Why Make music?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
simonlb

Re: Why Make music?

Post by simonlb » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:25 am

hussey wrote:Was it always just something you had to do? Was it because of other artists? Is it simply to be creative? Do you wish to achieve something greater, or simply happy just making music for yourself?
All of the above.

I'd always had musical ideas floating around in my head, and always had that desire to make music. Now I'm in a sort of a co-dependent relationship with production and DJing and can't imagine not having them in my life, as time and money consuming and frustrating as they can be sometimes. It's just what I've always wanted to do and the more energy I put towards getting better at it the more I feel like I'm doing the "right thing". At times music listening, playing and making has been a simple pleasure, a pastime, an escape, a soundtrack to my life, a creative outlet and no doubt other things too.

Argh I sound like such a loser/one of these annoying "music is my life!!!" people saying that but that's how I feel. If someone told me I had to quit doing the job I do for a living forever I'd get over it and get on with my life, I can't imagine not doing music though.

silveriofunk

Post by silveriofunk » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:36 am

it's one of the few things that i can do for hours without getting tired or bored and that actually feels stimulating...

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:59 am

Because it's a social activity (or can be) - I've always been in bands since I was about 14, most of my friends are people that I met through playing music.

Also because I love listening to music and want to be involve in making it too.

And it's one of the few ways to occupy my time that I don't have to do.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

Rabalder

Post by Rabalder » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:07 pm

I am my music.
Without my music, I am no more.

distaudio

Post by distaudio » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:31 pm

I would quite simply go nuts without it. It gives me direction in life and gives me something to look forward to.

I have never understood the term that people use when it comes to someones creative work - "They must have too much time on their hands". This comment usually comes from people who are consumers and not creators.

The term "They must have too much time on their hands" I think should only apply to those who sit on their ass watching TV and going shopping or what ever it is "normal" people do.

Create not consume.

Cezband

Post by Cezband » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:36 pm

My amiable celtic charm only goes so far, and I'm not going to be able to endear myself to people through my looks, that's for sure. 8)
Live 7.0.18 | Axiom 61 | Launchpad | Homous | Nanokontrol | Saffire 6 | Ibanez Jazzmaster Bass | Biscuits
Soundcloud (solo stuff) | One Gear Go (my band)

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:40 pm

pepezabala wrote:because I am bad at sports
+1 mate!

The only way my skinny teenage ass was gonna get any tail was to play guitar and wear black!

That and the Rolf Harris stylophone I had aged 5 in 1973 which lead to organs, zythers guitars, more organs/synths, tape-to-tape mixing, crude sampling (cassettes). Tape recorder mixing (using the tiny speed head-screw to beat-map).

I now know that of course the 'tail' you get will eventually hate your hours spent making tunes!!

I don't know how to not make music these days. Still far from happy with my results and have less time than ever with more kit than I'd ever imagined owning.

Complete creative paradox in the arse so it is....

UnCL0NED

Post by UnCL0NED » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:04 pm

Sex, Drugs and Rock 'n Roll!
Can't do Sex and Drugs without the Rock 'n Roll... :roll:
soundcloud
"everything you read on the internet is true!"

channelite

Post by channelite » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:31 pm

Because I always though Metal, Industrial and drums were really cool. Plus I always used to tap out beats on like the kitchen table..

Cyberstar

Post by Cyberstar » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:55 pm

Rabalder wrote:I am my music.
Without my music, I am no more.
^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
3.6 GHz i7-9700K 8-Core|Win 10 64|MOTU 16a|Push 2|Live 10.1.15 Suite|Komplete12|Studio One V4|Reason 11|Zebra 2|Omnisphere 2||
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/nomar161

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:03 pm

4 tha lul$

Bizon

Post by Bizon » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:21 pm

It’s a mentally stimulating hobby. Better use of free time than watching TV, sports, or whatever other time wasting thing people do.

littlepig

Post by littlepig » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:10 am

Cos most music on the radio these days is crap :lol:

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:31 am

The world is constantly inspiring and you need to translate this thoughts or inspirations into somethin, be it music, draws, movies, any kind of art. Then only you feel appeased.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:45 am

distaudio wrote: I have never understood the term that people use when it comes to someones creative work - "They must have too much time on their hands". This comment usually comes from people who are consumers and not creators.

= Envy