The CEO of AKAI after Maschine 1.6 beta release

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
razorblade

Re: The CEO of AKAI after Maschine 1.6 beta release

Post by razorblade » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:34 pm

Rationalizer wrote:
nathannn wrote:why would ableton team up with such a shit company as akia?
I think that Ableton should really consider teaming up with Ikea.
I could actually see a Ableton/Native merge being a logical move...Native doesn't have a real DAW, and the Ableton/Maschine/Komplete combo is already pretty smooth.
No...I am 3phase!

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:15 pm

T.I.M. wrote:How many of you have actually owned a MPC?
Me!

LoopStationZebra wrote: Oftentimes it's other gear that's not really Apples to Apples.:
Trust you to bring Apple into this...
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

T.I.M.

Post by T.I.M. » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:42 pm

Which one?

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:20 pm

razorblade wrote:
Rationalizer wrote:
I could actually see a Ableton/Native merge being a logical move...Native doesn't have a real DAW, and the Ableton/Maschine/Komplete combo is already pretty smooth.
Except that Ableton allready decided to jump in bed with NI's enemy in the DJ world and an enemy in the DIY fx/instruments world.

But yes - an Ableton+NI partnership might have been excellent for alot of customers - I guess what they actually did was probbaly good for business.
Nothing to see here - move along!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:01 pm

Rationalizer wrote:
yes. they should drive over in a Kia and do that. right away.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:57 pm

ollyb303 wrote:
T.I.M. wrote:How many of you have actually owned a MPC?
Me!

LoopStationZebra wrote: Oftentimes it's other gear that's not really Apples to Apples.:
Trust you to bring Apple into this...

Just doing my bit for King & Country, Old Chap. King & Country.... :lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:24 am

T.I.M. wrote:Which one?
2000, 2000xl
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

Mister36

Post by Mister36 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:33 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:I'm waiting to see the Maschine kicks the Fender Strat's ass any day of the week!!!! post.
I actually think Maschine is loads better than a Strat. :P

I'd certainly prefer it.

But that's just because I'm not a fan of the Stratocaster. Not at all for the point you were making. :)

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:53 am

I've owned - used - & abused a MPC for years. FkN limited is what it is. Maschine dick slaps MPC in the face. FACE.

Thats right. Dick. Slapped.

T.I.M.

Post by T.I.M. » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:12 am

EZ with the sex and violence chap, not my cup of tea.

To make it clear, I really dont care what people use as long as it sounds good. I did find some interesting points about mashine though....in random order.

Using Maschine you have to go through 6 pages to adjust Envelopes, FIlters, etc using left/right cursor keys. On an MPC, you have soft taps that take you directly to these perimeters.

drum layering….
Anyone who tells you that the drum layering in Maschine is as quick and fast as it is on the MPC is lying, period lol.

Maschine has the most limited sampling and sample editing of any software/hardware sampler I have ever used. Everything Maschine can do in this regard can be accomplished by an MPC, MV, or any leading software sampler. Maschine just doesn't have the same editing capabilities.

Maschine or an MPC will most likely never be the end all for all users. This is apparent when you mention that Maschine tracks MIDI separately. I have never found this a limitation with an MPC (depending on which model) since it has a program mixer, track mixer, and allows you to route audio to 10 outputs. Then you throw in recordable pad mutes, track mutes, and even quantize these mutes...you see numerous possibilities. Maschine doesn't have all of these as it has its own way of tracking with pros and cons. Using an MPC though, it is simple to lay you kik, snares, high hats, etc on seperate tracks as you record. Since you never have to stop an MPCs sequencer, you can start recording your kik drums on a track 1..hit a button to go to track 2 to start recording your snares. So to each his own regarding this as I don't really see to much an advantage either way.

However, Maschine nor any product I have seen can match what an MPC does with Quantize and Swing

I can't think of one good reason to use Maschine instead of my MPC 5000. The 5K OS 2.0 is light years ahead of Maschine in every way.

I can't believe folks are still crying, bitching, and moaning over these two platforms. Just use what you want.

Maschine synth/sound shaping tools are not great. If you look at its Pitch, Filter, and Amp Envelopes as was as its LFOs...it comes no where near an MPC 4000 or 5000...or the MPC 2500/1000 w
ith the JJ OS installed.

The only thing I'm not crazy about the sampler is when you sample into Maschine it goes into one mono file instead of separate stereo channels.

i got a mpc 60 mk1. in 1987, still working strong. bought Machine for 360 euros. will it survive for 23 years? prob not. is it good? - yes it is. selling the mpc? -no sir.

also the sp1200/mpc60 emulations are not very good imo perhaps someone could post and a/b of sounds cos the shit sounds the same to me.

I also like to sequence a voyager, ti2 polar, vst's and a sp1200. So one midi out is not going to that with good timing. :D

squelcht

Post by squelcht » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:05 pm

Sorry...I was drunk & being mean :cry: It doesn't really d&*k slap the MPC...
Last edited by squelcht on Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:35 pm

T.I.M. wrote:Anyone who tells you that the drum layering in Maschine is as quick and fast as it is on the MPC is lying, period lol.
On the contrary, MPC layering doesn't even allow adjustment of envelopes independently for each individual layer. Maschine's Pad Link layering feature allows this and is way faster to use than MPC's similar Simult Pad mode.
T.I.M. wrote:Maschine has the most limited sampling and sample editing of any software/hardware sampler I have ever used. Everything Maschine can do in this regard can be accomplished by an MPC, MV, or any leading software sampler. Maschine just doesn't have the same editing capabilities.
Wait, are you Jahrome (aka. Askia Shaheed) the notorious MPC fanboy troll on the interwebz? Either that or you just copied and pasted his posts from the NI forums: http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... post783304
T.I.M. wrote:Since you never have to stop an MPCs sequencer, you can start recording your kik drums on a track 1..hit a button to go to track 2 to start recording your snares.
WTF? You do have to stop the MPC's sequencer constantly when you're working with it. It's Maschine that you never have to stop the sequencer when you're using it.
T.I.M. wrote:However, Maschine nor any product I have seen can match what an MPC does with Quantize and Swing
Here we go again. You only have to read what Roger Linn, the inventor of MPC, said recently on CDM about how he programmed the swing to know that what you're talking about is nothing but a myth.
T.I.M. wrote:I can't think of one good reason to use Maschine instead of my MPC 5000. The 5K OS 2.0 is light years ahead of Maschine in every way.
Again, this is yet another direct copy/paste of Jahrome's post: http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... post784510
T.I.M. wrote:Maschine synth/sound shaping tools are not great. If you look at its Pitch, Filter, and Amp Envelopes as was as its LFOs...it comes no where near an MPC 4000 or 5000...or the MPC 2500/1000 w
ith the JJ OS installed.
What a joke. Maschine is much easier, faster, and more fun to use than a MPC with JJ OS from my experience with both. It's all about the workflow and Maschine does dickslap MPCs in that regard.
T.I.M. wrote:i got a mpc 60 mk1. in 1987, still working strong. bought Machine for 360 euros. will it survive for 23 years? prob not. is it good? - yes it is. selling the mpc? -no sir.
Good for you but plenty have already replaced the MPC with Maschine because it just makes sense. Your MPC60 is only going to become harder to fix/replace as time goes on. Maschine's model makes it much easier to maintain since it utilizes a regular computer with a much more cost effective controller. MPC is just a very limited proprietary computer.
T.I.M. wrote:also the sp1200/mpc60 emulations are not very good imo perhaps someone could post and a/b of sounds cos the shit sounds the same to me.
It's obvious you're just trolling but this has already been done extensively by those who own both in the NI Maschine forum.
T.I.M. wrote:I also like to sequence a voyager, ti2 polar, vst's and a sp1200. So one midi out is not going to that with good timing.
You can definitely sequence any MIDI hardware with Maschine. It recognizes multiple MIDi ports and gives you 16 MIDI channels to work with for that which is plenty. Plugin sequencing is done internally and does not require MIDI ports. None of that has anything to do with "timing".

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:55 pm

CEO of the company that figured out that square pads and circular pressure contacts don't mix.

How dumb is that anyway? Why can't they make square contacts or circular pads?
Yes, I suck at playing pads. So work with me and make the pads respond if I actually manage to hit them. Be it in the middle or on the edge.
I appreciate that there is actually some skill involved in mastering to play all 16 pads with 10 fingers. But I want something more casual and it definitely needs aftertouch. Or why not make an OSC Drum Pad with float precision output. You know, for those days when 128 values just don't cut it.
And is it possible to output an XY value for where the pad was struck?

I know, wrong thread... Though coincidentally, Maschine was the last controller I tried that had the same problem of not responding well when the corners are struck. The ones I owned before that were a PK and a TF. The only pads that really worked well for me were the rectangular soft pads on the MC-909 groovebox.

It seems silly this technology hasn't really evolved. While they have robot hands that can pick up eggs and tickle your nuts. Even bathroom scales evolved more than Drum Pads.

T.I.M.

Post by T.I.M. » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:15 pm

First of all im on the 5000. Im not going to compare 15 year old mpc's to todays technology.(earier mpc's) Coupled with a computer and vst's.

Im not Jahrome and if you arent familiar with a 5000 you would not know about envelope layers, stopping to edit, or other counter points.

Even though Roger Linn designed the sequencer, I dont use it like he does. I push many things forward and backward to create laziness or a rushed feel. Magic :lol:

Yes I did copy and post, like I said "interesting things I came across".

Again, I use the 5000.....

Speed is relevent to your workflow. Depending on how you work. We all work differently.

You missed the point with the MPC60. Do you think simplicity equals bad? It is still being use, for the last 20 years? Parts for the 60 are not that hard to come by. Except for the screen on the 2000's

Software emulations are just that, copycats. Not the real thing. Whetever your preference is cool, but dont enforce me to like copies of originals. And yes I can tell differences.

Theres only one midi output on macschine. Unless of course you say maschine, a computer, a soundcard, a midi expander, a daw, vst's kick's ass. :lol: All of which are not included with maschine.

I see you didnt question everything. hmmmmm :lol:

T.I.M.

Post by T.I.M. » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:17 pm

Hoffman, some mpc's you can adjust the sensitivity. Circular pads, that's interesting.