operator arrives

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mosca

Post by mosca » Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:33 am

technically - mess around in the demo, record your midi in with operator, record to audio track - open audio editor, save wav

sorted

not buying it tho

mosca

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:37 am

mosca wrote:technically - mess around in the demo, record your midi in with operator, record to audio track - open audio editor, save wav

sorted

not buying it tho

mosca
Yep I discovered this yesterday .

If I was brutally honest I must admit I like it quite a bit.

It's got some nifty tricks uo it's sleeve too boot thanks to the envelopes inparticular and automation via clip envelope.
It also chucks out a friggin mean sub bass and some great atmospherics with the Ableton effects.............

I just don't think it's $149 US nice whic as I stated after money transfer and fees (it's the only way I can pay ..... it's $240 AU) which $15 short of a weeks income for me. :(

And when I compare it to Kubik which was $54 US..... sorry it just seems like less of a barge marge :cry:

I do wan't to like The Operator but it's a cripple ware demo - 1 instance available in any Live set .... no HiQ mode with 2 note poly and no patch saving would have been better.
The demo would have enticed more buyers IMHO.
- ie: like SHort Circuit for example !

As it stands you can render the audio already

And how long before some 'sanitary wipe' has the crack + full working version of 4.1 + Operator for zilch :evil: :( :( :( .
Last edited by FaX-01 on Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

tribalogical

Post by tribalogical » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:12 am

I'll venture an opinion.....

I do agree the synth itself is a bit overpriced (I think $99 would be more in line)... but there's a caveat or five to that agreement... :)

First, considered entirely *alone* it may actually feel worth $149..... even compared to other 'like' synths. It looks simple on the surface, but I'm finding it's got some surprising depth to it.

Also considered in context, as an integrated Live plugin, for me the value actually increases a bit more....

This integration is similar to the Logic plugin model, which isn't all bad... some are now saying, "yeah, and those Logic plugs are free with the app!!" but...... those weren't "free" until very recently -- I had already paid plenty of extra $$ for over half of them when that change happened. And, Logic now costs US$999 (!!!) for those "free" plugs to be included............ a great value, to be sure, but certainly not "free"!!

The other context is comparative.... what can you get for similar $$? Yes, there are other plugins, some with a lot more features & flexibility..... but along with that also comes more complexity. There is added value in Operator's design simplicity, and that's a fact........

Still, in its "overall compared value", I think it's a bit on the high side price-wise (I own a LOT of plugs, so I can speak from some experience here)...

I am hesitating at the current price... I wouldn't have hesitated at all @ $99... a small but significant difference, huh?

Some here are also saying, "I can't use Operator with other VST or AU hosts"....... well, that may be true in some cases, I don't know... but for MOST of my own real-world cases, I have one word:

Rewire.

All the VST/AU hosts I use (on Mac, anyway) *also* support rewire, and I regularly rewire Reason into Live, and/or Live into Cubase or Logic, etc.... so one CAN use Operator in those environments just fine, thank you........

So far, the "it should be cheaper" arguments I've read here fall a little flat for me......

And yet, I still agree it should be... but that's based entirely on my own "comparative" & "contextual" measure, not by judging the synth entirely on its own......

All that said, the more I play with it, the less hesitation I feel!! I just wish it was about $50 less. That sits about right for me. So, I'm still on the fence. In the end, need + convenience will decide it, not the cost.....

And to the Abletons I'd like to say: regardless of the opinions or feedback (some quite passionate, some even rude) expressed on these forums, PLEASE don't be discouraged! The level of passion expressed is directly because of the equal respect and high-esteem people hold for you.

Yes, more 'enhancements' to Live itself are much needed (I do agree!), but I also like that you're continuing to expand on the "platform".... keep up the great work!

peace,
tribalogical

mthomashow

Post by mthomashow » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:58 am

I think Operator is a fine synthesizer. I use Logic Pro, Tassman, reaktor, and hard synths such as the Yamaha S90, Karma, and Planet Earth so I have plenty to compare it to. It's clear, clear, clear. The pads are lush, and the interface is brilliant, as usual. Also, as noted above, it is seamlessly integrated into Live.

The basic problem with it is that it is definitely slightly overpriced. I agree with Tribaological that somehow $79-99 would make it a must buy...at $149 I'll just have to wait and see.

Over time I think people will come to realize how convenient and great sounding this synth is.