All times are UTC

Post subject: scroll wheel zoom in arranger
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:34 pm 

Okay, this has been discussed many times before, but I really need help here. I used to use mousewheel.exe and more recently Vitamin L as workarounds in Ableton Live, to be able to use the scroll wheel on the mouse to zoom in and out in arrangerview. This is a STANDARD FEATURE in most other DAW and editing software, and once you're used to is as a means of navigating a set, nothing else will do.

Ableton still somehow doesn't have this as a standard feature, even after people like me complaining since version 2! The workarounds have been great for me, until I recently got on Window 7 64-bit, and Vitamin L doesn't work.

PLEASE--does anyone have any sort of app/workaround to getting my mouse scrollwheel to zoom in and out in Ableton Live 8 arranger view on a Windows 7 64-bit machine--really struggling here, not going to ditch my new machine, on the verge of ditching Live after 8 years because of this shit.

C'mon Ableton, seriously, this is a core feature that can save hours of time for people actually producing songs on your "DAW"--your little nagivation bar dealio at the top with the clicking and dragging is original and cute and all, but not nearly as quick/efficient/effective and rapidly zooming in and out with the scrollwheel on the mouse, period. And having to click on a barline, then use "shift" modifier key and "+" key is also not efficient compared to the scrollwheel zoom.

Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

Post subject: Re: scroll wheel zoom in arranger
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:12 pm 

Personally I like the click and drag cuz I use a laptop, but I agree that the mousewheel support should be built in. If anything, atleast a checkbox in the prefs that you can turn off and on :D. Why not have both click and drag *and* mousewheel... This is a basic thing..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:18 pm 

+1

What about mac? is there a workaround?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:34 pm 

seattletruth wrote:
Personally I like the click and drag cuz I use a laptop, but I agree that the mousewheel support should be built in. If anything, atleast a checkbox in the prefs that you can turn off and on :D. Why not have both click and drag *and* mousewheel... This is a basic thing..

Basic indeed. Word, both is fine--I'm never a fan of taking away features people use and are used to--I'm sure there's people who prefer the click and drag to scrollwheel zooming, good for them.

Right now, the mouse scrollwheel can scroll up and down through arrangerview tracks (if you have enough that their size exceeds your screen size), and ctrl-scroll can move left and right. I'd propose that ctrl-scroll stay the same, alt-scroll or shift-scroll be used for the up/down arrangerview track navigation, and just plain old solo'd scrollwheel be zoom in/out in arrangerview.

Not sure on a mac workaround, I feel like someone had something that worked, but can't remember, sorry.

Dell Studio XPS 8100 Windows 7 64-bit, 10 GB RAM. RME Multiface, Avalon U5 & M5, Distressor, Filter Factory, UC33e, BCR-2000, FCB1010, K-Station, Hr 824 & H120 sub, EZ Bus, V-Drums, DrumKat EZ, basses, guitars, pedals... http://www.ryan-hughes.net

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:57 am 

when your software is less capable than the stodgy old money-brubbing Adobe (scroll wheel standard in all production software, Pshop to AE to Premiere), then you know you are officially uncool. Seriously, this will affect whether I upgrade. Honestly, I dont need to be able to him a tune and have it write it for me, though that could be amusing. What I need is scroll zoom, and a dang mute track button that doesnt overwrite channel on/off data. I do like the new multi-track looping/cropping feature if it does what I expect it to do. Finally, we'll be out of the stereo 2-track looping paradigm.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:58 am 

don't remove feature even if it is cool unless it brings significant improvement. The wise man said.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:39 pm 

Yes, and if anyone likes "group to drum rack" they can kiss goodbye to that useful feature as well. Sorry kind of OT but I'm seething.

Ps. Scroll wheel zoom would be welcome.

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection