Laptop Suggestions?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
digitalcrix

Laptop Suggestions?

Post by digitalcrix » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:55 pm

I'm going to be buying my first laptop in the next week or two. I am totally lost on where to start. I've read a bunch of articles and none of them seem to be up to date or really all that helpful.

USES
-Ableton 8
-Word processing/spreadsheets for college
-Light gaming

The first place I looked was at apple. Macbook Pro 13" - $1199. My concerns were the out of date CPU (dual core) and the fact that they do not offer a Hard Drive at 7500rpm speed. I also read that apple maybe coming out with new macbook pro's soon. I really cannot wait though due to the fact that I need this laptop for school most importantly.
Windows laptops are even harder to browse through. What CPU should i look at? Is hard drive speed all that important? Do laptops even offer dedicated soundcards? Will I need some type of audio interface?

(My budget is around $1200-1300, but that can go up a couple hundred if that extra is really worth it.)

If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

TroyP

Re: Laptop Suggestions?

Post by TroyP » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:56 pm

For your first laptop, go somewhere like Costco (2 year warranty included) and get NOT their best, but the next notch or two down. Don't bother with the biggest and best of any component. Use it and enjoy it for 2 or 3 years. By that time, you'll have money saved for another one (hint, hint) and you can sell your first one and put the money with what you've saved to get what you really want. Experience is the best teacher.

TroyP

Post by TroyP » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:57 pm

For your first laptop, go somewhere like Costco (2 year warranty included) and get NOT their best, but the next notch or two down. Don't bother with the biggest and best of any component. Use it and enjoy it for 2 or 3 years. By that time, you'll have money saved for another one (hint, hint) and you can sell your first one and put the money with what you've saved to get what you really want. Experience is the best teacher. Too much time and stress are wasted trying to get the latest and greatest for the least.

digitalcrix

Post by digitalcrix » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:04 am

Thanks for the input, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the 13" Macbook Pro with Akai APC20 and Rokit 5 monitors. Seems a good start on a small budget. I also found out that I am eligible for student discounts! :D