Maschine 1.6 Beta out now!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
delicioso

Re: Maschine 1.6 Beta out now!

Post by delicioso » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:29 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
delicioso wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:I haven't had much time to play with the update yet, but does anyone know if it's possible to send a multi-out plug-in from one pad to other pads? For example if you loaded a dum machine like microtonic into a pad, can you get the individual drum sounds out to other pads? and get the sequence from a maschine pad into another? Seems like it needs something like the external instrument device.
Routing MIDI from a pad to other pads in Maschine 1.6:
http://modulations.noisepages.com/2011/ ... -maschine/

Built-in MIDI routing and more is coming but not in this update as NI is making major structural changes for that.
That's cool, but now that I think about it, routing audio from one pad to other pads is more important. For example if you've got microtonic with 8 drum sounds and you want to route them out to other pads for separate effects. I guess thats not possible yet like in Kore?
You can route audio between pads. There's two aux outs per sound.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:32 pm

fx23 wrote:bump
do you know if automations are latency compensated?.
can you ie chain 3 hi latency vsts (ie linear phase eq) and rec 8 automs for them, keeping strong sync of all.
is midi clock for vst that have synced fx tight even after long latency vst chain.
please any adv maschine user answer me on that one, really need to know befor eventual buy. thx
Good question - Might be worth asking that in the NI Maschine forums (http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... .php?f=222).
Nothing to see here - move along!

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:40 pm

LSZ, it's great for live looping of drum and samples, but not intended for live audio looping so much. At it's heart it's really a drum machine, sample slicer. As cool as plug-in support is, I feel that they got ahead of themselves a bit with this one and should have done other things first. I think timestretched loops should have been added first and also the slicing could use some work. A playhead marker is still needed even for loops. things like that i wish they did first, that focused more on the sampling. I'd even rather have seen a simple built-in drum synth source before plu-in support. The main reason it outshines ableton in some areas is because of the live automation recording into loops, but no its not a multi-track recorder/DAW in any way. It definitely could be used standalone for looping midi sources, but with no multi-core support i'd never use it in place of ableton for that kind of thing.
Professional Shark Jumper.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:42 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Here's one thread I found on the subject. Not too promising. :|

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... p?t=104981
The way Maschine works as a live looper in that method is the newly recorded loop kicks in at the start of the next bar, as opposed to playing immediately when it's done recording. But there are plugins to do it the other way and Maschine wasn't designed for that kind of live looping anyway.
LoopStationZebra wrote:It's a shame that, so far, you can't really do much with it if you aren't a DJ and truly doing live performance that isn't pre-planned. Am I wrong with this thing?
I would say so. It's definitely not something that's just for djs or live performances. Don't know how you got that impression. It has a session view like Live but you can actually record realtime automation into clips, can loop scenes, has a dedicated hardware control for pretty much everything so you don't have to use a mouse, and has a tactile step sequencer with visual feedback...etc. It'd definitely a viable alternative as a production tool compared to Live.

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:43 pm

necho wrote:I'm so pissed off I sold maschine.

Biggest fail of my life so far.
Cheer up, sounds like you've had a great life if that's as 'fail' as it gets. The worst is yet to come.

STRATEGY

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:44 pm

delicioso wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:
delicioso wrote: Routing MIDI from a pad to other pads in Maschine 1.6:
http://modulations.noisepages.com/2011/ ... -maschine/

Built-in MIDI routing and more is coming but not in this update as NI is making major structural changes for that.
That's cool, but now that I think about it, routing audio from one pad to other pads is more important. For example if you've got microtonic with 8 drum sounds and you want to route them out to other pads for separate effects. I guess thats not possible yet like in Kore?
You can route audio between pads. There's two aux outs per sound.
I'm talking multi-out here. Like a plug-in that can send out 8 channels of audio. I dont know of a way to send separate outs from a pad to other pads. Aux outs are for send effects. They send the whole audio channel not separate outputs of a plug-in.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:58 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
delicioso wrote:You can route audio between pads. There's two aux outs per sound.
I'm talking multi-out here. Like a plug-in that can send out 8 channels of audio. I dont know of a way to send separate outs from a pad to other pads. Aux outs are for send effects. They send the whole audio channel not separate outputs of a plug-in.
Don't know about multi-out audio from each pad. I guess you'd have to use 8 instances of microtonic to do that. Sounds like a good feature request if someone hasn't done it already.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:41 pm

delicioso wrote:and Maschine wasn't designed for that kind of live looping anyway.
That's what I thought. Just making sure.

I think we've gotten our signals crossed on other bits, though:

It seems like a great production tool, and perfect for DJs who are preRecording all their samples and such, and can then start manipulating those in a live environment. I get that part.

It would be interesting if NI ever got into the serious live looping business with a piece of hardware like Maschine.

Imagine all the great benefits of Maschine, but with full audio I/O capability as part of the hardware. The ability to do sample loop launching like Live. We've all seen hardware loopers like those produced by Boss. Cool stuff, but incredibly limited in sample manipulation. That's where Maschine 2.0 would come in... All those plugs as part of the hardware. Oh my. :P
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:19 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
It seems like a great production tool, and perfect for DJs who are preRecording all their samples and such, and can then start manipulating those in a live environment. I get that part.
I don't understand why you keep saying it's good for DJ's. I don't DJ, I use it for creating beats. How would this even be any use to a DJ? You can't load full songs or timestretch and fit to tempo and things like that as you can in Ableton. I don't see how this would be of any use for DJing unless you wanted to inject some of your own production and beats. It's used more the way an aki mpc has always been used, that's why hip hop producers are especially into it.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:56 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:I don't see how this would be of any use for DJing unless you wanted to inject some of your own production and beats.

What are you talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/user/NativeInstr ... KgodM3Gf1g

WHAT THE FUCK ARE THESE GUYS DOING ON THAT STAGE IF THEY ARE NOT DJing?

Injecting their own crap is exactly what they are doing. What a ton of people are doing onstage with Maschine. !

I'm serious, man. Because, clearly, if THAT's not DJing then I need a primer course on exactly what is... Which may well be the case. Shit...they only say the word DJ like 50 fucking times in that clip. :x :lol:

Is the Maschine usage in that video the exception, rather than the rule?

:? :|

Mister36

Post by Mister36 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:05 pm

Yes, Booka Shade use it to produce their tracks and then, as they have produced their tracks with it, they use it when playing out too. But I'd say it's not the rule and that the production side is more the rule. Although I'm sure some people do use it to DJ with, I wouldn't have thought it was predominantly a DJ product at all. Just my opinion on it.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:11 pm

Okay, cool. Because for a minute there I was losing my mind. :lol:

And I totally get that it's production focused...

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:12 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:LSZ, it's great for live looping of drum and samples, but not intended for live audio looping so much. At it's heart it's really a drum machine, sample slicer. As cool as plug-in support is, I feel that they got ahead of themselves a bit with this one and should have done other things first. I think timestretched loops should have been added first and also the slicing could use some work. A playhead marker is still needed even for loops. things like that i wish they did first, that focused more on the sampling. I'd even rather have seen a simple built-in drum synth source before plu-in support. The main reason it outshines ableton in some areas is because of the live automation recording into loops, but no its not a multi-track recorder/DAW in any way. It definitely could be used standalone for looping midi sources, but with no multi-core support i'd never use it in place of ableton for that kind of thing.

Ahh, I missed this post, glitch. Cool. Tnx

Every sound and beat that I make in a live show, I do so from scratch. I'm just trying to sort out if there's a place for Maschine in what I do...

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:21 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:I don't see how this would be of any use for DJing unless you wanted to inject some of your own production and beats.

What are you talking about?

http://www.youtube.com/user/NativeInstr ... KgodM3Gf1g

WHAT THE FUCK ARE THESE GUYS DOING ON THAT STAGE IF THEY ARE NOT DJing?

Injecting their own crap is exactly what they are doing. What a ton of people are doing onstage with Maschine. !

I'm serious, man. Because, clearly, if THAT's not DJing then I need a primer course on exactly what is... Which may well be the case. Shit...they only say the word DJ like 50 fucking times in that clip. :x :lol:

Is the Maschine usage in that video the exception, rather than the rule?

:? :|
:lol:

What they are doing in that video is mixing their own production and live PA with DJing. The DJing aspect of what they do is taken care of with Traktor, which is a DJ tool. They are primarily a live PA act playing their own music though and Maschine is used for that part. So sure some DJ's might use MAschine if they also play their own music, but that's sort of like if a dj also played a keyboard over his sets. The keyboard isn't a DJ tool, it's just another instrument he's using at the same time. Maschine is not something you'd actually use to DJ (disc-jockey) because you wouldn't load full tracks on it and mix them like you would on turntables, or digitally in Traktor, Final scratch or ableton. But not surprising to see some people mixing tracks with custom beats like people used to do with a TR-909 and turntables.

:)

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:29 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote: :lol:

What they are doing in that video is mixing their own production and live PA with DJing. The DJing aspect of what they do is taken care of with Traktor, which is a DJ tool. They are primarily a live PA act playing their own music though and Maschine is used for that part. So sure some DJ's might use MAschine if they also play their own music, but that's sort of like if a dj also played a keyboard over his sets. The keyboard isn't a DJ tool, it's just another instrument he's using at the same time. Maschine is not something you'd actually use to DJ (disc-jockey) because you wouldn't load full tracks on it and mix them like you would on turntables, or digitally in Traktor, Final scratch or ableton. But not surprising to see some people mixing tracks with custom beats like people used to do with a TR-909 and turntables.

:)

lol, Cool man. I totally get what you are saying here. And sorry for any confusion I may have caused... :wink: