learning to sing

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
MonsieurBon

Re: learning to sing

Post by MonsieurBon » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:44 pm

I used to think I couldn't sing. But then it turned out most of the things I was trying to sing to were slightly out of my vocal range. Learning my range, how to transpose things properly and what I could and couldn't sing along to really made a difference. So then I just started singing along to songs that were in my range, and using a capo when I played guitar, and things really started improving.

Also, practice really goes a long way in improving your voice technique. It's hard to be really good at it immediately. I think people assume that since we all talk all the time, how hard could it really be to sing? But the more you do it, the better it gets. I even taught myself some basic harmony just by singing the "wrong" notes (as in not singing what the singer is singing, nor an octave above or below him/her) until it sounds "good." Simply making an awful racket in my car while singing and driving has helped a lot.

I'm not saying you or I wouldn't benefit from a voice teacher, because we probably would. But try to give yourself maybe a month of singing along with things, and then see if you can do it on your own.

MPGK

Post by MPGK » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:28 pm

Obvious: with or without a teacher, to be a good singer, you have to sing a lot. Every day.

MonsieurBon

Post by MonsieurBon » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:54 am

MPGK wrote:Obvious: with or without a teacher, to be a good singer, you have to sing a lot. Every day.
Also, if you do this, you get to know how your voice changes with your throat health, and how your throat health varies with humidity, dust, etc.

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:18 am

and after all that.. when you think you have a good singing voice..
get a Neumann and start over :P

rsaulo

Post by rsaulo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:03 pm

1) - Record your voice on a audio track
2) - Drop Melodyne on the track.
3) - Tweak until sounds good.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: