BT's Stutter Edit is out

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tigali

Re: BT's Stutter Edit is out

Post by tigali » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:21 am

reeloy wrote:And before any of you spent 250 bucks on this....go and get max for live.....better investment...same procedure....and way beyond.....
+1

Even if you have no intention of learning Max the stuff that comes with it, along with all the free stuff that is constantly posted on Maxforlive.com makes it a bargain. I also think today or tomorrow is the last day of the discount.

docprosper

Post by docprosper » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:44 pm

tempus3r wrote:wow, those are the worse attempts to sell a plugin I've ever seen from a vendor
yeah, this was my point earlier. I think the video where Ableton is in the background is supposed to get the message across that this works as a plugin to Ableton, but no advantages of doing this are shown. Would have been much better if the guy was flipping between the DAW and the plugin, tweaking envelopes and firing off dummy clips to rock the plugin.
Funk N. Furter wrote:Post properly.
Ableton Live Suite | M4L | Powerbook | Launchpad | APC40 | Faderfox | 2x1200 | Xone:96 | ...
---> http://soundcloud.com/kilcraft

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:33 pm

I hope we get some user reviews in here at some point instead of just speculation or comparisons with no user experience.

And also try to consider that not all of us use Live exclusively. There's plenty of us who use multiple DAWs.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:37 pm

At that price the only review you ar likely to see are various rags who might get a preview copy for free.

Maybe they have a group buy eventually for a sensible price?
At 50 quid or so - I might have thought great - worth a look, but at 150/250 or whichever it is - my thought is you have to be fucking kidding!
Nothing to see here - move along!

esky

Post by esky » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:44 pm

.....but also brutally 90ties....face it...this product comes 5 years too late to rock.....
Funny, this is exactly what came to my mind... :)

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:09 pm

I'm not sure if Reaktor is still 99bucks, but with Reaktor you get a gazillion Stutter's.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:16 pm

seattletruth wrote:Wow, awesome! Now more people can sound the same and produce crap music and then think it makes up for it by chopping it up in random ways, and now with no effort even.

I'll be surprised if anybody can even give their "music" they make with this away for free.
I'm curious to see what the tool allows for. It totally depends on the functionality. People make the worst stutter edits today with tools available in Live, as well as with many other randomizing glitchers. I mean seriously randomness almost never sounds good and musical. Artillery is cool because it does let you be able to predict what's going to happen and therefor do something useful. I'm thinking this might be similar but with a different approach. I don't necessarily think that the stutter tools today overdone, I think there's still room for improvement in terms of them being like an instrument which allows for some skill and forethought, much the same as actual manual edits require. The finger is imo that type of design (Too much cpu for too many tracks though). And from the sound of the description it sounds like that was BT's goal. I'm willing to give it a look and see what concept he came up with. I really do think he's quite talented at his stutter edits and does them in a musical way, not random or superfluous, unlike most out there. So we'll see...
Professional Shark Jumper.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:46 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:I'm not sure if Reaktor is still 99bucks, but with Reaktor you get a gazillion Stutter's.
Full Reaktor is 399, maybe your thinking of Finger for Reaktor player - 79 I think?
This has micro loopers, but I would call it a beatmasher.

Also there is traktor12 for Guitar rig thatt includs the beatmasher and other fx from Traktor pro.

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:48 pm

i see some stuff that is somewhat different than attillery or the finger so it,s a same type live mashup-tool but with different and new results.
I think the "generator" is gonna be cool combining with the other effects.
So i,m curious about combining all the effects together under different keyzone,s. No info about that on the isotope site?
Also curious about the quality off the filters.
So i.m give the demo a try.

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:51 pm

in reaktor i see no ensembles that combines all the effects together under different keyzones or am i missing something?

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:55 pm

Finger switches effect based on key zone, though TBH I havnt looked at much.

mattadms

Post by mattadms » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:25 pm

Funny enough to see this coming up because one of the employees at iZotope ( https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~chanson9/ ) used to write a paper about the glitch-effect also mentioning BT in it.

For those who are interested:
https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~chanson9/220C/Aphasia.pdf

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:02 pm

I gave the demo a pretty good rinsing yesterday. Honestly, it's fun, sure, no denying that. There's some really cool sounding possibilities in this thing, and if you're a fan of BT, it's kind of fun spotting the different effects and fills from his last couple albums. Also sort of clears up why the last two albums were kind of samey sounding when it comes to the fills, as it's not hard to recognize the plug in after you've heard it a couple times. Also greatly undermines how much work I thought he put into some of those, it's a far cry from the earlier days of having to do it all manually. Still, there's a huge amount of control and customization in this one, it's a deep plug in and IMVHO, probably pretty close to being worth $250 if this is the sort of thign you like.

BUT....

BUT....

I still stand by the fact that this will make every single stutter made with it more or less instantly recognizeable. And since it's so easy to use (heck, the presets alone will keep you busy for weeks) that I think everyone and their mother will be using it shortly. It'll become the Autotune of the 2010's. I bet we start hearing this in every single car commercial :)

I think the main thing that sort of makes this a non-purchase for me is that it's just tooo recognizeable. Reminds me a lot of the BT sample CDs that came out years ago. No denying there were some really cool loops and samples on them, but they were so "BT" that you could spot them a mile off. I think this will be the same thing, you'll use it in a song and people will be like "liking that Stutter Edit plug in huh?".

Just my $0.02.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:11 pm

i think there are many ways to use this plug in. Not only in a live situation in the master channel but also on invidual tracks in a multitrack production. Also everybody uses the same effects like echo,s, chorus and distortions or do a simple modulation off the cutoff frequency off a 24db filter.
Everybody does that but thats no reason not to use these effects.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:36 pm

What's disappointing is that not a single parameter is available to automation. So no instant mappings of parameters or hardware mapping or automation or any of that. You only get to press a key. Otherwise I think it sounds really good.
Professional Shark Jumper.