Ableton Looper Sync Issues

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
spatz

Ableton Looper Sync Issues

Post by spatz » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:28 am

I've started using Ableton's own Looper (8.2.1) on several tracks and soon noticed severe syncing issues:

- Settings: Song control: none / Tempo control: Follow song / Quantization: 1/2
- 1-bar-loop

Building up the loop (within like 30 secs) works fine, but after about 1, 1.5 min. the loop starts to fall out of sync and after 2 min. It is completely unusable.

- Is this a known issue?
- If yes, will it be fixed?
- If it's an issue and won't be fixed, are there other viable, rock-solid options? (Without having to get a hardware looper)

(Another thing was that loops cannot be created while the Monitor Setting is OFF. This would be great though as if you play live and have a direct signal on the P.A. you don't need the direct signal from Live which then only adds to the feedback probability on stage. I often use that feature while recording a normal audio clip.)

mojofunk

Re: Ableton Looper Sync Issues

Post by mojofunk » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:13 am

I'm not having sync issues, but read through this thread to solve your volume problem: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=154748

pskept

Post by pskept » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:34 am

bump. i'm having the same problem and i didn't find an answer in the aforementioned thread. please help. after two minutes its very obviously out of sync. i tested this in a completely blank slate with no other plug ins. set to record then overdub, quantization global, tempo control is follow song.

edit: 9.6
edit 2: i saw the thread suggesting to turn off delay compensation. i tried this and it did not fix my problem.

pskept

Post by pskept » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:08 pm

the problem is leaving looper in overdub mode the entire time. i liked jamming and being able to just send to it at any moment and it would loop automatically then using the feedback control to slowly let the loops fade out. if i do the same thing only click the overdub button before sending and click the play button when done it stays in sync. i just need to remember to click the play button because the overdub doesn't have a setting like record does with its record x bars then play.

here is what seems weird to me though regarding the last setting. if i can record x bars then play or record x bars then overdub why would i want to record x bars then overdub if its just going to fall out of sync? but i think the answer is because one would click record when they wanted to start, let it overdub and do so until they are happy with it then click play which would be ok.

i'd still like to just be able to leave it in overdub all the time. what is it that i don't understand and will make me realize why this doesn't work?