How to build an Akai APC 80 video

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jamief

How to build an Akai APC 80 video

Post by jamief » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:26 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lD1rL-ions

enjoy
:D

i have aquestion i am going to build two of these for live work. But will ihave problems trying to run 2 apc40 and 2 apc 20s with midi controllers in live ?

:)
Last edited by jamief on Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Johnson

Re: How to build an Akai APC 80 video

Post by Captain Johnson » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:24 am

How thick are the side wings??? I wanna see a pic of the inside of those things!!!

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:05 pm

That's pretty cool

3LAU

Post by 3LAU » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:45 pm

still trying to figure out how to separate midi messages when both controllers have hard mapped buttons/faders

jamief

Post by jamief » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:31 pm

3LAU wrote:still trying to figure out how to separate midi messages when both controllers have hard mapped buttons/faders
Hi yes im wondering about that in relation 2 running 2 x apc 80,s. I already havd 2 40,s and a 20 and before i buy the last 20. I believe when running one apc 80 combo running them within ableton in combination mode will seperate the controller messages on the 40 and 80. There is scant info on combindtion mode anywhere. My dilema is wether i can run 2 x40,s and 2 x 20 together in a way where i can run them controlling 2 groups of 16. I havent run the 2 40.s together yet as i have one with me hear in london and one at home. Im going home 2nite but wont have the time to unite them. I have m4l but its like cantonese to me! I will mail support and see what they say.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:40 pm

jamief wrote:
3LAU wrote:still trying to figure out how to separate midi messages when both controllers have hard mapped buttons/faders
Hi yes im wondering about that in relation 2 running 2 x apc 80,s. I already havd 2 40,s and a 20 and before i buy the last 20. I believe when running one apc 80 combo running them within ableton in combination mode will seperate the controller messages on the 40 and 80. There is scant info on combindtion mode anywhere. My dilema is wether i can run 2 x40,s and 2 x 20 together in a way where i can run them controlling 2 groups of 16. I havent run the 2 40.s together yet as i have one with me hear in london and one at home. Im going home 2nite but wont have the time to unite them. I have m4l but its like cantonese to me! I will mail support and see what they say.
2 sets of 16 channels controlled by 2 APC 80's!!! 8O There's got to be a be better way unless your doing it for visual impact

jamief

Post by jamief » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:15 pm

ikeaboy wrote:
jamief wrote:
2 sets of 16 channels controlled by 2 APC 80's!!! 8O There's got to be a be better way unless your doing it for visual impact
hi doing so that i have each part of my tracks on seperate faders and button slots on the apc. Also seperate fx and returns for each group of 16 ie reverb beat repeat eq etc etc. Blending and mixing component parts and fx from one song to the next. So functionalty wise the pair of 80 is the simplest route to achieving this with one interface manufacturer. Although your right it might look good but on the other hand i may look like an overblown tosspot. Im not to bothered either way

jamief

Post by jamief » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:31 pm

its to easy and static just to loop and play stereo tracks when doing a live set. We like to improvise around a fairly loose template and mix things up a bit keeps it always different and lets us and the crowd interact more
Last edited by jamief on Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:34 pm

jamief wrote: hi doing so that i have each part of my tracks on seperate faders and button slots on the apc. Also seperate fx and returns for each group of 16 ie reverb beat repeat eq etc etc. Blending and mixing component parts and fx from one song to the next. So functionalty wise the pair of 80 is the simplest route to achieving this with one interface manufacturer. Although your right it might look good but on the other hand i may look like an overblown tosspot. Im not to bothered either way
Whatever your most comfortable with, yeah it should look cool and if you ever wanted to change to a different set up there'd be plenty people interested in an APC 80.

jamief

Post by jamief » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:52 am

Sent to support tonight

Hi,
i need some technical info.

I want to run 2 apc 40,s and 2 apc 20,s together in ableton.

They will control two groups with 16 channels each inside.
One of each of the apc 40 will be paired up with an apc 20. This giving me 2 hardware surfaces controlling 16 channels.

Will this work ok ?
Will i be able to use the individual knobs on each apc 40 to control seperate devices in the respective 16ch groups i have ?
Will i be able to control pan and send separetly for each group with the 40 and 2o combinations ?

I hope you can help. I have already bought the 20 apc 40,s and have one 20 but i,m waiting to see what you see before i by the final 20.

best
J

Manik

Post by Manik » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:13 am

I'm curious about the following:

i have 2 apc40's attached to one mac runnning ableton.
in that way i have 2x8 matrix and faders
i'd like to map the crossfaders and footswitches and master fader to different parameters but the apc's midi are the same;
when i hard map for ex. a crossfader of apc 40 port 1 the crossfader of apc40 port 2 is automaticly mapped to the same parameter.

Is there a way to change to midichanel of the second apc so this is possible?

3LAU

Post by 3LAU » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:32 am

Manik wrote:I'm curious about the following:

i have 2 apc40's attached to one mac runnning ableton.
in that way i have 2x8 matrix and faders
i'd like to map the crossfaders and footswitches and master fader to different parameters but the apc's midi are the same;
when i hard map for ex. a crossfader of apc 40 port 1 the crossfader of apc40 port 2 is automaticly mapped to the same parameter.

Is there a way to change to midichanel of the second apc so this is possible?

This is what i'm getting at... the issue us that both the apc40 and apc20 transmit mostly on channels 1-8 and 15...

Any hard mapped button fader or knob on the apc20 will be duplicated on the apc40's control, even overiding normal clip control... once I can figure out how to separate these midi messages the apc80 is extremely useful to me...otherwise i don't really feel the need to control 16 decks djing, four is plenty enough, and the other buttons/faders can control sends and such...