Should I ditch my Presonus Fire Studio for an RME?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
darkcatt

Should I ditch my Presonus Fire Studio for an RME?

Post by darkcatt » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:17 pm

I have had nothing but issues with my Presonus Fire Studio. At this point I am considering getting a new sound card.

Is the RME worth the money? are the drivers stable? Should I just stay the course with my 2 Presonus Fire studios?
Computer games don't effect kids... If Pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music
http://www.reverbnation.com/blackcatcrossing
http://theblackcatcrossing.com/

McQ714

Re: Should I ditch my Presonus Fire Studio for an RME?

Post by McQ714 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:24 pm

they are well worth the money.
drivers are very stable.
if you want to continue having issues and become more and more frustrated, then yes, stick with the Fire Studios.

darkcatt

Post by darkcatt » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:51 pm

Is there another card I should consider in place of the RME?
Computer games don't effect kids... If Pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:15 pm

I'm a bit biased since really like RMEs attitude as a company. But if one can afford it, my choice definitely would be RME.

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:57 pm

i was in a similar situation but had an m-audio fw1814.. went and got a RME FF800 and yes it was totally worth it.. no more hassles, better drivers, better mic pres, better AD/DA.. i don't know how much more is the ufx but you might be able to find a solid but used FF800 on craigslist or something..

2be

Post by 2be » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:15 pm

If I had the money, I would go RME for sure. As I'm on a budget, Echo is my best choice.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:11 pm

Had an RME FF400 for a while - very good at low latency, audio quality is very good if perhaps a bit clinical (not a bad thing, just an observation), and that includes the mic pres.

On drivers, I have had them crash very occasionally on windows XP and crash loudly, but its been fine on windows 7/64. My co-producer uses the FF400 pon a mac book pro and its been completely reliable with that and ableton live.

I quite like their total mix - very handy for monitor mixes etc when recording.

Anyway - I took the plunge today and ordered the RME Fireface UFX which hopefully should be here next week some time and so let me sell of a bunch of TC hardware fx boxes which should mostly pay for it :)

If you are looking at RME - then you do pay a premium, but I think you get what you pay for and I think as a combination of both good mic and line audio quality and very well designed hardware assisted computer interfaces for both USB and firewire, then I personally rate them among the best you can buy at a given price point.
nuxnamon wrote:i don't know how much more is the ufx but you might be able to find a solid but used FF800 on craigslist or something..
Alot more - over here 950-1K UKP for FF800 and around 1600 for the UFX (though DV in london gave me a pretty good deal on it and some other stuff). Audio quality is supposed to be a tiny bit better than the FF400/800, but marginally. You are paying alot extra for the builtin fx which has its own additional DSP. If you dont need that, then stick with FF800/400 or even the UC which is basically a modernised FF400 with USB. For me - it was a chance to replace a load of TC hardware, so worth getting the UFX, otherwise I would have just one of the others.

Other much alternative is the babyface (same audio and USB quality I beleive as the other fireface units) - I personally dont like its format (prefer rack gear), but it might make a good companion for an MBP, and it include fx if you need hardware processing (dynamics, eq, delay, reverb etc) to provide a good monitor mix for vocalists and other recording.

Anyway - if you are mixing in live (even without warping) with ableton fx at 44.1K, TBH you probaly wont tell the difference between RME and anything else - but it can be still worth it for the stable very low latency operation.
Nothing to see here - move along!

gosinisha

Post by gosinisha » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:42 am

fireface uc working here like perfection
thinkpadT520/win7.64/studioONE2/firefaceUC/akaiMPKmini/VSTinstruments/sampleCDs

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:32 pm

I had the same problems with Edirol Fa-66 so I decided to bite the bullet and get myself Fireface 400 last summer. It's been rock solid and has never crashed. So the question is: how much do you value stability?
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

darkcatt

Post by darkcatt » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:03 pm

So I got the Fire Face 8 and OMG does it sound amazing. I am so glad i got it and the drivers are ROCK hard stable!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:12 pm

Don't forget to check out the Digicheck app for the Fireface too, very useful tool they give you for free.