** How many people actually MIX songs in Ableton ? **

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The Leveller

Re: ** How many people actually MIX songs in Ableton ? **

Post by The Leveller » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:28 pm

8O I didn't realise the BCF had motorised faders.

fisto

Post by fisto » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:30 pm

swishniak wrote:
Cezband wrote:I mix in Live, but pretty much because it's the only DAW I have easy immediate access to.
download reaper:

http://www.reaper.fm/

its basically free
Sorry , but it's definetely not free. It's 50 €, so almost free compared to the functionality. Please support the devs if you use Reaper because it's the most amazing DAW with a great forum and very helpful people there.
It's more for the grown up engineers and advanced DAW users.

I hope that not to much Live-kiddies jump to reaper as this would fill the forum with stupid questions etc... :-)

If you're a "i play around with live cause it's so much fun!"-type of guy, please stay with Live.

But if you are really serious about your mixes and want to "build" your own daw then please, check out reaper.
You won't believe how great and efficient it works until you dive in deep!

Just a basic thing about reaper:
The moto is: "build your own daw", which means you can customize nearly every aspect of the program to fit your workflow.
Screen sets, custom actions, , every parameter can be modulated, etc etc, I really can't explain the full Reaper, sorry :-).
But remember that the first play around with reaper will make you go like: "what is this hype about?"
After a week or two you will just be smiling with that certain look in your face when you just know something very cool but others don't, hehe. <--

The Leveller

Post by The Leveller » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:34 pm

:lol:

I never got the chance to get in deep with it to be honest, it crashes on start up with one of those ear splitting screeches accompanying it. :?

But for those that get it working properly, I have heard good things.

Der_Makrophag

Post by Der_Makrophag » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:22 pm

I do everything within Live. Also Mixing. In General I do not separate mixing from producing and other stuff....
My English is not perfect, I know... Sorry about that.

Greetings from Germany!

P.S. to wishlist forum users: Please search for former requests. Otherwise they will be splitted into many small ones and we are loosing impact!!!

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:05 pm

Creation - production - performance

dbfs

Post by dbfs » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:49 pm

Not anymore - Too many audio anomalies, bugs, strange UI decisions, lack of basic everyday audio functions and features. Its just too unreliable in the big picture.. More like a toy, then a serious production tool these days.. The need to keep up with the Joneses killed this program awhile ago. And I think it jumped the shark when they added all this max4live crap. Ableton doesn't know what it wants to be now.. A live app, a DJ app, a software version of 100-in-1 Electronic Kits, A serious production DAW - Its just turned into a hodge podge of shits and giggles. What will they add next, a sharing feature? ...oh wait, they did that too... and then removed it after they advertised it as a "feature" and got your money and you never heard anything else about it. :roll:

It's fun to doodle in and get some out of the box ideas, but there's no possible way to take this program seriously anymore like I tried to in my previous state of mind. I've finally left the agony and heartache behind.. you guys can have it and rejoice it all you want.

fisto

Post by fisto » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:10 pm

dbfs wrote:Not anymore - Too many audio anomalies, bugs, strange UI decisions, lack of basic everyday audio functions and features. Its just too unreliable in the big picture.. More like a toy, then a serious production tool these days.. The need to keep up with the Joneses killed this program awhile ago. And I think it jumped the shark when they added all this max4live crap. Ableton doesn't know what it wants to be now.. A live app, a DJ app, a software version of 100-in-1 Electronic Kits, A serious production DAW - Its just turned into a hodge podge of shits and giggles. What will they add next, a sharing feature? ...oh wait, they did that too... and then removed it after they advertised it as a "feature" and got your money and you never heard anything else about it. :roll:

It's fun to doodle in and get some out of the box ideas, but there's no possible way to take this program seriously anymore like I tried to in my previous state of mind. I've finally left the agony and heartache behind.. you guys can have it and rejoice it all you want.
^exactly. Seems like a toy now, but definetely not a serious DAW.
After my decision to use live as only scetch and writing tool, I feel much better and no headaches or bad gut feelings :-)

junqueira

Post by junqueira » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:32 pm

thanks everyone for the input...and I wasn't talking about DJ mixing, I was talking about production mixing. Would Reaper be a good program to also make beats in? Who has used it for this purpose? Also, since it is a 64 bit program, I would be able to get better RAM usage out of right?

To Reaper users, what is the highest RAM usage you can get on your computer?

junqueira

Post by junqueira » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:33 pm

Pasha wrote:Not only mixing but actually Mastering.
You can listen to the 128 Mbps MP3 results by following the links below.
I mix in live with a BCF2000. Love the moto-faders..
Then export @-3db the 24bit stereo WAV and reimport all songs in a new project and adjust.
Then export again the final result.

- Best
- Pasha
Pasha,

What is the highest amount of RAM that you can use on your computer with Ableton?

fisto

Post by fisto » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:16 pm

Pasha, I never watched at the RAM use as there were never problems with that.
But I use the 32-bit version, although Reaper has a built in Bit-bridge for 32-bit plugs in the 64-bit version.
Of course you can use it for making beats, especially with the item-grouping it's very convenient. You also have screensets, trackselection sets. You can hide tracks with a click.

What I find VEEEERRYYY cool is that you can put parameters of VST-plugins into the trackcontrols and then they are visible in the mixer too, so you don't have to open every plugin to adjust. Just put the most used parameters into TRackcontrols and mix your song Mixer-desk like. VERY VERY cool: you can of course map all controls to a midi controler, but if you map your knobs to the trackcontrols, you can map more param. to one knob, and then the selcted track is controlled by the knobs you mapped (with takeover or not). Of course you can have absolut mappings too.And if you save a track with track controls which were midi mapped as Tracktemplate, the midi mappings are meorized so your midi mappings work in other projects too if you load up a track.template.

Also: you can modulate EVERY parameter. either with an LFO or an envelope from any track you like.

Really, reaper has everything what you need (besides session view). I can't cover everything.
I just sync reaper to ableton and jam away and records into reaper with the REA-Route (reapers build in audio driver).
This driver gives you the option to run Reaper (with your soudncard) and Live would then run under ReaRoute-Asio which enables VSTs in Live. So you can run them both parallel and route audio between the too. Reaper to Live to Reaper or any combination you think of :-)

But if you try reaper, please remember that there is a certain learning curve because you can customize so much stuff. And don't take the default GUI serious, there are smany beautiful salfmade guis for reaper too.

AND: the forum there is full of tips and trick.

Cheers

smaucher

Post by smaucher » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:31 pm

recording (partly) and creating in Live. mixing in Presonus Studio one. sounds better.
you start bleeding - I start sceaming
propaganda 1985

0fps

Post by 0fps » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:41 pm

I also mix in Live but with the help of AUs and dsp plug-ins. Its very efficient for mixing and no problem at all for me.

BUT
In acoustic mixing projects with multitrack editing, dealing with lots of takes etc I prefer a more "common" daw like Digital Performer or Pro Tools HD when possible.
Live 8 Suite, MacPro@2.66 Quad/4G RAM,MacBook@2.00 DualCore/2G RAM, Motu Traveler, TC Powercore, Korg MS200R, Waldorf Blofeld, Akai APC 40, M-Audio Axiom25, Motu Digital Performer

IP

Post by IP » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:20 pm

Everything in Live!

Because like a good teacher used to say ... live is ALIVE!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:14 pm

I mix stuff in Live for myself and my clients (if they don't want me to use Logic so they can see the project file) all the time, never had any issues.

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:29 am

Mix in Live then pre master in Wavelab.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes