Airport Express Audio Driver

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
cancelctrl

Airport Express Audio Driver

Post by cancelctrl » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:18 pm

Alright so a couple weeks ago my macbook got snowed on and since then the logic board has all but completely died. I can't play videos, or any sort of sound UNLESS it's being transmitted wirelessly to my Airport Express device through airtunes or a program I have called Airfoil.

Airfoil can recieve audio from any application and send it to the airport device, but my problem is that Ableton tells me that I have no audio driver available in order to produce sound. I've downloaded CoreAudio and it seemed to not be able to work either, so my question is what kind of driver can I use on a dead logic board? Is there any at all? I know that if my computer can play music through iTunes just fine then it's not that much of a stretch for it to run Ableton as well. Am I wrong??

cancelctrl

Re: Airport Express Audio Driver

Post by cancelctrl » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:02 am

(bump)

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:17 am

Can you still set it to internal sound (even though no noise comes out)?

Airfoil should have an audio hijack mode where it transmits anything supposedly coming out the master outs. That should work (if you can still "see" the internal soundcard. Unfortunately the AE buffers the sound so you'll get 1-2sec lag though. :(
Live relevant things: Suite 12, MacBook M1 Max, RME UFX II (kext drivers), Push 1

cancelctrl

Post by cancelctrl » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:31 am

^^Ableton says that there is no audio engine at all, and when I go to preferences it shows me no options for my driver type.

ashtonron

Post by ashtonron » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:38 am

Ableton Suite 8, Komplete 6, Macbook + IMac, Nuforce Icon HDP, Art tubefire 8, Korg MicroKontrol + wacKMK, Oxygen 8 +++
http://soundcloud.com/ashtonron

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:57 am

I think the Airfoil install prompts you to install Soundflower if you want that full audio hijack thing.

Not sure if it helps if you can't access any audio output though. :(
Live relevant things: Suite 12, MacBook M1 Max, RME UFX II (kext drivers), Push 1

ashtonron

Post by ashtonron » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:53 am

Piplodocus wrote:I think the Airfoil install prompts you to install Soundflower if you want that full audio hijack thing.

I am able to select soundflower as an audio output
Ableton Suite 8, Komplete 6, Macbook + IMac, Nuforce Icon HDP, Art tubefire 8, Korg MicroKontrol + wacKMK, Oxygen 8 +++

cancelctrl

Post by cancelctrl » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:14 pm

ashtonron wrote:
Piplodocus wrote:I think the Airfoil install prompts you to install Soundflower if you want that full audio hijack thing.

You're not using any other driver than soundflower and airfoil? When I open soundflower's audio setup it shows me no devices found, as well as in ableton. Maybe this is a question for the airfoil people but I don't know how to connect the three programs...

ashtonron

Post by ashtonron » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:47 pm

cancelctrl wrote:
ashtonron wrote:

You're not using any other driver than soundflower and airfoil? When I open soundflower's audio setup it shows me no devices found, as well as in ableton. Maybe this is a question for the airfoil people but I don't know how to connect the three programs...
I select soundflower as audio out in ableton
and in airfoil I select soundflower as source..

obviously I have a working internal sound card so not sure wether this stops the chain from working in your case

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:29 pm

how did your laptop get snowed on?