Quietman - A tribute and fundraiser album for Leedsquietman

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Quietman - A tribute and fundraiser album for Leedsquietman

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:14 pm

As most of you know, one of our valued members here on the Ableton forums passed away unexpectedly in December, leaving behind his wife and three kids. Further adding to the tragedy, his mother passed away while preparing to attend his funeral. To raise money and help out his family, a number of us from the different forums Martin participated in have gotten together to release a tribute album, the proceeds of which will be going directly to his wife Judy.

If you feel like contributing, the album (15 songs) can be purchased for $10 from Bandcamp:

http://quietman.bandcamp.com/

If you want to help but just can't afford to give money right now, please help us spread the word by joining and passing on the related Soundcloud and Facebook pages:

http://soundcloud.com/quietman2011/sets/quietman

http://www.facebook.com/Quietman2011

Thanks everyone for your support and help, hopefully we can raise enough money at least help Martin's family in some small way.

-----------------------

Edit: Some people have asked about purchasing some of Martin's own music as well, you can find that here:

http://liquidmetamorphosis.bandcamp.com/

http://www.jamendo.com/en/artist/umbriel.rising
Last edited by Tarekith on Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bizon

Re: Quietman - A tribute and fundraiser album for Leedsquietman

Post by Bizon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:33 pm

The album is not necessarily my style but I don't mind donating to the cause. Rather than have the site take a cut of my donation, can I send the money directly?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:58 pm

Thanks for the sticky Abes! :D
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Rave

Post by Rave » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:15 pm

Bizon wrote:The album is not necessarily my style but I don't mind donating to the cause. Rather than have the site take a cut of my donation, can I send the money directly?
Via bandcamp all the money gets through

toph

Post by toph » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:38 pm

Rave wrote:Via bandcamp all the money gets through
Hi Rave, they changed that sometime last year: http://bandcamp.com/pricing

Anyway, a good and nice move and I hope many people will buy it!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:31 pm

i think the point is the cause... not the few pennies that the company who makes it available to the entire world takes off the top.

if we held out a cup that said "money for leedsquietman" or started a website where credit card info could be entered to donate with nothing in return would that be more successful than a music compilation download?

the money is for a good cause, but at the end of the day we're all musicians on some level or another, which is how we know leedsquietman. so this is the means that was chosen by 16 artists as a way to help - however imperfect that may be.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

toph

Post by toph » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:25 am

H20nly wrote:i think the point is the cause... not the few pennies that the company who makes it available to the entire world takes off the top.
I totally agree - so please don't get my response to Rave wrong!

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:50 am

Thanks for all your good work Tarekith in relation to Leeds passing.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:06 am

Wasnt just me, there were a lot of people who really stepped up to make this happen.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:16 am

toph wrote:
H20nly wrote:i think the point is the cause... not the few pennies that the company who makes it available to the entire world takes off the top.
I totally agree - so please don't get my response to Rave wrong!
no not all.

i just don't want [any of] us to loose focus.

stay 8)

Lee Sullivan

Post by Lee Sullivan » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:45 am

Really enjoying the music. Well done to all of you for making this happen. What a tremendous tribute.

Best regards.
Ableton Certified Trainer
Apple Certified Trainer
MBP 2.8 4GB Mac OSX 10.6 Live 8.1.5 M4L APC40

synnack

Post by synnack » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:48 pm

I just bought it today. Haven't listened yet but I will soon. If anything just happy to support any effort that helps someone like this.

I always wanted to do this sort of thing to benefit Katrina victims.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:06 am

just to add my 2c - as one of the contributors (forge on the album) I feel chuffed to have been part of this.

But I want to point out that Leeds also had his own album which Tarekith also linked in the first post.

But I only just discovered he had more music under the name "Umbriel rising" available on several albums and EPs for download at Jamendo with just a donate link if you want to, but you can download for free if you have already bought one of the others.

http://www.jamendo.com/en/artist/umbriel.rising

most of it is on his soundcloud as well:
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising

I'm just speaking for myself, but personally I'd be just as happy if this project only served the purpose of advertising his own work, because that's his legacy. I mean, of course I'm sure Leeds would be absolutely chuffed at the effort that's gone into this and I by no means want to detract from that, we did this out of total sincerity and I think the results speak for themselves.

I just wanted to be the advocate for buying his music as well, or even instead of. Either way it makes no difference to the money side of things which one you buy, as it will all go to his family, I just really like the idea of his music selling posthumously. It seems like a nice thought to me, and bigger than what we did because it is his legacy.

I guess you can all understand where I'm coming from because I think as musicians we'd all like to think we were able to leave something behind in our music, so I really don't want to overshadow his efforts with ours. I'd rather we serve the role of enhancing and adding to it.

The best solution: buy both! ;-)

Rave

Post by Rave » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:25 am

I bought both it's the way to go :)

synnack

Post by synnack » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:07 pm

Respect. http://www.synnack.com/blog/post/34/music-and-charity

Thank you Tarekith. I've been through this before in my own life. No matter how much money is ultimately raised it doesn't minimize the potential to help Judy understand we appreciates a fallen soldier and he will be missed.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud