please help me figure out why i cant map my midi controller

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
bedroomDJ

please help me figure out why i cant map my midi controller

Post by bedroomDJ » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:12 pm

it recognizes my oxygen 8 because it lets me play notes when i use operator. however im trying to map the keys to launch clips and in midi map map when i klick the clip i want then hit the key it dosnt recognize anything. My new laptop came with windows 64bit... i think i may need to update drivers? any ideas?

myxomat0515

Re: please help me figure out why i cant map my midi controller

Post by myxomat0515 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:51 pm

go to preferences, midi, find your oxygen8 under the input list, and make sure that 'track' AND 'remote' are both turned on

bedroomDJ

Post by bedroomDJ » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:56 pm

they are both on... no luck.

ShelLuser

Post by ShelLuser » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:21 pm

What kind of keys did you try to map exactly?

It looks like it may not recognize some of the stuff which your keyboard sends out.

When you move controls or press keys; which lights in Live light up exactly? I refer to the midi indicators in the upper right side of the screen. There are 2 pairs; one on the total right (next to the 'D' icon) and one on the left (between 'key' and 'midi').

My guess is total right, which can be an indication in itself.

Alas; have you tried mapping one of the instrument keys yet (the ones you play notes with) ? This may sound a bit silly, but it can help to pinpoint the problem.

Edit: also important to know; did you also set this critter up as a control surface ?

And to add to the previous post: track/remote is of course important, but you are aware that this can be set for both midi in and midi out (input/output) ?

Obviously you need 'remote' to be turned on for input, output doesn't really matter too much.
With kind regards,

Peter

Using the 'Power' Trio: Live 10 Suite (+ Push & Max 8 ), Reason 10 and Maschine Mk3 (+ the ultimate Komplete 12).
Blog: SynthFan (under heavy construction!)