Audiophile Firewire and PCI problems

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
davidgray

Audiophile Firewire and PCI problems

Post by davidgray » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:33 am

Ok, only AFTER having bought my Audiophile Firewire and experiencing big problems on it do I find these messages on the M-Audio site:

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=sup ... 92c065fbd1

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=sup ... 9030646fdd

I do not own any of the EXACT models listed in the second link, but one which has a model number that is only one digit off, so I think this may be the cause of my problems. Apparently M-Audio is "certifying" PCI firewire cards to go with their audio boxes. I can only get a second or two of audio (if i get any at all!) from anything (winamp, Live, SoundForge) before the audio cuts out and does not return.

I think this may be the reason that some people have major problems with the Audiophile Firewire, while others have none at all---PCI card problems.

Also, in the first link listed above it says that there is an updated list (found by clicking on a link), but there's no link! If anyone knows where this list can be found, I would love to hear about it. Some of the cards on this list are two years old and hard to find from a reputable source. Yes, I could probably take a chance and buy one with a similar model number, but the Audiophile seems too picky to take a chance like that. I have emailed M-Audio twice--no response. Many of the cards they have "certified" are no longer readily available, and I would like to buy one from a store and not the internet this time so I can return it if a new PCI card does not solve the problem.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I tried the workaround in the second link found above, and that didn't do anything, which is not surprising since i'm not having the problem listed therein. but i'm guessing its the pci card, since my processor isn't going berzerk and all my other hardware is functioning properly.

Is anyone using one of the cards found on the "certified" list, and is still having problems with their Audiophile Firewire?

cheers.....

davidgray

Post by davidgray » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:36 am

oh yes.
my machine is specced as follows:
p4 1.6 ghz
256 mb ram
Syba firewire/usb 2.0 combo pci card (almost identical model number to the ones found at this link, don't know it offhand:

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=sup ... 9030646fdd)

this card is probably the source of my trouble, even though my problem is much different than what is described.

stallos

Post by stallos » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:15 pm

Hi David

I am using an adaptec (3 port) firewire PCI card with M-Audio FW Audiophile. My problem is not severe but a problem nevertheless.

Sometimes when I switch on the PC and switch the power on the FW AP it flashes and instead of stopping flashing when the O/S recognises it, it stays flashing. When you open the mixer settings it say s "Device not Found" The only work-around I have is to switch on/off and re-boot.

I like the features of the FW AP which is why I got it but as with my last M-Audio product the install process did not run smoothly. Perhaps this is causing the problem? While my last PCI soundcard was shite, at least it worked everytime.

I have hardly any time these days to work on my tracks, I dont need to be spending any extra time just getting my PC to recognise the hardware.

I dont hot-plug at all. I usually switch off FW AP before shutdown and then switch on once I've booted up. I have left the FW AP switched on at shutdown and even when I do that sometimes its not recognised.

(incidentally what do others here - leave on or switch off?)

The annoying thing is that it doesnt do it every time, but whenever I'm starting a session I cant help worrying whether it will work first time or not.

Be interested to hear what the support guys say.....

anyone else with issues ?

cheers
Stal