operator arrives

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:00 pm

$149 USD... yikes.

at least its optional. i mean what if they all the sudden released 5.0 with operator included for a $149 USD upgrade. Alot of us would be pissed, saying we'd rather have the overall program improvements of 5.0 without the synth, ya know.

so i guess on the bright side of things... we dont have to buy it. and thats good.

NOW, there are a ton of other things i think folks would pay $149 for BESIDES an FM/subtractive synth. Would several ableton djs pay $149 for mp3 support? yup. Would mac users pay $149 for altivec? yup (after some bitching, but they would). I'd even venture to guess alot of folks coming from the cubase/logic end of the spectrum would pay some coing for truley unique midi compositional tools.

at least all the above people would buy those things BEFORE they bought Operator.

and FM7 EDU price is just $20 more than Operator.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:10 pm

Well I would like to play with it before I judge it.

I would like to see a badass simpler or impulse though.

I mostly wanted midi fixes and an arp, hopefully plugs can pass midi data in 4.1 8O
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

derkface

Post by derkface » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:17 pm

I'm pretty over it. I just got Kubik, which is amazing. Already have impOSCar and some good free stuff. Plus++ Pluggo for windows came out today, that's $200. No Operator for me.

Liam

Operator price

Post by Liam » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:18 pm

Snatch defeat from the jaws of victory?

forge

Post by forge » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:18 pm

Have to say, I am thinking some kind of 'loyalty' discount wouldnt go amiss - judging by the amount of disappointment round here it'll be interesting to see how the sales go. Maybe now after absynth3 and reason 3 and so soon after Live 4 would have been a good time to do a propellerheads style 2.5 type thing! As is we're now in the psoition of choosing - alot of people cant afford to buy everything, and I cant afford ANYTHING! I just cant do it and it's bloody annoying because a Live native synth will be wicked.

ekko

Post by ekko » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:21 pm

forge wrote: As is we're now in the psoition of choosing - alot of people cant afford to buy everything,

Exactly. I have a small software budget and my immediate choices are Reason 3.0 or this. Hmm, tough choice. :roll:

Now, I'm not saying that Ableton should give this way, far from it. Just expressing why I, for one, won't be buying it. Sounds like a number of the "regulars" here, who I would think would make up the bulk of early buyers, aren't too interested either. Time will tell, though.

Hell, we don't even have a bloody screenshot of the thing, and we're writing it off as too expensive.

Price matters!

drez

Post by drez » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:22 pm

Yeah, as cool as it sounds, that is just tooooo much cash. I'm far more interested in the Reason 3 update and it doesn't include a synth! Combinator will do what I need. Too bad. I'd love it, but that is a dent to the wallet. More like a T-Bone into the side of my wallet!
http://www.soundcloud.com/dreznicek
MacBook M1 Pro Max, 64Gig RAM, 4TB internal SSD, Live 11, Push1/2/3, Reason, VST O'Plenty

Liam

Operator

Post by Liam » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:24 pm

I just bough AUDITION for $49 from BUYSUSA

This is Adobe software - formerly was Cool Edit Pro

A sensational piece of software for $49

Comes with about 5000 downloadable loops too.

Makes Operator seem definitely overpriced.

dave dominey

Post by dave dominey » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:34 pm

randyh wrote:
dave dominey wrote:maybe i wont be so peeved if they say that a midi arpeggiator and pdc and all the other little "wants" are included in 4.1

..... maybe
http://www.sonicbytes.com/products.htm

Since you wanted an arp, this might be of interest. ERA is REALLY good, and only $50. It recently got a full blown arp mode. The flexiblity of it is amazing.

PDC: yeah, that would be nice.
if they put midi out of vsti/fx in the new update i can use the arp in eXT
that will put a smile on my face :P

drush

Re: Operator

Post by drush » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:36 pm

Liam wrote:I just bough AUDITION for $49 from BUYSUSA

This is Adobe software - formerly was Cool Edit Pro

A sensational piece of software for $49

Comes with about 5000 downloadable loops too.

Makes Operator seem definitely overpriced.
wait, the full version of audition for $49? isn't it normally more like $300?

...good lord, you're right. there it is. $49. no box, no technical support registration. still seems very hard to believe.

Liam

Operator overpriced

Post by Liam » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:39 pm

This may prove to be a terrific softsynth but as a loyal user of LIVE I would expect a hefty price discount - like $50 to buy it now. Perhaps a limited time offer for existing users.

drush

Post by drush » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:43 pm

Liam

Stunning software deals

Post by Liam » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:44 pm

Sorry I forgot to mention that Audition from buysusa,com does not come with Tech Support. Not a big deal for me.

I also bought Adobe Creative Suite PREMIUM for $199 - That includes Photoshop CS, Illustrator, Acobat Pro and more. Also no Tech Support

BUT full access to Forums, Knowledge Base etc etc And all rights to updates, downloads etc etc

A good deal I think.

Check it out dudes, and then ask yourself is Operator going to be worth $149?

experimedia

Post by experimedia » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:47 pm

Hmm. I am going to wait to form an opinion until I hear more and try it out. At this point I am more curious to find out what upgrades will be included in v4.1.

Is there a website somewhere that is posting an current news from the NAMM show...maybe an RSS feed or something?...oh wait there it is...on kvr-vst.com . Nevermind.

Liam

Operator UPDATE

Post by Liam » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:47 pm

From the M-Audio Press release at NAMM

Operator Pricing and Availability. To purchase or try Operator, simply download the 4.1 update of Live from the Ableton website www.ableton.com. An activation code for Operator can be purchased online for 129 Euro 149 USD.

Surely this means Operator will be included free in an update?