So where are your studios exactly???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
squelcht

So where are your studios exactly???

Post by squelcht » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:57 pm

Right now me & my lady are living in a 2 BR duplex & 1 of the rooms are where my studio is. We're looking to move out around spring time to a more spacious place. However I really want to seek out a place that #1 Isn't a duplex :| & #2 Has either a finished basement or finished attic space where I can use it for a studio. A basement seems more ideal given it has a more enclosed construction however a attic space with windows to view from would be fKn sweet 8) So where is your current studio space being occupied in? What do you think would be the best studio space between a finished basement or finished attic?

Jarvisimon

Re: So where are your studios exactly???

Post by Jarvisimon » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:02 pm

squelcht wrote:Right now me & my lady are living in a 2 BR duplex & 1 of the rooms are where my studio is. We're looking to move out around spring time to a more spacious place. However I really want to seek out a place that #1 Isn't a duplex :| & #2 Has either a finished basement or finished attic space where I can use it for a studio. A basement seems more ideal given it has a more enclosed construction however a attic space with windows to view from would be fKn sweet 8) So where is your current studio space being occupied in? What do you think would be the best studio space between a finished basement or finished attic?
You cause less noise pollution in a basement, however, you've only artificial light.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:10 pm

Attic, bro. I used to have my studio in the basement of our last house. I shit you not, once I moved to the attic in the place we are in now, my music (and the desire to make it) increased dramatically.

Attic Baby! Here's a shot. Slightly out of date because all controllers have now been replaced with the iPad. :lol:

EDIT: Okay. now it's a current shot. :x

*I mean, if you've got a bitchin basement that's finished off somewhat in a cool way, it could work. Somehow our basements are always pretty wretched. Gotta work on ours soon.
Last edited by LoopStationZebra on Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:22 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
Attic Baby! Here's a shot. Slightly out of date because all controllers have now been replaced with the iPad. :lol:
I almost thought you couldn't sneak it in this time.

smaucher

Post by smaucher » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:23 pm

what the hell are you doing /w a computer? you have two CHAPMAN STICKS! what do you need all the rest for? I'd die for having a stick!
you start bleeding - I start sceaming
propaganda 1985

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:25 pm

Time for a new photo LSZ...

Mines in the garage, so kind of a basement similar set up. I really miss having natural light. that would be better. But sometime a low light situation is cool too.

But...view would be better.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:26 pm

sporkles wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:
I almost thought you couldn't sneak it in this time.

lol. I know, right? But God Forbid anyone should think I'm still using that Launchpad. :x :lol:

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:29 pm

smaucher wrote:what the hell are you doing /w a computer? you have two CHAPMAN STICKS! what do you need all the rest for? I'd die for having a stick!

lol. Because of the fact that you are a Propaganda fan, I might just GIVE you one of them.

UKRuss wrote:Time for a new photo LSZ...
:x

I know. I should do a panorama shot of the attic. I love it up here. I never leave. I take all of my meals up here and have the paper delivered every morning right to the door.

BTW, where's YOUR photo?

smaucher

Post by smaucher » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:31 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
smaucher wrote:what the hell are you doing /w a computer? you have two CHAPMAN STICKS! what do you need all the rest for? I'd die for having a stick!

lol. Because of the fact that you are a Propaganda fan, I might just GIVE you one of them.
yessss. pleeeeeze! let me know the price.
you start bleeding - I start sceaming
propaganda 1985

carpekd

Post by carpekd » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:38 pm

I live in a 1 bedroom apt, so I'm stuck in the bedroom.... But it is nice having a view to the outside (especially on a sunny day)

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:46 pm

Damn Loops what a seriously bitching space you have man :D Sooo inviting! After seeing this it seems this is EXACTLY what I want to go for. The natural light aspect is a huge plus...I really think I will snap if I have to work in a dungeon of a basement :(

PIMP

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Niiiiiiice attic space that.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:53 pm

Tnx squelcht. Finishing an attic doesn't have to be all tons of drywall, paint and carpet. What I did there was take a fairly raw space and:

1. Added insulation between the roof rafters.
2. Nailed in painted beadboard (4' x 8' fake beadboard sheets, not the real stuff) and trim; holding the face away from the rafter faces so that the 'attic feel' was maintained by seeing the rafters.
3. Sanding the red pine floor and just giving it a coat of polyurethane. Sand and then coat again.
4. Added power/voice/data lines within exposed conduit around the perimeter of the entire attic.

This was much less expensive and easier than a shitload of drywall/mud/paint and proper fitting of receptacles within the walls, etc.

:)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:59 pm

Basements are nice because they let in less of the outside noise, and they're nice and cool in the summer. Basements suck because being surrounded by concrete walls on all sides can cause some acoustic issues, and they're freaking cold in the winter.

Reverse the above for Attics. Warm in the winter, hot in the summer. Lots of nice light, but sloped ceilings can cause acoustic issues too, depending on how tall they are. More to worry about with sound getting into and out of an attic, but if you're high enough, maybe not an issue.

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:28 pm

Tarekith wrote:Basements are nice because they let in less of the outside noise, and they're nice and cool in the summer. Basements suck because being surrounded by concrete walls on all sides can cause some acoustic issues, and they're freaking cold in the winter.

Reverse the above for Attics. Warm in the winter, hot in the summer. Lots of nice light, but sloped ceilings can cause acoustic issues too, depending on how tall they are. More to worry about with sound getting into and out of an attic, but if you're high enough, maybe not an issue.
Yeah thats exactly the pro & cons I've acknowledged...I'm not in the market to buy a house & make some huge remodeling project so I will look for already finished spaces. I would really like to find a place that has a constructed "bonus room" (which I suppose is like a finished attic but fitted like small bedroom) I wont need a'lot of space so something like that would be groovy. Thing is though (as Tarekith brought to good light) I'm really looking for a good space where getting loud wouldn't be much an issue. I figured not having a studio space on the same ground level as the rest of the house would make a major difference & work more in my interest. Theres a'lot of newer houses developed in my tow that include these "bonus rooms". They sound rather practical the more I think about it...