new mononome arc

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
HeadrickProductions

new mononome arc

Post by HeadrickProductions » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:46 am

Saw this a while back and was wondering what folks think. Look like an interesting direction that knobs can go. I wish that there where at least 8 knobs and I'm guessing that it will be a little pricey coming from those guys but still looks like their are a bunch of possibilities.
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

antarktika

Re: new mononome arc

Post by antarktika » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:52 am

"Available on February 18 in two knob ($500) and four knob ($800) configurations."

ummmm...yeah, no!

exper

Post by exper » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:26 pm

I agree, it is REALLY pricey, but if you watch the video, they do things knobs most definitely cannot. Especially cool was the way th ring kept rotating as if it was a record, showing the speed of the granular scrubbing and volume was way cool...

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:31 pm

antarktika wrote:"Available on February 18 in two knob ($500) and four knob ($800) configurations."

ummmm...yeah, no!

Oh don't get me wrong it's a rip off. I think it should be no less than 8 knobs and should be no more than $400 (and that's stretching it). I think that just like the mononome they will lead the way that knobs will go. A few folks with more cash than common sense will buy them, and the rest of the well known artists will be given them for cost or free. I just think it's an innovative idea. Kobs, faders, buttons, and pads are going to have to get alot better to compete with ipad and other tablets.

Some other company will come out with a product that is not wood, and much cheaper. I think a fader with the same capability could be pretty cool. Something like the apc 40 with knobs like this, faders with some innovative capabilites and pads with velocity sensative capability could be solid
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:07 pm

HeadrickProductions wrote:
antarktika wrote:"Available on February 18 in two knob ($500) and four knob ($800) configurations."

ummmm...yeah, no!

Oh don't get me wrong it's a rip off. I think it should be no less than 8 knobs and should be no more than $400 (and that's stretching it). I think that just like the mononome they will lead the way that knobs will go. A few folks with more cash than common sense will buy them, and the rest of the well known artists will be given them for cost or free. I just think it's an innovative idea. Kobs, faders, buttons, and pads are going to have to get alot better to compete with ipad and other tablets.

Some other company will come out with a product that is not wood, and much cheaper. I think a fader with the same capability could be pretty cool. Something like the apc 40 with knobs like this, faders with some innovative capabilites and pads with velocity sensative capability could be solid
I'm anxiously awaiting a Behringer knob with a ring of LEDs that tell you whether or not it's broken and time to get a new one.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:42 am

to be fair, the quality of those encoders is surely not something you would encounter on other controllers? and the LED's are numerous and have many many levels of brightness

AND it's made by hand by a couple of people living in the USA who have a certain level of self respect. so, it's expensive

;)

monome is not in competition with behringer, novation, et al. so it would not make sense for them to develop a cost-competitive product.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:58 am

I wish them the best of luck in scamming every hipster douchebag with more money than brains out of their money. props to the ones that will get the label or whoever else to foot the bill. then there's the rich gear whores out there. they have a planet-wide audience to sell to. Williamsburg alone will buy half of them. not too many in central Africa.

it's boutique gear. tehn and kelli have built a brand and it's holding street cred and monetary value. all this after the Tenori-On, Launch Pad and and iPad releases that should have or did quell the monome series, their premier product.

no doubt their profit margins aren't very big, they're beautiful precision devices.

popcorn time.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

deepdirtydub

Post by deepdirtydub » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:42 am

Mononome ? Knobs?

Geebag

Post by Geebag » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:21 pm

Emperors new clothes

I think its great. Can you not see the possibilities? Two knobs people.

As usefull as a second mickey on a randy dog.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:42 pm

we’re initially producing only 50 of each variation. if the first edition goes quickly we’ll immediately produce an additional 50.

we expect a lot of skepticism regarding our pricing, and we understand, given we live in an age where global economics can facilitate amazingly low prices. please understand that we’re making small runs of highly specialized objects for a relatively small market— we value design, we value materials, and we’re concerned with where things come from and where they’ll end up. we’re not interested in compromising these values to simply reduce costs.
:roll:

(edit: the smiley above wants to say "cool, but fuck I can't afford it")
Last edited by pepezabala on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:44 pm

pepezabala wrote: :roll:

YOU try to pony up the cash to buy all the supplies and store them all in your home.

weak dude.

pepe as a guy that promotes his Institut with some touchy feely wannabe inspiring language yourself. I'm surprised you'd be so hard on fellow artists trying to promote their work. I'm happy to see yourself and monome succeed, the hate isn't needed.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:08 pm

uh, sorry, I guess I have to edit the emoticon. No no, Tone, I didn't want to be hard on them, totally the opposite .... I am actually a fan. If I wouldn't have to spend nearly all my money on rent and the education of my kid I probably would own a monome instead of a launchpad.

I find it suuupergreat what they do. Really. The monome is actually one of the greatest things I have gotten to know in relation to music technology, definetly.

And I really hope they will be able to sell a couple of hundreds of those knobs to the people that can afford it.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:11 pm

very cool man, sanity is restored to the world. I thought that was a strange reaction from you after seeing vids of you over the years putting music into peoples' hands. very admirable work you there sir. :D

on the flip side they do put out the tree hugging vibe a bit too much.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:49 pm

Sorry, but the arc is cool as shit.

The software will rule the day, as usual.

The milling on the aluminum is fucking TIGHT. 8O

Cost aside, I'd be more interested in getting an arc than a monome. :P

They should simply combine a 64 with an arc in one unit. Sure, the design isn't symmetrical at that point. But, I guess you could always put 2 knobs on one side, and two on the other. :P

:x
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:06 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:Sorry, but the arc is cool as shit.

The software will rule the day, as usual.

The milling on the aluminum is fucking TIGHT. 8O

Cost aside, I'd be more interested in getting an arc than a monome. :P

They should simply combine a 64 with an arc in one unit. Sure, the design isn't symmetrical at that point. But, I guess you could always put 2 knobs on one side, and two on the other. :P

:x

I agree that they just need to make it into one device so you don't take up more usb space. I agree that the idea behind it is on point.

Question: I'm going to get an ipad when they get faster and was wondering if any programmers that read this could do something similar to the function of these innovative knobs. I just like the idea of being able to cause the continual spine via knob depending on the speed of the input from your finger.