Best way to arrange songs when DJ'ing with apc40???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
zahnerj

Best way to arrange songs when DJ'ing with apc40???

Post by zahnerj » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:10 am

I am DJing with an apc40 and willjmarshall's free template, which I love. Though, I am having trouble figuring out the best way to arrange/organize the songs in my set. Currently I basically just have 2 tracks playing at once and i have the songs marked to start at either a break, the main part of the song or just a small loop. Any ideas? Suggestions? Methods? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, peace n beats

\

zahnerj

Re: Best way to arrange songs when DJ'ing with apc40???

Post by zahnerj » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:23 pm

Wow no one can give advice on how to setup songs for djing, im suprised

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:28 pm

Well there are ALOT of threads on setting up DJ sets and in particular with the APC40.
Nothing to see here - move along!

samcharles

Post by samcharles » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:39 pm

Hi zahnerj,

I too am using the APC 40 which is working out a treat for me. Using only 4 of the channels, using the other four as splitters so I don't accidentally activate the wrong clip (in session mode).

There is no wrong or right way to DJ with ableton, providing its in session view, and not arrangement view.

My procedure includes:
1. Make sure audio file has been tagged and has been audio processed for level RMS sound.
2. Warp the song, nice and tight.
3. Save the ALS first, ensuring you want the playhead positioned where you want to reference the track when you are listening for the next song to play.
4. Now duplicate the warped track 5 times down one line. Use the different clips as different cue points throughout the track. My technique is to have an intro which is looped. Build up > Drop > Back In etc. What this enables the DJ to do is have more control over where the set is going.
5. Once 5 clips have been made, copy the name or one of the clips e.g. eric prdyz - call on me, then rename all 5 clips to inform you when you drop these over what exact parts of the track they are.
6. Select the 5 clips once renamed and drag back into where the original track is, it will ask you to create a new song file, you don't need to. These ALS files just need to look for the original track.
7. It will ask you to name the ASL project files, paste the name you copied so that in your library, you will have the original track to listen as reference, and a project pack in which you can drag over and use in session.

This probably sounds more complicated then it is, however I should make a video. Not sure if there is one already?
Sam Charles

http://www.samcharles.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/samcharles

Download all my new mixes and songs on the links above!

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:35 pm

samcharles wrote:I too am using the APC 40 which is working out a treat for me. Using only 4 of the channels, using the other four as splitters so I don't accidentally activate the wrong clip (in session mode).
Sam... can you explain this comment to me? What are you doing using four channels as splitters?
-Hamish
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | Xone:96 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

zahnerj

Post by zahnerj » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:41 pm

There are a couple videos, basically you have it set up like tom cosm. He splits the songs up like that, my only problem is i feel that it takes up too much space and time, when in most cases I dont want to use the whole entire song, I will normally only use loops of songs or certain parts. I do split the songs up but not in 5 pieces. I have red clips that are just solid kick loops, then blue clips which are normally breaks or slow begginings with no kick or bass, and green ones that are the beggining of songs or main parts. I'm still evolving with this and I do feel i lack enough control so I will mess with this 4 sure, thanks 4 the help, peace n beats

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:21 pm

I'll re-watch, I'm familiar already with how he splits out groups (drums, leads, etc.) into tracks to then DJ with. What I'm lost over is the "using the other four as splitters so I don't accidentally activate the wrong clip" comment. Is he just going back and forth between songs, i.e. tracks 1-4 for song 1, tracks 5-8 for song 2?
-Hamish
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | Xone:96 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

zahnerj

Post by zahnerj » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:54 pm

Yea thats what it sounds like to me, idk tho

zahnerj

Post by zahnerj » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:58 pm

You should definatly make a video, I'm anxious to see it on the screen.