Job Posting - Cirque du Soleil, Digital Music Supervisor

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gavinwhiteley

Job Posting - Cirque du Soleil, Digital Music Supervisor

Post by gavinwhiteley » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:29 am

Hello,

A full time job with Cirque du Soleil in Las Vegas has just been posted, which may be of interest to a few experienced Ableton Live users.
Although the job description does not mention it, programming experience with Cycling74 MAX is also an asset.
Musical performance and audio engineering experience, live show cueing, and Mac system maintenance are all part of the skill set for this position.

To submit your application, please go to the following site:
https://cirquedusoleil.taleo.net/career ... tl?lang=en

... and select the posting of "Digital Music Supervisor, Viva Elvis"
This job posting will remain open until Jan. 11th, 2011.

This is a full-time position with a comprehensive benefits package including health insurance and 401(k) retirement plan.
As I am not affiliated with Cirque's HR department, I am not at liberty to discuss salary, look at resumes, handle applications or make final hiring decisions.
Relocation to Las Vegas, USA by February 2011 will be expected.

The posted job description is as follows:

Digital Music Supervisor, Viva Elvis RES03578

Responsible for working as part of the artistic team to install, maintain, and operate audio equipment in a safe and consistent manner for VIVA ELVIS; the incumbent serves as the primary Ableton Playback operation and programming and cueing musicians during all performances.

Reporting to the Head of Audio:
Operate the Ableton Playback system for all performances and troubleshoot audio equipment as directed for performances, artist training, and maintenance.
Calling and cueing the musicians during the show.
In collaboration with the Band leader maintaining the music at a high level of quality. 
Preserve the ongoing, long-term integrity of the sound during performances and for rehearsals, in keeping with the original intent of the designers.
Inspect and maintain audio equipment; update maintenance and inspection records as directed.
Maintain a safe working environment at all times by complying with all established safety policies and procedures; participate in all required safety classes and emergency rescue procedure training.
Maintain a flexible schedule for work calls, special events, rehearsals/training, maintenance and evening show performances.
Maintain cue track documentation and participate in cue track rotation as directed.
Develop a thorough knowledge of all Audio Department equipment specific to the production in order to operate equipment safely.
Participate in special projects including the installation of new audio show elements.
Perform other tasks and projects as assigned to you by the Artistic Director of the show.

Qualifications
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
College diploma in technical theater with an emphasis in sound design or a related artistic or production field OR any relevant work experience;
A minimum of five (5) years in live show technical or artistic support (or equivalent experience), with related experience with electronic keyboard programming.  Proficiency in use of Ableton Live is necessary;
Fluent in English, knowledge of French is an asset
Knowledge of Microsoft Office software for Windows
Must be available to work Viva Elvis show calendar, including all weekend days and holidays. 
Excellent computer skills; Must be proficient in the operation, programming and repair of electronic samplers; strong musical background with audio engineering experience required.  Musical training essential.  Electronics training and audio equipment repair an asset. 

Sincerely,
Gavin Whiteley
Ableton Certified Trainer
Cirque du Soleil - Las Vegas, NV

Mac OS 10.5 MacBook Pro, 4GB RAM / Win XP 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4GB RAM
RME HDSPe MADI & MADIface

spacecat

Re: Job Posting - Cirque du Soleil, Digital Music Supervisor

Post by spacecat » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:47 pm

*Must be proficient in the operation, programming and repair of electronic samplers*

seriously? :P

gavinwhiteley

Post by gavinwhiteley » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:07 pm

The quoted phrase is keeping in line with standard job descriptions for similar positions on other Cirque shows which, up until a few years ago, did include hardware samplers as well as software samplers for some shows - though this show does not use hardware samplers. "Maintenance and repair" in this sense is not so much the machine itself, but rather the content - programming, organization and understanding digital audio standards.

Mac OS 10.5 MacBook Pro, 4GB RAM / Win XP 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 4GB RAM

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:30 am

Gavin, thanks for posting this!

I'm currently over at the Venetian, but I'm going to submit my resume for this.

spacecat

Post by spacecat » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:29 pm

where are my manners...?!:P

yes, thanks for posting this..=)

I am too far away, but it sounds like it would have been a fun new experience... (learn some french, gambling n so on:P) get me a visa and ill do it for a season :P

anywho,

cheerio=)

p.s. I only fix and program mechanical samplers or the ones without moving parts or electricity:P ;) lol

jimdrake

Post by jimdrake » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:25 pm

Hi,

I wonder, how does Cirque handle applicants not from the states?

And how much is French used on a daily basis?

I am currently in a French speaking area, but I work largely in English.

James.

gavinwhiteley

Post by gavinwhiteley » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:39 pm

Both excellent questions.

For this specific position, the applicant must have work authorization for the U.S. (citizenship, Green Card, work visa, etc.) OR have prior experience with Cirque du Soleil.
This is a function of our prior experience with the U.S. immigration services, and what is realistic to be approved - not a judgment by Cirque du Soleil.

On "Viva ELVIS", our musical directors and most of our 12-person live band speak French, as I do (this is my current position, BTW), and while not essential, French is an asset for good communication in this particular group of talented individuals. Again, this varies from show to show, and this is the case for this 1 of 27 Cirque du Soleil shows worldwide.

Thank you again for your questions.

gavinwhiteley

Post by gavinwhiteley » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:49 pm

FYI - for a recent sample of the "Viva Elvis", go to this link:
http://www.ustream.tv/SonyElectronics
... and scroll ahead to 01:06:20.

This is from yesterday's CES convention here in Las Vegas. Music for this event, including our live band, was edited and mixed entirely in Ableton Live.

gavinwhiteley

Post by gavinwhiteley » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:35 am

Just a reminder - this job posting will be available until Jan. 11th. However, to be safe, please have your online application submitted before the end of the day (Los Angeles time zone) on Jan. 10th.

As previously mentioned, only persons authorized to work in the U.S., and/or with prior work experience with Cirque du Soleil, can be considered for this position.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:54 am

My word, that really is a damn good job opening, good luck to those that apply.

transology

Post by transology » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:54 pm

Gavin,
I'm sure, deep in my heart and in my mind that I'm the one you guys are looking for this position. Hope I'll meet you soon.

Have a nice weekend !

Pascal Nguyen Deschênes
OS X - L8

Nephew

Post by Nephew » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:38 pm

This really is an excellent opportunity for some one who meets the qualifications. While I myself do meet most of the qualifications, the one I'm lacking in is the 5 year minimum unfortunately. Would be nice to see some one from here scoop up the position! Lots of talented individuals here who are more than qualified for this I'm sure.

It's already been stated but wanted to say thanks again to Gavin for giving us the heads up on here.

Cheers!

Spectrumdisco

Post by Spectrumdisco » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:22 pm

Looks like a good job for someone. Have been to a couple Cirque productions and have always been impressed.