Ampkit or Amplitube?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LoopStationZebra

Re: Ampkit or Amplitube?

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:06 pm

:lol:

Yeah, it's truly the software like GR4 that has led the way at this point. Why the fuck they don't make a hardware version - where the plug is just a visual GUI - is beyond me. That's the one thing that sucks about pure modeler plugs - the CPU hit is still fairly substantial if you want anything but a distortion and reverb effect going, lol.

Even then, GR4 isn't without it's faults. I've been studying up on it because I'm interested in purchasing, and true DAW integration is good, but could be better. For GR4, apparently you now have to manually select the patch Bank first for making a program change via any MIDI controller. Sort of, eh, defeating the purpose. :?

Lots of folks have complained, and I think I've seen one hamfisted workaround, but not sure if it's ever been fixed after all these months. Still, GR4 offers the best flexibility I've seen for true digital integration/manipulation.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:24 pm

So I did some more research and there's some more :x

The HD series doesn't have any bass specific modeling but the X3 Live does :x

1. Can you assign the expression pedal to anything on the X3 like you can with the HD series?
2. Are the bass modeling features worth a damn in the X3 or is it just an added gimmick?
3. Is the separate bass kidney pod thingy worth a shit? You can get one used fairly cheap.

Also the low and mid end HDs send and receive MIDI through the USB connect but the 500 doesn't, WTF? :x

And really the main thing that has kept me from noodling on my guitar is I DON'T HAVE ANY PICKS and it's been that way for over a month and there is a Guitar Center walking distance from me. :lol: :x

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:22 pm

you can assign the expression pedal to nearly everything on the X3 Live... not everything, but close enough. i haven't actually done it much and I think it can only control one parameter, but the choice is pretty wide.

the bass modeling... well, i play bass (sort of), and when you choose the different amps, it sounds different. the line 6 sub dub model is lots of fun! so I would say it's pretty effective, and sounds good. i play through a Hafler power amp into an Avatar cabinet, usually using either the ampeg, fender, or sunn models - the ampeg sounds like rock, the fender sounds 'vintage', and the sunn sort of hi-fi, like you'd expect. The compressors in the X3 Live (and the pod HD from what I hear as well) are somewhat limited; I'd really like a normal one with attack and release controls, but you just get threshold or 'compression' for most of them, perhaps with makeup gain. That could be better for bass.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:32 pm

theophilus wrote:you can assign the expression pedal to nearly everything on the X3 Live... not everything, but close enough. i haven't actually done it much and I think it can only control one parameter, but the choice is pretty wide.

the bass modeling... well, i play bass (sort of), and when you choose the different amps, it sounds different. the line 6 sub dub model is lots of fun! so I would say it's pretty effective, and sounds good. i play through a Hafler power amp into an Avatar cabinet, usually using either the ampeg, fender, or sunn models - the ampeg sounds like rock, the fender sounds 'vintage', and the sunn sort of hi-fi, like you'd expect. The compressors in the X3 Live (and the pod HD from what I hear as well) are somewhat limited; I'd really like a normal one with attack and release controls, but you just get threshold or 'compression' for most of them, perhaps with makeup gain. That could be better for bass.
Thanks for the info! Unfortunately I got hypnotized by the demo videos of the HD using the expression pedal to control multiple parameters at once and the possibilities therein. :x

I'm just flustered when manufactures build on experience from the past, but remove past features on current models. Would it have killed them to put bass modeling in the new HD series? :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:55 am

Bah.

I just found out that all of the new Line6 HD Pods no longer support MIDI recieve (except program changes); while at the same time improving the MIDI send.

Dolts. :lol:

:x

The Leveller

Post by The Leveller » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:52 am

LoopStationZebra wrote::lol:

Yeah, it's truly the software like GR4 that has led the way at this point. Why the fuck they don't make a hardware version - where the plug is just a visual GUI - is beyond me. That's the one thing that sucks about pure modeler plugs - the CPU hit is still fairly substantial if you want anything but a distortion and reverb effect going, lol.

Even then, GR4 isn't without it's faults. I've been studying up on it because I'm interested in purchasing, and true DAW integration is good, but could be better. For GR4, apparently you now have to manually select the patch Bank first for making a program change via any MIDI controller. Sort of, eh, defeating the purpose. :?

Lots of folks have complained, and I think I've seen one hamfisted workaround, but not sure if it's ever been fixed after all these months. Still, GR4 offers the best flexibility I've seen for true digital integration/manipulation.
GR4 is the daddy for me, but I have to say the problems I've had with it Live are a pain because of the problem you describe.

But in Live 7 I had my set so that I just set midi clips to send program change to GR4 and change my patch when I selected scenes with the FCB1010 in Live. Worked like a charm.

Then, and for some reason I cannot make it go away, with Live 8 there is a fade in during the patch change in GR4 as a plug in Live and so you want to come back in on the next down beat, but you get a fade-in which destroys all your impact.

For some reason it just doesn't switch fast enough. Since I'm not playing Live at the moment its not an issue.

As a studio tool GR4 is totally what I am after in terms of the patch set up, split signals, cross overs, total control.

My main complaint with it is that the majrity of the amp sims are crap, CoolPlex is amazing though and the new(ish) Reflektor convo reverb incredible..even thought it was another $99...

I digress. Yes. Damn if they did and iPad version I am all in.

The iRig and amplitube stuff is a waste of time. It gathers dust in some cable box in my studio somewhere...must sell it soon.

Simbosan

Post by Simbosan » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:02 am

GRig is the only amp sim that doesn't make me shriek and recoil in horror, it's startlingly good and regularly awakens the inner rock dinosaur in me. Pods are good too, but sounds like they have ballsed up MIDI integration which sucks. Both however still sound 'farty' at the bottom to me, no grit at the bottom, but from A string up they are impressive.

Can't imagine an iPad being able to run GRig tho.

S
Ableton 9 Suite - Ozone 5
Room full of guitars!
Akai EWI USB : Loads of Sample Modeling instruments (the best ever!)
M-Audio FastTrack Pro
Turbo Nutter B*stard >>>> WINDOWS <<<< PC
Simbosan on Soundcloud

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:00 pm

Hardware
I've been very pleased with the overall tone and sound and flexibility of my Pod X3 Live. The bottom end is very tight. I'm regretting getting the floor model and not the rack mount with a separate volume pedal. Patch changes and other MIDI fun with FX settings can all be handled via dummy clips and my FCB1010. But lack of MIDI clock and other more robust MIDI routing was always a bummer with the Pod stuff (and the X3 was the MOST feature rich in terms of MIDI!).

With the move towards the complete absence of MIDI In on the new HD series, they've really taken a huge step backward. Anyone producing a piece of hardware that's digital, contains MIDI In and Out, and not offering absolute full MIDI (inc clock sync), is just fucking retarded and deserves to lose their marketshare. Again, just a hamfisted dunderheaded move that reinforces my long-held belief that Line6 pretty much thinks that 99% of their customer base are metal loving jobless slacker potheads riffing out Metallica licks in Mum & Dad's shag carpet filled basement (which may or may not be true, but you certainly shouldn't run a business with that model in mind and then label your product as 'industry leading' and 'state of the art' lol). There's a very fucking good reason why NI has started to DOMINATE the amp modeling market with Guitar Rig: It's part of your digital friggin world that can be totally integrated into other digital tools. (current patch selection weirdness aside, of course, lol).

Sorry to come off so strong. I'm a little worked up as of late with MIDI issues, and why HUGE market sectors (iPad apps) are acting as if it's not important.

Apps
As I mentioned on the 2nd page of this thread, my fav iPad amp sim app is iShred. It's gone largely unmentioned on a lot of sites, but I find it to be the cleanest sound so far. The modeling isn't bad, and the interface is wonderfully simple. All of the others have been removed from my device, lol.