Booming Techno Kick

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Naughtius Maximus

Booming Techno Kick

Post by Naughtius Maximus » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:26 pm

I was wondering if someone could help me with achieving a certain type of kick sound. I am looking to create something similar to the specific kick sound found on records by Shed/WAX/EQD, Marcel Dettmann, Traversable Wormhole (i would post up links to clips of tracks but im in work and Youtube is blocked! :? ).

Examples (all can be found on Youtube):
Marcel Dettmann 'Lattice'
Shed 'Boom Room'
EQD 'Equalized #004@

I'm thinking low passed 909 kick > Saturator > Reverb > Resample > more > more low pass > Saturator > Gate with longish release > Compressor with longish release

Theres also some kind Erosion or crackle on the sound as well.

I am not looking to recreate their sound but specifically there kick drum. With there being reverb on a low booming kick i would imagine the EQ being quite tricky to leave room for a bass line.

Anyone who produces this kind of sound that can help?

cabletone

Re: Booming Techno Kick

Post by cabletone » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:10 pm

I think your analysis is probably close. Reverb on the kick, gated filtered, saturated/distorted. Also try doing some of these FX in parallel to retain the punch and transients of the kick.

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:57 pm

Sounds layered to me, and the different layers have different effects.
Don't think you can achieve this with one effect chain alone.

But at the end you need a comp to glue that all together...
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:31 pm

Naughtius Maximus wrote:I was wondering if someone could help me with achieving a certain type of kick sound. I am looking to create something similar to the specific kick sound found on records by Shed/WAX/EQD, Marcel Dettmann, Traversable Wormhole (i would post up links to clips of tracks but im in work and Youtube is blocked! :? ).

Examples (all can be found on Youtube):
Marcel Dettmann 'Lattice'
Shed 'Boom Room'
EQD 'Equalized #004@

I'm thinking low passed 909 kick > Saturator > Reverb > Resample > more > more low pass > Saturator > Gate with longish release > Compressor with longish release

Theres also some kind Erosion or crackle on the sound as well.

I am not looking to recreate their sound but specifically there kick drum. With there being reverb on a low booming kick i would imagine the EQ being quite tricky to leave room for a bass line.

Anyone who produces this kind of sound that can help?
The shed track sounded just like a drum machine kick witha bit of distorted low pass. Try, low pass a 909, distort and filter.

Nothing special about any of those three TBH... Some reverb as well. You could try adding the reverb before the low pass / distortion.

perhaps mult NY compression style...

The
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

ARDJ

Post by ARDJ » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:46 pm

just sounds like a 909 kick w/ some kind of air/room noise on top of it in the first sample.