Live + 3rd party plugins = FAIL

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
oblique strategies

Re: Live + 3rd party plugins = FAIL

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:10 am

seattletruth wrote:
he quotes a post from over half a year ago stating that they will put it in the manual right away, as if its proof that they are "jumping right on it". Like you said. It's still not there, after many updates.

I mean delays in writing code are justified. I understand that. But delays in writing... writing? No excuse.
I have to agree with this: Not updating information (printed &/or pdf) is highly irresponsible. Maybe it's time to update the manual...
Last edited by oblique strategies on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dude rancher

Post by dude rancher » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:16 am

worked today for about 8 hours with about as many crashes. kontakt 4 and trillian contributed to the crash demon. 2 instances of kontakt. 1 trillian. thats all. crash. boom. blues. why cant this be fixed. makes you want to holla.

Fantismo

Post by Fantismo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:16 pm

I've known this for ages.. and just assumed it was because live was a fledgling product - the only way in live to ensure absolute accuracy is to flatten and use the audio..

It's a shame but I also thought LOGIC wasn't much better.. ? I guess I'm wrong then?

3phase

Post by 3phase » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:24 pm

Khazul wrote:OK - hands up who has actually read the manual?
question is how often do you read the complete manual in your livetime and how is new info integrated on the upgrades..

sofar it looks like that you have to reread the complete manual on any upgrade but with caution because major changes can be hiden in 3 words somewhere in an unrelated chapter..

see scene export for example..or try to find scene export in the manual.. happy hunting
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

dbfs

Post by dbfs » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:40 pm

I thought these quotes might lighten up the mood in here - I think they are fitting to ableton and the audio bandwagon world we live in. :wink:

Queue the haters :arrow:

- Science is always wrong. It never solves a problem without creating ten more. ~George Bernard Shaw

- I think science has enjoyed an extraordinary success because it has such a limited and narrow realm in which to focus its efforts. Namely, the physical universe. ~Ken Jenkins

- The important thing in science is not so much to obtain new facts as to discover new ways of thinking about them. ~William Lawrence Bragg

- Men are probably nearer the central truth in their superstitions than in their science. ~Henry David Thoreau

- Physics is mathematical not because we know so much about the physical world, but because we know so little; it is only its mathematical properties that we can discover. ~Bertrand Russell (I especially love that one) 8)

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:40 pm

3phase wrote:so far it looks like that you have to reread the complete manual on any upgrade but with caution because major changes can be hiden in 3 words somewhere in an unrelated chapter..

see scene export for example..or try to find scene export in the manual.. happy hunting
Ay, there's the rub: Can't really be expected to read/re-read it on every upgrade! Keeping the manual up to date is not the most efficient way to relay information on what's changed.

Looks like the Release Notes provided on each release is the best bet for finding out what's new or fixed. As long as that info is accurate & easy to access then we've got a pretty good resource.

I found the Release Notes for the most recent version of Live & the beta in the Music And Audio Production section of the forum, but what about previous versions? Is there an archive?

I am not finding anything except in the Forum. And when I enter the Search terms: +release+notes I get 508 matches - that's a lot to weed through! Maybe a Release Notes archive on the website that just lists them sequentially? If one exists I haven't found it yet.

wayfinder

Post by wayfinder » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:25 pm

Updating the manual is useful because then whoever searches for information in there gets correct information. The typical use case of the Live manual isn't "being read in one piece."

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:37 pm

Absolutely.

However, I've noticed that the manual for the beta does not search properly: either it doesn't find the words I'm searching for, or it doesn't find all the occurrences. For example I searched for MIDI (just to illustrate my point) & it found TWO instances! :?

ninox_rufa

Post by ninox_rufa » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:26 am

Fantismo wrote:It's a shame but I also thought LOGIC wasn't much better.. ? I guess I'm wrong then?
As I've said before, Logic is tight as. You can put a dozen plugins in front of a 'polling' plugin if you like. You'll get perfect phase cancellation.

Fantismo wrote:- the only way in live to ensure absolute accuracy is to flatten and use the audio..
Won't do any good. Seems people are overlooking an important part of this problem. Freezing, flattening, sending to other tracks or sends. None of it will help you.

THERE IS NO SOLUTION.
MBP 2.3GHz QCore i7 4GB | Ultralite mk3 | 10.7.4 | Logic Pro 9.1.6

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:49 am

ninox_rufa wrote:THERE IS NO SOLUTION.

I'd love a t-shirt with that slogan. Big, bold, black font. Nice. :x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Delie

Post by Delie » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:40 pm

ninox_rufa - thanks for investigating all of this, you've saved me a lot of time even though I feel like I've wasted hours on this myself already. It's really good that this post has got an official Ableton response too (page 9: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1247289)

It's not the response I was looking for to be honest, I'm pretty gutted, but I do thank Ableton for giving this the feedback it deserved, and for also hinting that this issue would be rectified (potentially) in a future version of Live. They see it more as a feature enhancement, than a bug, and I can see their point, but the reason it's disappointing to me is because I just assumed this feature was in Live already. Never mind, for now I can use live for simple musical-brainstorming, but I'll have to do effects/mixing in another DAW.

fx23

Post by fx23 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:43 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:

cheap ones on ebay, but it's the new collection,and only in black.

seattletruth

Post by seattletruth » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:30 am

fx23 wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:

ROFLcopter

fx23

Post by fx23 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:48 am

i m not aware of those abv coming from warcraft on i don't know.

cool. it's a joke. if it hurts there must be some truth some where.

Der_Makrophag

Post by Der_Makrophag » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:56 am

fx23 wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:

I Love those Albeton lines being somehow scrambled and instable :-D
My English is not perfect, I know... Sorry about that.

Greetings from Germany!

P.S. to wishlist forum users: Please search for former requests. Otherwise they will be splitted into many small ones and we are loosing impact!!!