Do YOU use a foot controller & WHERE are the cool new ones?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Do you use a foot controller?

Yes, I use a foot controller.
64%
No, I don't use a foot controller.
6%
I WANT to use a MIDI foot controller, but nothing is available for my needs.
30%

Total votes: 33

LoopStationZebra

Do YOU use a foot controller & WHERE are the cool new ones?

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:40 pm

In this thread I bring hellfire down upon the SoftStep MIDI foot controller. While it's an amazing controller in theory - with an enormous amount of features and innovations - the software is appalling and renders the thing useless. But that got me thinking..

Just how many of us out here use foot controllers? I suspect it's a big amount, but who knows?

Every year we are bombarded with an array of new controllers. The flow never ceases. From tactile to touch screen, they are endless. Yet, MIDI foot controllers are few and far between as it is..nevermind the fact that the SoftStep is the ONLY one I've seen that's brought anything new to the table in forever.

Do you use a foot controller?

Where ARE all the cool new ones?
Last edited by LoopStationZebra on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

pepezabala

Re: Do YOU use a foot controller & WHERE are the cool new ones?

Post by pepezabala » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:45 pm

oh yes I hear you. I have only a sustain pegdal that I can plug into my keyboard controllers, but as I usually don't take them with me to gigs I don't use them.

That sucks. I play the guitar and would love to use a cheapo usb-midi-pedal with 4 knobs. But apparently this doesn't exist. Only expensive solutions as far as I can see. Or the clumsy big ones.

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:54 pm

I would like an option that says "I WANT to use a midi foot controller." :(

For a long time it seems like the best option for me is the FCB1010 but it's just too big and too heavy, considering my entire set-up is based around being portable and light. I run all my guitars outside of the software using old fashioned stomp boxes, all I want is something alongside those to skip through scenes and work autofilter/beat repeat etc

Instead I have to use clumsy workarounds for arranging my songs so that I can activate stuff on my launchpad then jump back on the guitar, or else use follow actions/arrange view which just feels like playing along to a backing track.

That Softstep looked like a godsend, but from the amount of anger it's inspired in Loops and some of the other comments around the forum it's clear that it's not up to scratch.

I would guess that quite a fair few people who vote that they don't use a foot controller only choose not to because the options available are so limited and tend to be more trouble than they are worth. :x
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:49 pm

Cezband wrote:I would like an option that says "I WANT to use a midi foot controller." :(

Great idea. Done.

And I'm with you: Love the FCB1010 but I'm all about lightweight and portable now.

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:00 pm

Yes, the FCB1010.

There aren't any new ones since Behringer made a pretty hard wearing one with reasonably good features for about 1/4 the price of the next cheapest competitor.

I don't use my CC pedals, but my guitar rig makes any thoughts of a small compact set-up irrelevant. I have an old Ground Control kicking about somewhere too; same size without the CC pedals, but it's not as flexible as the FCB1010 in what messages it sends (notes/CC 0-127 toggles/etc).

Mine's really for guitar amp/fx switching with my Diezel and TC G-Major, but I also have an odd button set to trigger a scene or 2, so I'm not sure I need a dedicated ableton footswitch mode (other than turning on remote on the MOTU midi in).

Works like this (see sig)...

(There's actually a TC G-major between the Diezel and MOTU with another MIDI through leading back to the MOTU)
Live relevant things: Suite 12, MacBook M1 Max, RME UFX II (kext drivers), Push 1

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:40 pm

Piplodocus wrote:but my guitar rig makes any thoughts of a small compact set-up irrelevant.

Hi Pip, can you elaborate on that? Curious on more details for your setup.

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:54 pm

I use a Line 6, FBV Express MKII. I use the pedal to control CC1 (Modwheel) and I use the stomps as transport controls (play/stop/record/loop). I'd hate to not have a foot control at this point... freeing up my hands to do other tasks is a huge time saver. :wink:

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:10 pm

i have an fcb1010 and i think it's a piece of shit. expression pedals have very short throw, feel cheap, and are not always accurate even right after calibration. combine that with lol stupid editing and you have a piece of shit.

i've read your rant about the soft step, loop station, but i'd recommend you give it a second. cats smoke a lot of weed in berkeley, but always deliver the goods eventually.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:44 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
Piplodocus wrote:but my guitar rig makes any thoughts of a small compact set-up irrelevant.
Hi Pip, can you elaborate on that? Curious on more details for your setup.
My rig consists of Guitar (Parker Fly Mojo) into pedal board case with a RMC3 Wah, and Z-Vex fuzz probe, and VHT Valvulator tube buffer, this goes to a Diezel Herbert and Marshall 4x12.

The Diezel has a Dr Scientist Cosmichorus coming from the Diezel switchable loop, and a TC Electronic G-major for Reverb/Delay in the parallel loop. Both these are in an 8u rack on top of the guitar rig (with a PSU for the Cosmichorus, a power conditioner, Rack Tuner, and a Digitech 2120 for when it all goes wrong!).

All pedals are true bypass so the basic guitar doesn't go through A to D conversion, just tubes baby!

If required (in linear songs) Ableton sends MIDI patch changes out the MOTU to the FCB1010 (set to MIDI merge) which can change amp settings. I still have full manual control of the amp though with my footswitch. These patch changes then go to the Diezel and G-major.

In non-linear songs I can use the FCB1010 to send scene/cip trigger messages through the Diezel + G-major MIDI throughs back into the MOTU MIDI in (set to remote in preferences), and hence use the FCB to control Ableton and Guitar sounds.

That summarises where all my money went, and why I own a van! Shame I don't have time to play with it more! :oops:
Live relevant things: Suite 12, MacBook M1 Max, RME UFX II (kext drivers), Push 1

Lazos

Post by Lazos » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:52 pm

Too bad to hear that there is significant bugginess with the Softstep. It would be my choice, otherwise.

Currently, I'm using the Logidy UMI3. To me this is the ultimate in portability and ruggedness. But it is very limited with only 3 buttons. It has it's own button sequencing software, but it doesn't really help with my uses. Still love this thing. Might get another, since you can use two at once, though only one with the button sequencer.

Also was looking a lot at the Pok controller. Wireless is a real boon.

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:16 pm

Lazos wrote:Too bad to hear that there is significant bugginess with the Softstep. It would be my choice, otherwise.

Currently, I'm using the Logidy UMI3. To me this is the ultimate in portability and ruggedness. But it is very limited with only 3 buttons. It has it's own button sequencing software, but it doesn't really help with my uses. Still love this thing. Might get another, since you can use two at once, though only one with the button sequencer.

Also was looking a lot at the Pok controller. Wireless is a real boon.
UMI3 here also.. yeah, i just wish they came up with a UMI 6 or something.. it's probably the most straight forward footswitch.. i also have a peak FCB4N which is not as straight forward to program, but it's simple enough and portable..

kristoffer1989

Post by kristoffer1989 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:18 pm

roland gfc-50 here. use it mostly for the looper in live at the moment, beatrepeat, turn effects on and off, expression for ringmodulator and so on, while i play gutar also.

before i have also used it for tap tempo, en expressionpedal for synths and stuff. cool board.
Last edited by kristoffer1989 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kristoffer Lislegaard
Myspace - Soundcloud - Vimeo

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:26 pm

i agree that the fcb1010 expression pedals suck but it was 60 bucks used.
my singer has the Yamaha MFC10 and she has had it for a few years now
the MFC10 is a tank and the expression pedal is great plus it has inputs for 4 more (which i use)

The Leveller

Post by The Leveller » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:49 pm

I have an FCB but it gathers dust since I now just use the apc40 with a sustain pedal attached.

The softstep thing: Did you say you can use it as an x/y controller or rotary patterns for knob emulation?

How the fark do you do that on stage? Standing on one foot trying to draw a curve with the other?

Good point above though, the problem is the FCB is so cheap and a good workhorse and running with Hanz Petrov APC emulation on it, it's pretty damn good. Sturdy etc. Exp pedals shit, fair enough but the point is, did they price everyone else out of the market?

If you know you're up against 'the musicians fave' at that kind of price...theres probably bigger/better markets to tackle.

Plus, most live guitarists would still favour the classic amp and pedal route I think rather than digital emulation and so...is there really a market? Even those that do use lappies and software, that I've seen playing for pro bands in interview vids etc. set up patches in advance to a fixed set list so they just need one pedal to PC change to the next patch. Keep it simple I guess. BUT...

LSZ is a looper, I can see obviously there is some need there for a controller that fits the bill...but from a commercial point of view, how many units does it actually equate to shifting?

In the mean time, we all have FCBs and some good music is being made regardless of its failings...a bit like Live itself. :D

Piplodocus

Post by Piplodocus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:58 pm

Most MIDI pedals also don't have a MIDI In with MIDI merge, so with a lot of the (generally more expensive) competition, I couldn't get Ableton to change my guitar sound while I rock out and look cool at the front of the stage! :wink:

For about £100 it doesn't have much competition.

Also means you're less afraid to pull it to bits and give it a paint job...

It says "Hello!" on the audience facing edge; I like to stay friendly with them. :)