recording effects.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bedroomDJ

recording effects.

Post by bedroomDJ » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:43 am

So when im recording fx, is the only way to record the same clip with no fx at the begining and fx added later to make a duplicate track? Right now I want a simple delay on somthing but I want it with out the delay at first. I have recorded but when I play it back the begining plays the effect unless I open my group and turn it off. Then later when I initially turned it on recording it wont play unless I turn it back on. Sorry if this was confusing to read thanks for any help.

seattletruth

Re: recording effects.

Post by seattletruth » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:00 am

you can use automation to turn the effect on and off. google it to learn how or read ur manual. is that what your asking?

bedroomDJ

Post by bedroomDJ » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:16 pm

It might be, is automation like the follow mode when play clips?

bedroomDJ

Post by bedroomDJ » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:16 pm

No I'm not talking about clip envelopes, im using a midi controller... But its not that, i mean an audio effect that is on a track I record with it off at one point and on at one point but then when I replay what I recorded it plays whatever is activated on my track. So if I want the same clip twice in a song once with an effect and once with out do you have to put it on two seperate tracks or can I get it to record with and with out effects from the same track.

Joefro

Post by Joefro » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:47 am

I basically asked this same question here a couple of days ago:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=158407

I read Chapter 18 of the users manual (Automation and Envelopes) like The Leveller recommended. That's what you're looking for.

Joe

seattletruth

Post by seattletruth » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:40 am

Like I said, use automation to turn the effect off and on during playback. Look up "ableton automation tutorial" or something on youtube.

The Leveller

Post by The Leveller » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:19 pm

I think you mean in Session View though right?

In which case: No. You cannot record automation in Session view, you can either use clip envelopes or duplicate the clip as you say.