Reverse voice with reverb/delay ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The Carpet Cleaner

Reverse voice with reverb/delay ?

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:24 am

Hi

I want to do something like that :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNbEEpIbxFM&feature=fvst

at 0:8 just before she starts to sings, there is already her voice coming like a sweep. Pretty cool, I want to do the same think on my project where there is a female voice as well.

Any idea ?

Cheers

fx23

Re: Reverse voice with reverb/delay ?

Post by fx23 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:36 am

you can put a short section of your sample (word) with delay/reverb, render as audio, then reverse the result.
or experiment via reversing the sample first, apply effects, bounce/render, and reverse result as well to get various stuff like this.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:10 am

You must have a time machine otherwise fx23's post is the normal way to do it :)
Nothing to see here - move along!

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:53 am

Can I order a time machine on sweetwater ? :D

I'm gonna check Rverb then !

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:54 am

I forgot to say : Thanks guys, awesome as usual ;) !

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:17 am

You mean waves renaisance verb?

AFAIK that cannot do a long build up style reverse reverb - ie what you would get if you grab a sample, reverse it, stick a 10 second reverb tail on it, bounce and reverse the bounce, then line it up properly.

It has what? -160ms predelay - enough to get a 1/6th second job at most. OK - nice little effect, but do you really want to work in Live with 160 or more ms of latency?
Waves reverbs are pretty decent - but it aint a time machine :)

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:04 am

guys guys, chill out :)

Actually, it's true you can set a negative predelay with Rverb.

I just copy and paste backward the begining of the phrase, use the preset you told me, and I got this effect :) Sweet as.

Now I remember doing what fx23 said, long time ago, on snare (justice style ! )... It was working as well.

The only problem I have now is that I got a certain kind of noise when the two sample colide, or when the Rverb automation turns it off.

I have to work on that, but even in the Guetta song that I gave, in the youtube link, you can definitly hear a click when the reverbed fergie voice stops and the real voice comes in. I hear this click on the right side...

Anyway thanks guys. Love Rverb :mrgreen:

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:07 pm

Fx23 gave the answer a while back.

1: reverse audio
2: apply a reverb to the sample
3: reverse audio again, so it's the right way round

This is the age-old method of making this effect. Back when we all had analogue 4 tracks and 8 tracks this was pretty popular. We just flipped the tape over and ran the 'verb onto a spare track.

All these "reverse reverb" pluton presets are simply trying to recreate that sound. But why use a weak recreation when you can do the real thing. The preset versions are poor in comparison.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:44 pm

levimoniz wrote:
Khazul wrote:You mean waves renaisance verb?

AFAIK that cannot do a long build up style reverse reverb - ie what you would get if you grab a sample, reverse it, stick a 10 second reverb tail on it, bounce and reverse the bounce, then line it up properly.

It has what? -160ms predelay - enough to get a 1/6th second job at most. OK - nice little effect, but do you really want to work in Live with 160 or more ms of latency?
can I ask where this concept of a time machine came into the picture? what are you talking about?

there is no latency involved when using this plugin

edit

I have more to say because the tone of your posts are really bugging me. when you say "do you really want to work in Live with 160 or more ms of latency", you give yourself away as far as your motives are concerned. at this point you've forgotten the op & have made this a matter of correcting me as if I were the one with the question! do I?

you have no experience with the plug; if you did you'd know that there is no latency & there's even a preset called "Reverse (insert)". now, whether or not this option suits the op's needs is something else entirely, but all I did was present him with a possible solution that had occurred to me.

stop being irritating & coming on here with an unsolicited & unwarranted authoritative tone trying to correct people
^^^^ :roll: 'nuff said

Ah - I understand - hes french... they hate brits and allways feel inferior to us - its in their blood :P

peoples10

Post by peoples10 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:26 pm

Lol
Khazul wrote:
levimoniz wrote:
Khazul wrote:You mean waves renaisance verb?

can I ask where this concept of a time machine came into the picture? what are you talking about?

there is no latency involved when using this plugin

edit

Lol
I have more to say because the tone of your posts are really bugging me. when you say "do you really want to work in Live with 160 or more ms of latency", you give yourself away as far as your motives are concerned. at this point you've forgotten the op & have made this a matter of correcting me as if I were the one with the question! do I?

you have no experience with the plug; if you did you'd know that there is no latency & there's even a preset called "Reverse (insert)". now, whether or not this option suits the op's needs is something else entirely, but all I did was present him with a possible solution that had occurred to me.

stop being irritating & coming on here with an unsolicited & unwarranted authoritative tone trying to correct people
^^^^ :roll: 'nuff said

Ah - I understand - hes french... they hate brits and allways feel inferior to us - its in their blood :P

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:20 pm

lol :lol:

Simbosan

Post by Simbosan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:06 am

I think he meant ..ooOOOY KCUF
Ableton 9 Suite - Ozone 5
Room full of guitars!
Akai EWI USB : Loads of Sample Modeling instruments (the best ever!)
M-Audio FastTrack Pro
Turbo Nutter B*stard >>>> WINDOWS <<<< PC
Simbosan on Soundcloud

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:36 am

hey, I'm french ! Yea, we love your women too :mrgreen:

Thanks funken for the links, good track

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:41 pm

yea I checked the videos. The first video is not exactly for the same purpose but can give some interesting effects :)

blakbeltjonez

Post by blakbeltjonez » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:27 pm

Angstrom wrote:Fx23 gave the answer a while back.

1: reverse audio
2: apply a reverb to the sample
3: reverse audio again, so it's the right way round

This is the age-old method of making this effect. Back when we all had analogue 4 tracks and 8 tracks this was pretty popular. We just flipped the tape over and ran the 'verb onto a spare track.

All these "reverse reverb" pluton presets are simply trying to recreate that sound. But why use a weak recreation when you can do the real thing. The preset versions are poor in comparison.
agreed - it's easy, just an extra step or two and it sounds better. used to do that now and then for transitional parts, intros, etc with a long reverb and sometimes echo and other FX too. don't limit yourself to just reverb.