** How many people actually MIX songs in Ableton ? **

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
junqueira
Posts: 287
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:02 am
Contact:

** How many people actually MIX songs in Ableton ? **

Post by junqueira » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:14 pm

I'm just curious because I can easily have 110 tracks with vocals and all instruments+drums. And by the time I add plug ins, the RAM usage gets pretty high (3.5 - 3.9). To my understanding, live can't use more than 4 GBs of RAM and when I get to 3.5 GBs of RAM being used, I start getting bad cracks, pops and crashes.

jonathan harker
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: ** How many people actually MIX songs in Ableton ? **

Post by jonathan harker » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:04 pm

hi there! i recorded and mixed an album completely in ableton live. my experience is: it is possible! it all depends on what you want to achieve. 110 tracks are a lot!!! my tip is to group these into logical and fitting stems and give yourself some restrictions. you have to fell some decisions which tracks you really want to use. ask yourself: do i really need all this stuff? which tracks are the essence the most important? it really helps me to have only 12-24 tracks for my mix projects. in general i mix it the british way- don´t fix it in the mix! fell a decision and live with it and record the stuff in the way you want to hear them in the mix. there some very interesting interviews in the net with top mixing guy chris lord alge where he tells that he only mixes up to 48 tracks in total because his ssl desk has only 48 channels! his assistants have to prepare the songs before and stem things in groups that fit and while doing this make the tracks "mix ready". they cut them edit them, clean them up, apply fades and eq and dynamics such as compressors/deessers,...
i adapted this for me with a limit of 24 tracks and find it the best way of getting the most power out of my computer and ableton live with all the plugins i have. in the mix process i only automate volumes and fx sends, that saves a lot of time but is also a lot of preparation! good luck and don´t loose your fun! cheers, alex

coldbuggin
Posts: 143
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:44 pm
Location: Brooklyn
Contact:

Re: ** How many people actually MIX songs in Ableton ? **

Post by coldbuggin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:24 am

I track and mix in ableton.

siddhu
Posts: 568
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:39 am
Location: surface of the earth
Contact:

Re: ** How many people actually MIX songs in Ableton ? **

Post by siddhu » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:36 am

mix and master!

junqueira
Posts: 287
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:02 am
Contact:

Re: ** How many people actually MIX songs in Ableton ? **

Post by junqueira » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:25 am

jonathan harker wrote:chris lord alge where he tells that he only mixes up to 48 tracks in total because his ssl desk has only 48 channels! his assistants have to prepare the songs before and stem things in groups that fit and while doing this make the tracks "mix ready".
I like this idea, I'll have to consider this...but how does everyone else deal with the limited RAM. How much RAM usage can you get until ableton pops cracks and crashes?

Khazul
Posts: 3185
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Reading, UK

Re: ** How many people actually MIX songs in Ableton ? **

Post by Khazul » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:47 am

We often do two mixes - there is the mix one of us does on the track when making it, then we do a stems bounce and mix again from the ground up, either in live or cubase, though might start using cubase more for this. Quite often in this second mix it allmost treated like a remix, so might replace some element of ryhthm parts etc, add some bits etc.

I find its easier to mix this way - less messing about, less inclination to go back and mess with things etc (when tends to just be a time pit).
Nothing to see here - move along!

The Leveller
Posts: 452
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:20 pm

Re: ** How many people actually MIX songs in Ableton ? **

Post by The Leveller » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:25 am

Thats a good approach, saves tinkering time as you say. Stem it all out and mix it again elsewhere. gets your head in the right space for mixing rather than 'producing' or recording as such.

fisto
Posts: 354
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:06 pm

Re: ** How many people actually MIX songs in Ableton ? **

Post by fisto » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:27 am

NO NO!

I stopped mixing in Ableton. I do it in Reaper.

The Leveller
Posts: 452
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:20 pm

Re: ** How many people actually MIX songs in Ableton ? **

Post by The Leveller » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:31 am

Reaper is certainly popular at the moment.

I tejnd to like mixing in Live as the APC40 is integrated and makes it a non-mouse orientated flow, but of course you can use a different controller on a different programme.

not sure it makes a huge difference, but its whatever you're comfortable with.

I don't get near 110 tracks though...

swishniak
Posts: 1132
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:25 am
Location: Berlin

Re: ** How many people actually MIX songs in Ableton ? **

Post by swishniak » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:42 am

mixing in ableton makes me crazy. i prefer logic / protools / reaper / more traditional DAWs. just faster (keystrokes) and more options for routing and automation.

but i have done it in a pinch for quick tracks or sfx.

Rave
Posts: 6151
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:26 am

Re: ** How many people actually MIX songs in Ableton ? **

Post by Rave » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:47 am

I think he is referring to the DJing aspect. I could be wrong.

Cezband
Posts: 584
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:43 pm
Location: Oxford
Contact:

Re: ** How many people actually MIX songs in Ableton ? **

Post by Cezband » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:51 am

I mix in Live, but pretty much because it's the only DAW I have easy immediate access to. I'd definitely consider mixing in something like Reaper, mostly because I get the feeling that the change in environment would make me consider the mixing as a different stage in the process compared to the songwriting/recording stage in Live.

On the other hand, I've never found myself mixing in Live and thinking "This is inadequate for my needs." Perhaps if I was on a strict deadline it would be different though...
Rave wrote:I think he is referring to the DJing aspect. I could be wrong.

A DJ set with 110 tracks? I'm not fit enough to dance that long :)
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

swishniak
Posts: 1132
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:25 am
Location: Berlin

Re: ** How many people actually MIX songs in Ableton ? **

Post by swishniak » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:08 pm

Cezband wrote:I mix in Live, but pretty much because it's the only DAW I have easy immediate access to.
download reaper:

http://www.reaper.fm/

its basically free

Rave
Posts: 6151
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:26 am

Re: ** How many people actually MIX songs in Ableton ? **

Post by Rave » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:14 pm

Cezband wrote:I mix in Live, but pretty much because it's the only DAW I have easy immediate access to. I'd definitely consider mixing in something like Reaper, mostly because I get the feeling that the change in environment would make me consider the mixing as a different stage in the process compared to the songwriting/recording stage in Live.

On the other hand, I've never found myself mixing in Live and thinking "This is inadequate for my needs." Perhaps if I was on a strict deadline it would be different though...
Rave wrote:I think he is referring to the DJing aspect. I could be wrong.

A DJ set with 110 tracks? I'm not fit enough to dance that long :)
Call it a record box :)

Pasha
Posts: 3238
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:45 pm
Location: Lost Island
Contact:

Re: ** How many people actually MIX songs in Ableton ? **

Post by Pasha » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:19 pm

Not only mixing but actually Mastering.
You can listen to the 128 Mbps MP3 results by following the links below.
I mix in live with a BCF2000. Love the moto-faders..
Then export @-3db the 24bit stereo WAV and reimport all songs in a new project and adjust.
Then export again the final result.

- Best
- Pasha
Last edited by Pasha on Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apple Desktop / Laptop
Live 9 Suite,Zebra 2.6,Guitar, Bass, VG99, JV1010 and some controllers
______________________________________
Music : http://alonetone.com/pasha

Post Reply