Suite DL or Box...biggest differences??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
DanRxDrums

Suite DL or Box...biggest differences??

Post by DanRxDrums » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:22 pm

Okay so from talking to other users, I've found that the biggest difference between the dl and boxed version of suite is that with the boxed version you get both instruments and samples. However, with the dl version, you only get instruments. Is there anything else I should really be aware about before dropping casheesh on the upgrade?
http://www.soundcloud.com/BlackAndWhiteDream
Macbook Os X 10.6.5 2.2 Ghz, 4GB Ram, Live 8 Suite, Akai APC40, Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, MAudio Oxygen 8 v.2

UKRuss

Re: Suite DL or Box...biggest differences??

Post by UKRuss » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:23 pm

Go for it if you want, you get plenty of cool stuff even with the dl.

I just add, from your previous posts I wonder whether you need it or not.

What are you hoping you'll get out of it?

DanRxDrums

Post by DanRxDrums » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:32 pm

Basically I want the most flexible version that way the more familiar I am, the less I am limited from the program. I understand that my knowledge will limit me until I become more efficient and competent with the program however, I want to make sure that if I'm dropping 5 or 6 bills, I get the most bang for the buck.
Macbook Os X 10.6.5 2.2 Ghz, 4GB Ram, Live 8 Suite, Akai APC40, Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, MAudio Oxygen 8 v.2

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:39 pm

Well session drums and EIC2 can be purchased as add ons anyway so DL version is for you.

EIC2 is pretty ordinary anyway and you certainly going to have most of those covered by thirs party plugs in time. Secon, and most important, you're already bulding your own drum kits from samples so session drums is also not a big deal for you.

DL, all the way.

You'll also solve your Impulse problems by moving up to drum racks...far more versatile. Although I like Impulse, for certain things it works better.

DanRxDrums

Post by DanRxDrums » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:44 pm

Okay, so basically I'll be missing out on already build drums?

And because I'm using lite, I can't build a rack.

CFM

Post by CFM » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:45 pm

I've went for the boxed version mainy for the sample content. Saying that I'm starting to use less both the ableton virtual synths and samples and find myself using more my Arturia, NI and Gmedia Music stuff.
Last edited by CFM on Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:48 pm

Correct.

Session drums is a nicely sampled set of acoustic drums, nice with the Live integration but over time you'll either build your own, buy a 3rd party acoustic drum platform or you can go back and drop the cash on session drums DVD from the abes.

Then again you don't get your set of ableton stickers with the DL version... :D

As CFM has found you see, you end up buying 3rd party stuff, but I still think if you have discipline and keep the G.A.S under control, Live Suite DL has everything you'll ever need.

DanRxDrums

Post by DanRxDrums » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:53 pm

CFM wrote:Arturia, NI and Gmedia Music stuff.
Are these third party?

Also, the only thing I plan on purchasing is a focusrite interface. I figure with the apc40 and the program, that will keep me busy enough. Every time I even think about buying something, I just feel like my knowledge percentage goes down the toilet. I'd rather become proficient at this first, which may take some time, but I think on the back end, it will make it easier to plug in other gear later down the road.

DanRxDrums

Post by DanRxDrums » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:56 pm

Also, can you take a look at my question about the apc 40? Perhaps you have some knowledge on that?

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:57 pm

:lol: GAS, you see?

One minute you have an APC and Live Lite now you want Arturia synths, NI samples, focusrite interface and then you'll need some good quality monitors too to get the most out of your interface.

Unless you need to plug stuff in now, guitars etc. then stuck with what you have, upgrade Live, learn it and use headphones.

Then, when you absolutely need to becuase your productions need proper monitoring/mixing etc. then yes, interface and monitors.

The 3rd party stuff does nothing that Live's native stuff cannot, but you'll certainly be made to feel that it does and thats when more money gets spent. :-)

DanRxDrums

Post by DanRxDrums » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:05 pm

I see what you mean.

However, I just wanted to know if those were 3rd party. I have no intention on purchasing them.

Besides, will an interface and monitors really be that much of a leap?

Thanks

CFM

Post by CFM » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:17 pm

Pretty good advice from UKRuss! Gmedia, NI, Arturia, and many others are 3rd party plug-ins. For example, I used Sampler that came with Live Suite (and still do) because for basic sampling is quick and easy and gets results. For more complex sampling use NI Kontakt.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:23 pm

Interface and monitors are essential in the end, but to be honest, you do yourself a favour by waiting. Then you know exactly what you need to plug in, so, how many inputs and outputs you need for midi and audio, dictating what interface you need, rather than buying a focusrite model X and then finding in six months you don't have enough inputs etc.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:27 pm

AFAIK the only difference is a box, manual and stickers.

do the download then hit up options-repair Library and you get whatever content you're paranoid you missed out on.

UKRuss wrote:EIC2 is pretty ordinary anyway and you certainly going to have most of those covered by thirs party plugs in time.
true but I often read about third party plug ins causing problems with Live 8. I think that's another reason I have good luck, I use very few third party stuff.

YMMV
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

maky355

Post by maky355 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:15 am

Tone Deft wrote:AFAIK the only difference is a box, manual and stickers.
But that's incorrect information.

I actually wanted to know same thing so i used search option and i found this thread. I also searched whole ableton website but there is no real specification.

So what i am asking is can anyone really clarify what's the biggest difference within these samples? Look here (that's why i said it is incorrect) because for download it is clear that it is only 3GB of sounds while boxed version have 40gb of sounds https://www.ableton.com/en/shop/

IMHO 37gb difference of sounds isn't that small number and i would really like to know what samples will i miss if i order download version?? I am clear with the fact that plugin wise and FX wise DL and Boxed are same and i would prefer DL version because of ease of use and no real shipping cost/tax etc.

So please can anyone clarify this difference in samples?

Thaks people..