Holy...Focusrite VRM Box

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Holy...Focusrite VRM Box

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:51 pm

http://www.macworld.com/article/157459/2011/01/vrm.html

"ultra-portable Virtual Reference Monitoring device that lets you mix your music in different environments, through different speakers, and from different positions, all via your headphones."

8O

LoopStationZebra

Re: Holy...Focusrite VRM Box

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:57 pm

gimmick

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:03 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:gimmick

But could this possibly be a usable option for people who have to mostly work through headphones because a cardboard box has more soundproofing than the apartment they live in?

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:54 pm

Sebastien Leger is producing his music on simple PC speakers for $10...
No Joke...!!!

He said, that he is used to them and how they sound.

So much to the needs for big studio equipment or simulators of big budget environment.
If you know what you do, you can do it on PC speakers... :mrgreen:
And he uses Ableton too...

To be honest: I can't !
I am not such a talent...
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:05 pm

seems like a good device to me. i've got an un-used spdif out from my multiface so it would still allow me to use the multiface as my main interface and just check mixes and such on the VRM box with a 2nd pair of headphones or connect the output to my monitor station to A/B everything i do. does it have a bypass setting in the VRM software?

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:20 pm

beats me wrote:

But could this possibly be a usable option for people who have to mostly work through headphones because a cardboard box has more soundproofing than the apartment they live in?

I WANT TO BELIEVE

Look, beatsie. You're talking to someone that does ALL of his stuff with headphones. So I'm the perfect *gullible* customer! :P

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:48 pm

simpli.cissimus wrote:Sebastien Leger is producing his music on simple PC speakers for $10...
No Joke...!!!

He said, that he is used to them and how they sound.

So much to the needs for big studio equipment or simulators of big budget environment.
If you know what you do, you can do it on PC speakers... :mrgreen:
And he uses Ableton too...

To be honest: I can't !
I am not such a talent...
sure... ..dont belife the hype.. he is maybe prodicing his music to deliver it in stems to a mastering engineer and with some experiance that will give better results than a bad mix in a medicre studio
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:12 am

yes.. probably.. but when you are really on the road and dependend on laptop speakers and headphones its maybe a usefull tool.
its small enough to be worth a testdrive...

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:29 am

3phase wrote:
its small enough to be worth a testdrive...

this.

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:29 am

i don't see Focusrite as a company that relies on gimmicks to make money. they've always had excellent channel strips, pre amps, and interfaces.. and they liquid mix was pretty highly acclaimed for it's hardware modeling. i think they know what they're doing. i may give this thing a try when it becomes available.

Geebag

Post by Geebag » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:28 am

Interesting. I wonder how it works? Does it send an amount of the R output to the L even when they panned the other way and so on and mix the depth of the sounds on the fly? Thats the only way that both ears could hear both the L and R at the same time.

If that does work and creates a perfect virtual stereo field then that technology should be incorported into every device with headphones in the world.

I hope its not just some wanky surround sound emulation.

glenn303

Post by glenn303 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:52 pm

I bought the Focusrite Saffire Pro DSP 24 and it has the VRM monitoring. I must say it does sound pretty good, not perfect.
And like 3Phase said it is a useful tool if you are on the road.
Depending on the price i just might pick this up and leave the Pro 24 in the studio.
I am also anxious to see if Focusrite is going to add more speaker emulations to it in the near future.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:16 pm

I've owned Focusrite products in the past and they've always been top notch. That's not really the point. My gimmick comment was somewhat tongue in cheek, but....

Hasn't this kind of sound environment emulation been a Holy Grail for enthusiasts for quite some time? With mixed results at best?

I'd be interested in getting Tarekith's take on this...

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:30 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:I've owned Focusrite products in the past and they've always been top notch. That's not really the point. My gimmick comment was somewhat tongue in cheek, but....

Hasn't this kind of sound environment emulation been a Holy Grail for enthusiasts for quite some time? With mixed results at best?

I'd be interested in getting Tarekith's take on this...

why? because he has read the bob katz book and became a jedi knight that way?

its pretty obvious that peple that sell monitor speaker simulations or studio mike simulations are in the snake oil biz.. i really wouldnt exoect such products to be based on dynamic convolution.. so its just like a filter before your headphones.. what can be usefull in a way as you have fixed filter presets and can compare how a mix is reacting on them.. after the theorem that a good mix sounds good on any system you might gathersome information about your mix by using such a device.. or .. one of the presets works well with you headphones and pleases the ear..

But there is no way that theese little box will bend the laws of physics.. there wont be a real low end.. and there wont be real room resonances or dynamic distrotion or better dedistortion of the signal..

Its a gimmick.. maybe a good one? but doint expect too much

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:49 pm

i'd be willing to put my money on this little box, which is probably nothing more than a d/a converter, seems how the processing of the sound is done, according to Focusrite, using the power of the CPU of your computer. in short, it's algorithms it seems. and if a convolution reverb can replicate the sound of certain rooms, why can't this? probably not much unlike Audio Ease's Speakerphone. it's just altering the sound to how we would hear it if it were coming from these other speakers in different rooms. why is it so hard to believe that this can be done?

and what the hell does this have to do with the laws of physics? why wouldn't there be "real low end"? and why couldn't there be "real room resonances or dynamic distortion"?

and as far as de-distortion... you can't just make up words to sound intelligent!

why don't you buy the thing and then report back here on how big of a pile of gimmicky bullshit you think it is after using it???