Annoying as shit

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Wunjo

Annoying as shit

Post by Wunjo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:15 pm

When using Live 8.2.1 I get frequent crashes now and then all of which I do submit to Ableton. However my question here is: Once ableton crashes is there a way to completely stop and close the program so that it does not get hung up for 10 minutes even after it's shut down? I can go into the task manager and see it still running in the processes tab but it gets hung up and won't close when I tell it to. It would be tolerable as I could just open a vst in standalone and mess around while I waited but because ableton is still running in the background it's also got my sound card tied up too and ableton won't fire back up until the other application closes down. Anyone have this same problem and remedies for it? BTW, it does this regardless of what caused the crash.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

skullNbones

Re: Annoying as shit

Post by skullNbones » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:19 pm

on Mac you can force-quit any program(option/command/escape). does pc have similar?
MacbookPro 2.33/ Live7/ APC-40/ BCR2000/ padKontrol/ Oxygen61/ Edirol FA-66/ KRK Rokit 5s with sub/ infinite possibility...

Ableton_David

Post by Ableton_David » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:39 pm

Hi, please get in touch with Ableton technical support about this: http://www.ableton.com/support

ark

Post by ark » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:33 pm

On Windows XP (I don't know about Win7), when a program terminates abnormally, the system will sometimes automatically start a program called dumprep.exe that saves the state of the failing program for future diagnostics. This program can take a while to complete.

If you hit control-alt-delete to bring up the task manager, then select the "Processes" tab, and (a) you don't find Live still running, and (b) you do find a program named dumprep.exe running (it can be easier to find if you click the "Image name" heading to cause the processes to be sorted by name), then killing that process should let you continue more quickly.

rasputin

Re: Annoying as shit - hanging process

Post by rasputin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:26 am

I have this happen as well. Live 8.2 on Win XP SP3. Quitting Live normally often leaves a process running visible in the Task Manager that can't be killed with TASKKILL. Sometimes it eventually disappears by itself after several minutes. 8.2.1 does it as well.
Live 9.1 <> occasionally Reason 4.0.1 <> Reaper.latest! <> Windows 7 on a bespoke Intel Q6600 <> ASUS P5E <> 8GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 2496 and that's it.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:38 am

I get this all the time on Windows. I have to unplug my midi controllers and then it goes away.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:39 am

I get this, too. Have to de-MIDI as well as unplug my interface, flip a switch to start in 48khz, then flip back to 44.1khz and re-plug, and even then still sometimes just have to wait it out or restart.

Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:35 am

Yup my Korg midi drivers do this turn off any of the korgs and live is released also can prevent live from starting !