New user introduction,

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Karldali

New user introduction,

Post by Karldali » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:09 pm

Hello to everyone here on the Ableton forum. :D

So i am an after hours DJ in the Geneva region of Switzerland, if you are near me give me a shout so we can swap tips and talk about our passion. here is a link to my myspace where you can find my sets, i mix minimal, tech house, tribal house and minimal techno. http://www.myspace.com/karldali

if you do check it out let me know what you think, cheers

So this is the first week i have had Ableton im in the process of doing the lessons and going through the user guide, learning all the new jargon and depth of this program. I can see that this is going to be a long learning process but something that im looking forward to.

I've also brought a ''music theory for dummies'' book to help me with my progression.

Do you remember your first month or so with the program, what are the things i should be focusing on in order to have a good base to start with.

Cheers
UK DJ based in Geneva, Switzerland. hopes to produce underground club tunes

Rabalder

Re: New user introduction,

Post by Rabalder » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:23 pm

Welcome Switzonian!

Karldali wrote:Do you remember your first month or so with the program, what are the things i should be focusing on in order to have a good base to start with.
Read the manual..

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:33 pm

Rabalder wrote:Welcome Switzonian!

Karldali wrote:Do you remember your first month or so with the program, what are the things i should be focusing on in order to have a good base to start with.
Read the manual..
+1
It might be a little dry to begin with, but familiarising yourself with the aspects of a program by looking through the manual is ALWAYS a good way to start. The Live manual is pretty well written and user-friendly, and if there's anything in it you don't understand then you can always google it to find out more.

There are also the built-in lessons which are great for taking you through the basics in a step-by-step fashion.

From there, I'd suggest finding something very very simple and fun that you can put together and then get more complicated as you learn and familiarise yourself with Live.

Good luck with it!
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

Karldali

Post by Karldali » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Cheers guys

If only i did'nt have to spend most of my days at work :(
UK DJ based in Geneva, Switzerland. hopes to produce underground club tunes

synnack

Post by synnack » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:34 am

I would watch the videos at http://www.youtube.com/abletoninc

there are many there that show you the basics that get you up and going quickly.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:45 am

read the sticky in the tips n tricks section
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27120

always leave the help box open (lower left corner of the screen.) spend time hovering over controls to read what they do.

if you hear about a feature or technique on this forum, make it a point to try it yourself. it's one thing to know where to click, it's another to actually click it and use it.

USE the software. force yourself to finish a song, any song, just for the sake of using the whole workflow.

warp 100 songs before you allow yourself to get pissed off, frustrated at or question Live's warping engine. it's not perfect but it does work and has a certain character. bitch all you want after doing 100. ;)

as you learn stuff, answer questions on the forum. that's a great way to reinforce what you know and people can point out details where you're wrong, great way to learn.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Musashi

Post by Musashi » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:26 am

Karldali wrote:Cheers guys

If only i did'nt have to spend most of my days at work :(
I worked at one corporation from 1993 until 2010 when it finally went out of business. I have to admit, since I've been out of work my Ableton Live skills have increased dramatically! Sad but true. Anyway, welcome to Ableton Live. Once you have the basics down you're probably gonna be hooked for life. Nothing compares.