A couple of questions about clips...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fixed_up

A couple of questions about clips...

Post by fixed_up » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:31 pm

I have a few questions about clips concerning transport controls and the launch mode.

1. I have an audio clip on track one and a duplicate of this track on track 2 with several copies of the same audio clip but chopped into hits. I want to map a knob on my midi controller to change the transport on all the clips on track 2. So I cmd + click all the tracks on track 2 and hit the midi map button and press the knob. However now when I turn midi map mode off and turn the nob, both the transport on track 1 and 2 is changed, depending on which track is highlighted. I do NOT want the transport control on track 1 to be affected. How do I do this?

2. Is there anyway of setting the minimum/maximum values for the transport control when mapping to a midi controller? I want it so the min/max is -12 to +12 semitones but when in midi map mode there is not option to do this (there is when assigning midi to other functions).

3. I dont think this last one is possible but who knows! When launching a clip mode with 'Gste' as the launch mode, is there anyway that when you release the button you have assigned to gate, the previous clip that was playng will pick up in the right place quantised? I think follow actions may be the way with this one but not sure.

Many thanks in advance!

marconk

Re: A couple of questions about clips...

Post by marconk » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:48 pm

what do you mean by transport control?
volume?

in answer to your second question you can change the minimum to maximum in the key/midi panel. open the panel on the right of the screen by clicking the circle with the dot in it on the lower right section of the interface. i only did it in the key panel because i didn't have a controller to hand.

hope i've helped.

fx23

Post by fx23 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:06 pm

i as well didn't understood what you meant by transport control...

for 3) i think it's possible, but via special setup using a vitual midi driver like midiyoke,loopbe on pc or iac on mac.

if you set your midi controller to send noteon/off while you gate, you can create a midi track with a 'note lenght'
midi device on it. this device has a mode called 'note off' that will generate a new note when you will release.
this note can be used to trig back another quantized clip (by midi assign) and so the transition will only happen on next
quantize. or not sure i fully understood what you meant, but i would use this to trig a dummy quantized clip that will act
on crossfader.

Mister36

Post by Mister36 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:23 pm

I looked at this last night, a bit bleary eyed, and couldn't make sense of it.

But now I think he meant transpose, not transport.

fx23

Post by fx23 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:30 pm

yeah i think you spoted right mr36, as he speaks about a -12/+12 semi tones range :)

but if so i can see why the knob would control the two tracks and evn more strangly depends of highlighting..mmm not my midi hw here to test...

fixed_up

Post by fixed_up » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:48 pm

Yeah sorry guys, I'd had 1 hours sleep the night before so was typing transport when I meant transpose. I knew it didnt look right!

I've tried deleting the midi mapping on track 1's transport but it deletes it from both tracks. Quite annoying.