Black eyed peas, hot, or sell out.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Gaetano CAPUANO

Re: Black eyed peas, hot, or sell out.

Post by Gaetano CAPUANO » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:47 pm

I did not read the whole thread. But, total sell out. I remember in 98' I think they did the warp tour. They had a real band, no Fergie, and they really stood out because they were a hip hop at that was clean, moral, and somehow stood for something greater. Then years later you see them on MTV doing it just like every other Hip Hop group.

Where is the love is great.

Isn't the whole purpose of showbiz to sell out?
http://www.customguitarloops.com
Need Guitar or Bass tracks for your project? Message me and lets work that out

DEEMUSIC

Post by DEEMUSIC » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:24 pm

TONEDICK is either an OLD motherfucker to old to change or a stupid motherfucker to stupid to change.

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:30 pm

DEEMUSIC wrote:TONEDICK is either an OLD motherfucker to old to change or a stupid motherfucker to stupid to change.
Calm down, calm down!

.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:21 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
DEEMUSIC wrote:This is for the ASSHOLE that said need to learn my history. Read the whole thing before YOU respond it was a JOKE LOL when I said if someone had not sold out we would be listening to classical. Fuck Mozart and fuck you too and by the way I like classical and other styles too so if stop doing funk and jazz and do hip-hop or pop-rock would I be a sell-out hell no, oh I forgot you have to be famous to sell-out DAMN.
that was me.
starving student wrote:prince kicked ass though
so fuck you.
hey how'd I get into this.......I'm just sayin :P

kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:25 pm

I actually hate the BEP's. I think they sold out too, but what do I have to do to sell out and be rich like them? :D
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:58 pm

starving student wrote:hey how'd I get into this.......I'm just sayin :P
you started it!!

:P :twisted:
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:54 pm

This has to be one of the most goofy threads I've seen in a while. :|

Question: how do you sell out when you have a major record label contract?

1. You play an underground or specific form of music and you stop playing it altogether to reach a wider audience.
Metallica - Black Album comes to mind. They stopped writing in odd time signatures and in a thrash metal vein.

2. You start writing pop songs with modern "sounds" in them. Various artists aping on the New Wave sound in the 80's and autotune, glitch, wobble bass effects in songs right now.

3. You start endorsing products that you as an artist have no interest or need for. IMO it's fine to endorse Zildjian cymbals if you love their sound, when someone starts using them as soon as they get an endorsement that's suspect.

Black Eyed Pees weren't ever fully playing an underground type of music, but they definitely are guilty of 2 and 3.
Anyone who isn't that interested in their music isn't going to even question whether they sold out, it's obvious they did.
The more interesting question to me is does selling out completely ruin any enjoyment you can get out of a groups songs? The obvious answer is no, of course not, it just lowers the amount of respect I'll have for a group or artist. I'll listen to the Pees when they come on the radio or tube just to hear the slick production values, I can respect the talent there. Whenever I mistakenly hear what they're saying I throw up in my mouth a little though.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:13 pm

^ well put.

Although... They were on Easy-E's record label in the 90's, but considered too clean for that crowd and subsequently dropped from the label.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:20 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Anyone who isn't that interested in their music

guilty.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:51 pm

Machinesworking wrote:This has to be one of the most goofy threads I've seen in a while. :|

Question: how do you sell out when you have a major record label contract?

1. You play an underground or specific form of music and you stop playing it altogether to reach a wider audience.
Metallica - Black Album comes to mind. They stopped writing in odd time signatures and in a thrash metal vein.

2. You start writing pop songs with modern "sounds" in them. Various artists aping on the New Wave sound in the 80's and autotune, glitch, wobble bass effects in songs right now.

3. You start endorsing products that you as an artist have no interest or need for. IMO it's fine to endorse Zildjian cymbals if you love their sound, when someone starts using them as soon as they get an endorsement that's suspect.

Black Eyed Pees weren't ever fully playing an underground type of music, but they definitely are guilty of 2 and 3.
Anyone who isn't that interested in their music isn't going to even question whether they sold out, it's obvious they did.
The more interesting question to me is does selling out completely ruin any enjoyment you can get out of a groups songs? The obvious answer is no, of course not, it just lowers the amount of respect I'll have for a group or artist. I'll listen to the Pees when they come on the radio or tube just to hear the slick production values, I can respect the talent there. Whenever I mistakenly hear what they're saying I throw up in my mouth a little though.
somebody buy this man a hot mug of seattles finest coffee!