NAMM 2011 :: Ableton Live 9

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
gtodd876
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:00 pm
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: NAMM 2011 :: Ableton Live 9

Post by gtodd876 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:32 am

Friend_Kami - I also had all those problems when I really tried hard to use looper for so long after 8 was released and finally gave up. You probably have already tried these but Sooperlooper and Mobius are much better and much more solid loopers. Ab's Looper was always buggy for me too.
-----------------------------------------------
Todd Matthews
http://www.facebook.com/mydarlingfury
http://twitter.com/mydarlingfury | http://mydarlingfury.com

Piplodocus
Posts: 791
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:48 pm
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: NAMM 2011 :: Ableton Live 9

Post by Piplodocus » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:26 am

I'd like upbeats (coming in on the 3rd or 4th beat of the bar) too. Would be great for scene changes having extra drumhits or guitar/keyboard/vocal entry. Otherwise it can make the music get "blocky" dull changes using scene lauches.
Image
Mac OSX: 10.8.2, Live Suite: 9.0.2 (64-bit) Live user since:v5 (Above now has an APC40, 8GB RAM and a Diezel 212F Cab but currently too lazy to re-draw it all)

friend_kami
Posts: 2255
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 10:10 pm

Re: NAMM 2011 :: Ableton Live 9

Post by friend_kami » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:56 pm

gtodd876 wrote:Friend_Kami - I also had all those problems when I really tried hard to use looper for so long after 8 was released and finally gave up. You probably have already tried these but Sooperlooper and Mobius are much better and much more solid loopers. Ab's Looper was always buggy for me too.

but the looper was the biggest marketing machine for live 8, and it doesnt work. that and share was the top features that was announced with 8 and share isnt even buggy; its cancelled completely and was even in a beta state upon release, but customers were not informed about this, until after purchase.

looper doesnt work, sure. should i use a workaround and use a vst plugin (theres a reason im not using plugins, one of them beeing portability and another beeing stability, then) just because i got fed false marketing? no sir. if they want money for live 9 from me then i will simply say "ive had it" and move on. surely live users are loyal but this is just ridiculous. i love live, i really really do, but you have to acknowledge the fact that you got screwed by ableton in the rear, people. if ableton wants to save their reputation they should either leave namm 2011 alone, or announce a free update for previous customers, which adresses previous bugs aswell as introduces new features, without the common bloat that they occasionally hands out to their users (free "livepacks" featuring wav samples and.. uh.. more wavsamples, perhaps) as an attempt to make amends.

we are paying customers and we paid a LOT of money, and many of us bought 8 for the share feature and looper feature alone, we should at the least expect a working version of the two some 1.5 years after purchase, no?

for me, ableton have lost my trust. the only reason im still using live right now is the session view (which others are picking up on, mind you) and the fact that i paid so much money for it that leaving it doesnt feel right.

gtodd876
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:00 pm
Location: Virginia
Contact:

Re: NAMM 2011 :: Ableton Live 9

Post by gtodd876 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:40 pm

I agree with you 100%. I was just trying to offer some help to keep you looping/making music because I can empathize with your anger. Obviously we both really love Live or we wouldn't be here checking the forums for a brighter future:) Hopefully 2k11 will bring Live back into our workflows.
-----------------------------------------------
Todd Matthews
http://www.facebook.com/mydarlingfury
http://twitter.com/mydarlingfury | http://mydarlingfury.com

humnumb
Posts: 636
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:27 pm

Re: NAMM 2011 :: Ableton Live 9

Post by humnumb » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:43 pm

friend_kami wrote:for me, ableton have lost my trust. the only reason im still using live right now is the session view (which others are picking up on, mind you) and the fact that i paid so much money for it that leaving it doesnt feel right.
I've actually stopped using Live altogether for composition purposes as Maschine already has a much more flexible "session view" than Live where you can actually record automation into clips and you can actually do things that's like having follow actions for scenes, loop certain scenes or only one scene...etc. And everything can be done all from the dedicated controller without looking at the computer screen. And of course, the 1.6 update is dropping this month as public beta, bringing plugin hosting among others. Game changer in my opinion. Anyway, yeah, Live is slowly losing its grip as the dominant player in this field.

alex.the.forge
Posts: 1424
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:29 am

Re: NAMM 2011 :: Ableton Live 9

Post by alex.the.forge » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:00 am

Angstrom wrote:I have no interest in soundcloud integration.
The concept behind (and the usefulness of) Share is completely different.
I would actually be very interested in it because I use soundcloud all the time and it's actually a little bit of a PITA - maybe MP3 etc support would go some way to helping here, but at the moment it's a bit irritating when you have to do it a lot - being able to just choose "upload to soundcloud as MP3 or AIF" would be awesome and save a lot of fiddling.

Mister36
Posts: 394
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:49 pm

Re: NAMM 2011 :: Ableton Live 9

Post by Mister36 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:06 am

alex.the.forge wrote:I would actually be very interested in it because I use soundcloud all the time and it's actually a little bit of a PITA - maybe MP3 etc support would go some way to helping here, but at the moment it's a bit irritating when you have to do it a lot - being able to just choose "upload to soundcloud as MP3 or AIF" would be awesome and save a lot of fiddling.
I think most people's qualm about this is that it's the kind of feature they probably shouldn't be spending their time with when there are various other things much more pressing. To the users and to them as a company. As someone stated on here somewhere earlier, other DAW's and programs/apps are fast closing in and even overtaking Live on various fronts. And I don't think integration with Soundcloud is going to catapult them back to the top of the charts and firmly back into our hearts.

alex.the.forge
Posts: 1424
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:29 am

Re: NAMM 2011 :: Ableton Live 9

Post by alex.the.forge » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:29 am

Mister36 wrote:
alex.the.forge wrote:I would actually be very interested in it because I use soundcloud all the time and it's actually a little bit of a PITA - maybe MP3 etc support would go some way to helping here, but at the moment it's a bit irritating when you have to do it a lot - being able to just choose "upload to soundcloud as MP3 or AIF" would be awesome and save a lot of fiddling.
I think most people's qualm about this is that it's the kind of feature they probably shouldn't be spending their time with when there are various other things much more pressing. To the users and to them as a company. As someone stated on here somewhere earlier, other DAW's and programs/apps are fast closing in and even overtaking Live on various fronts. And I don't think integration with Soundcloud is going to catapult them back to the top of the charts and firmly back into our hearts.
it depends - as they are already working on the Share function it may be a fairly simple process to have it work with soundcloud

Angstrom
Posts: 14705
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: NAMM 2011 :: Ableton Live 9

Post by Angstrom » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:26 pm

Re:soundcloud
Perhaps it's the prospect of yet another 3rd party corporate tie-in that makes me so uneasy.
But more likely that it seems "cheesy". Like a 2011 version of "export to Myspace", it basically screams " R U da loops beginner! Go straight from our included phat techno loops to showing all UR friendz on Soundcloud. And also... Farmville integration! "
Not that soundcloud is for beginners, but any app that spreads itself so thinly seems that way. "ableton magic family music machine"


So yeah, some users use soundcloud, but some use CDs. Do you want CD burning too?
This is my problem. Program diffusion of purpose.

Jarvisimon
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:29 pm
Location: England

Re: NAMM 2011 :: Ableton Live 9

Post by Jarvisimon » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:55 pm

Where is this "soundcloud" stuff coming from? Is it rumour or fact?

Angstrom
Posts: 14705
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:22 pm
Contact:

Re: NAMM 2011 :: Ableton Live 9

Post by Angstrom » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:22 pm

Pure Rumour
a few people asked for it, then started treating itlike some kind of mission critical function. Baffling to me. Surely - even if you are a habitual soundcloud user it would only come about 500th on a wishlist. To even mention it seems suspect. MP3 export I can certainly see placing high on some users lists, perhaps DJs, as a timesaver, but soundcloud ... Hmmm. I bet any user can think of 50 more important things.

Pasha
Posts: 3241
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:45 pm
Location: Lost Island
Contact:

Re: NAMM 2011 :: Ableton Live 9

Post by Pasha » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:34 pm

Angstrom wrote:Pure Rumour
a few people asked for it, then started treating itlike some kind of mission critical function. Baffling to me. Surely - even if you are a habitual soundcloud user it would only come about 500th on a wishlist. To even mention it seems suspect. MP3 export I can certainly see placing high on some users lists, perhaps DJs, as a timesaver, but soundcloud ... Hmmm. I bet any user can think of 50 more important things.
+1

Don't feel like soundclound is so important.
Apple iMac 2013 / Macbook Late 2012
Live 10 Suite,Zebra ,Guitar, Bass, VG99, JV1010 and some controllers
______________________________________
Music : http://alonetone.com/pasha

LoopStationZebra
Posts: 10586
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:57 pm
Contact:

Re: NAMM 2011 :: Ableton Live 9

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:41 pm

meh.

Not half as goofy as various iPad beat making apps that let you Easily and Painlessly Upload Your Killer New Beat To Soundcloud!!!

:lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

fx23
Posts: 798
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: NAMM 2011 :: Ableton Live 9

Post by fx23 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:57 pm

soundcloud suport WTF is that joke rumor??? Do some seriously beleive in that????

it take less than 10mn to bounce,convert and upload. how many people are making and uploading a new track every day?

there are millions of more important things, it's probably the less and more stupid thing ever requested.

alex.the.forge
Posts: 1424
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:29 am

Re: NAMM 2011 :: Ableton Live 9

Post by alex.the.forge » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:02 pm

Angstrom wrote:Pure Rumour
a few people asked for it, then started treating itlike some kind of mission critical function. Baffling to me. Surely - even if you are a habitual soundcloud user it would only come about 500th on a wishlist. To even mention it seems suspect. MP3 export I can certainly see placing high on some users lists, perhaps DJs, as a timesaver, but soundcloud ... Hmmm. I bet any user can think of 50 more important things.
I can't be arsed scrolling possibly a third up the screen to find out who but I thought someone said Ableton had actually said they were into the idea and were considering it, and I was really responding to that.

Soundclound isn't really in the same league as myspace and is fast becoming industry standard for sending tracks to labels both as demos and as masters for labels to release.

This is something I have found I've had to do lots of times so if it's easily possible, such as with a minor adjustment to "share" then I'm all for it.

But then even just MP3 export would make life easier.

Post Reply