BT's Stutter Edit is out

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
icedsushi

Re: BT's Stutter Edit is out

Post by icedsushi » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:50 pm

Really? You mean none of the parameters show up in the midi map part of the Live plugin window?

I don't get it why more & more plugins seem to be leaving this out. Maschine is another one that's missing the parameters being available to the host.

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:07 pm

I personally love it! I've been using it for 2 days now (on trial of course, haven't bought it yet.) But I think it's amazing. That being said, it's similar to Effectrix by sugarbytes in that you have to set up a MIDI track and route the MIDI from to your Controller and the MIDI to to the track that contains the Stutter Edit plug. Also, its useless w/o a MIDI controller. I'm using it w/ Launchpad and I must say, in a live scenario, it would be SO MUCH FUN!!!!! I have 72 buttons that trigger whatever Stutter effects I want. Its pretty awesome.

I think I'm gonna buy it. Also if bought before Feb. 14 you'll save $100. So it's on.

I spend hours upon hours programming stutter type effects into my arrangements, so this makes that 10x easier.
But............on that note. I've found that the Stutter edit controls do not appear in Automation enevelopes. The only one that does is, "device on."
Plus when recording, and by recording I mean, pressing global record while playing a live set in the other view, it does NOT record your automation. The only way i've found around this is to set up a re-sample track and record into that.

I've only messed with it for a few hours, so if someone else has found a way to draw or record it's automation, let me know.

My other concern is this: Is Dj'ing and producing becoming way too easy? I mean, I for one have spent years learning and mastering my Dj and Production techniques. NOW, any dip-shit with a couple hundred dollars can call himself a DJ/Producer and release sick ass music.
It kinda pisses me off, but, oh well, I guess turntablist would say the same the same thing about a "controllerist", like me.

OK I'm done.
But let it be known. This plug Fucking rocks my sox!!!

jamief

Post by jamief » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:12 pm

Sunsetter wrote:I personally love it! I've been using it for 2 days now (on trial of course, haven't bought it yet.) But I think it's amazing. That being said, it's similar to Effectrix by sugarbytes in that you have to set up a MIDI track and route the MIDI from to your Controller and the MIDI to to the track that contains the Stutter Edit plug. Also, its useless w/o a MIDI controller. I'm using it w/ Launchpad and I must say, in a live scenario, it would be SO MUCH FUN!!!!! I have 72 buttons that trigger whatever Stutter effects I want. Its pretty awesome.

I think I'm gonna buy it. Also if bought before Feb. 14 you'll save $100. So it's on.

I spend hours upon hours programming stutter type effects into my arrangements, so this makes that 10x easier.
But............on that note. I've found that the Stutter edit controls do not appear in Automation enevelopes. The only one that does is, "device on."
Plus when recording, and by recording I mean, pressing global record while playing a live set in the other view, it does NOT record your automation. The only way i've found around this is to set up a re-sample track and record into that.

I've only messed with it for a few hours, so if someone else has found a way to draw or record it's automation, let me know.

My other concern is this: Is Dj'ing and producing becoming way too easy? I mean, I for one have spent years learning and mastering my Dj and Production techniques. NOW, any dip-shit with a couple hundred dollars can call himself a DJ/Producer and release sick ass music.
It kinda pisses me off, but, oh well, I guess turntablist would say the same the same thing about a "controllerist", like me.

OK I'm done.
But let it be known. This plug Fucking rocks my sox!!!
lots can produce noise and sound but how many dj's really will move you ?

best

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:18 pm

@ jamief---Good point man....

It's just that the art form I've devoted my life to now seems like a trendy new toy.
On a positive note, if there's no heart and soul in music , most people can feel that.

Akshara

Post by Akshara » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:55 pm

It just places the responsibility on those artists who can do something brilliant and exceptional, to do so.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:03 pm

Sunsetter wrote: I've only messed with it for a few hours, so if someone else has found a way to draw or record it's automation, let me know.
Nope the parameters aren't exposed to automation. You can tell by hitting 'configure' and moving any of the parameters. None will show up in the parameter list, showing that none are automatable or controllable through instant mapping or automap or anything using automation controls. Really too bad.
Professional Shark Jumper.

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:08 pm

No automation? then they don,t get my 150 euro.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:16 am

JAMM wrote:No automation? then they don,t get my 150 euro.
Ya I'd like to write them an email and ask what the hell they're thinking. Also the only way to trigger the edits are by midi or key on the little piano in the preset manager. Effectrix is awesome in that you can either trigger pattern changes bu midi, but the the pattern selector is also a parameter that can be automated or learned to a knob. I wish stutter edit did this as well.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:39 am

Khazul wrote:149USD for a beatmasher that can be mostly knocked up in an live rack, (minus the sampler reverser)?

OK, so looks like there is some nice combinations in there, but still - seems like the kind of thing NI might eventually shovel out as a patch for reaktor.
I've messed with a pretty handy M4L beat repeat/reverser .. as far as I can tell it was just a matter of buffer and it works out pretty nicely..

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:45 am

beats me wrote:
Always That Guy wrote:This and everything else you can think of can be done with just Live! You'll never need to buy anything else ever again!
sorry, but thread winner... carry on, don't mind me...
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:53 pm

So show us how you do that.

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:54 pm

Without MFL

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:23 pm

Ya. No automation sucks!!!
But like I said -Just use a Resample track. I know thats not much of a solution but, hey fuck it.

Plus since there's no Automation I see it as a strictly live tool, which is cool in it's own right.

That means you have to actually have spontaneous skills. Not just push random buttons at random times.

Also, I am aware that this can all be done inside Live by itself, but I personally spent hours upon hours setting that shit up! It was very time consuming and very tedious. Building complex racks and putting them on every channel also ate up mad CPU.

Call me a fake or a phony, I dont care. I know that I have the ability to do all this just by programming it myself. Which I will still do while producing.(no automation, remember.) Stutter will simply be a really fun live tool.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:01 pm

It looks fairly cool (might try the demo later), but I'm hardly ecstatic. I'm happy with my Sugar Bytes plugs, but I hope they'll update Artillery so that the effect chain is determined by the order in which you press the keys (I think this is how the Finger works?)

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:26 pm

Sunsetter wrote:Ya. No automation sucks!!!
But like I said -Just use a Resample track. I know thats not much of a solution but, hey fuck it.

Plus since there's no Automation I see it as a strictly live tool, which is cool in it's own right.

That means you have to actually have spontaneous skills. Not just push random buttons at random times.
I personally want the parameters to be automatable for performance, because that's what instant mapping in Live works on, as well as kore mapping and automap. I don't care so much about actual automation but it drives me nuts when things aren't automatable because it means that most control mapping besides basic midi won't work. I don't even think the controls are midi mappable even. How can you call something without hardware control a live tool. More of a studio and mouse tool (besides the midi note control).