KORG microKEY

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
outershpongolia

KORG microKEY

Post by outershpongolia » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:54 am

Cool little unit, the keys are definitely not the same as the microKORG, as people mentioned, but the mod and pitch bend are definitely the same.. I'd say the keys are bigger and higher quality than the microKORG..

Just wanted to mention that the USB hub feature is your typical half-assed implimentation..

So i know it's not going to bus power a launchpad or anything like that, but I figured since the APC40 has to be plugged into the wall that it would get its power their and would work thru the microKEY's built in USB hub... NOPE!

So basically, I figure this USB hub works for lil dinky things like the nano's and such, but even when you've got something that gets its power elsewhere it still comes up with a 'not enough power' notification...

FAIL.

oddstep

Re: KORG microKEY

Post by oddstep » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:41 am

Its a nice keybed for the price point tho'.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:46 am

It's fantastic. I never dreamed of using it as a hub with the APC-40 running into it, so no disappointment here like the OP; but this thing far surpassed my expectations. I was initially excited because I've long wanted a mini-keyboard that actually had a mod-wheel. Got this to replace my lpk25, and there is no comparison -- a whole octave more of keys, and the keys themselves are so much nicer it's ridiculous. Oh, and they're bigger, too. They feel better than the full-size keys on many keyboards, excellent weight, not springy.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Destro

Post by Destro » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:46 am

mholloway wrote:It's fantastic. I never dreamed of using it as a hub with the APC-40 running into it, so no disappointment here like the OP; but this thing far surpassed my expectations. I was initially excited because I've long wanted a mini-keyboard that actually had a mod-wheel. Got this to replace my lpk25, and there is no comparison -- a whole octave more of keys, and the keys themselves are so much nicer it's ridiculous. Oh, and they're bigger, too. They feel better than the full-size keys on many keyboards, excellent weight, not springy.

-M
+1

I'd especially recommend it to untrained keyboardists; the smaller keys are a lot more comfortable to play on than full-sized ones.
Last edited by Destro on Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:07 pm

Im up for a new mini keyboard. The nano keys has broken, and ive sold the rest of my keyboards. How much is it? (im on slow conection at work with iphone. Even google hangs, but pure text forums seems to run fine)

necho

Post by necho » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:24 pm

this sounds almost too good to be true.

apart from the usb hub issues - are there any other catches?
_________
sigs suck.

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:14 pm

I can't get it to report itself as anything other than usb audio device.

necho

Post by necho » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:29 pm

oddstep wrote:I can't get it to report itself as anything other than usb audio device.
oh how I miss PCs ;-)
_________
sigs suck.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:00 pm

Quanta costa? :)

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

$99 everywhere I've seen it, free shipping because the stores didn't have it in stock yet..

I know I was wanting too much to put the APC40 through it, but I figured if it was like any other USB hub - would need the device to be powered from the wall if it couldn't get power thru the bus.. :?

greenscreens

Post by greenscreens » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:52 pm

if it had a midi output it would be amazing. when is someone going to make a usb to midi converter and not the other way around??

Mister36

Post by Mister36 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:24 pm

greenscreens wrote:when is someone going to make a usb to midi converter and not the other way around??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4yUAW0f ... r_embedded

But... I've just been to their site again and it seems they have changed it completely and it also seems they're not even pursuing the USB to generic MIDI module any more but a bloody iPhone/iPad/iPod converter!