All times are UTC

 
 



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: seems like not a lot of movie composer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:20 pm 

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 8:01 am
Posts: 72
Location: denmark
reeloy not every one is a pro that can aford logic or pro tools :)
and i was using ableton to make house so is very much a new
but still i like ableton and would love to stay

_________________
http://www.soundclick.com/obiwandkscores
http://composerfocus.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: seems like not a lot of movie composer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:42 pm 

Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:57 pm
Posts: 10066
Back on topic....

There's no way of knowing just who uses Live and who doesn't...

It may well be that 90% of composers use Live.

It may be less than 1%.

Absolutely no way to quantify that on our end.

But I get that you've got a 'feeling' about it... Prolly because it's just not talked about.

We always get geeked up when someone mentions ABLETON LIVE! during an interview, and maybe the tendency is to take a measure of usage by how many artists DON'T mention Ableton?

Either way, who knows what the true numbers are...

:|

_________________
http://soundcloud.com/loopstationzebra


H20nly wrote:
saving the planet from being taken over by robots, of course!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: seems like not a lot of movie composer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:40 am 

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:25 pm
Posts: 193
Location: berlin
....well, almost every pro has ableton....

But for none of them, ableton would be first choice or pro solution when it comes to scoring....

Every daw has it's strenght somewhere else....and as you said, dolphie, for house music it's best choice...

And as long you're not a pro you'll be fine with that...
Once you'd become one, you don't have to think about it anymore....you'll choose logic to do that job...

Repetative, pattern-music along with a movie?....well, ableton will do fine....for sure...

But whatsoever....there is no daw that can satisfy all your needs....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: seems like not a lot of movie composer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:56 am 

Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:46 pm
Posts: 695
Location: Los Angeles, California
reeloy wrote:
...well, i don't say you could'nt click some soundtrack together for some moviving pictures....

But if you seriously work on a movieSCORE, with orchesterlib's, panlaws, framelocks, notes (i mean real notes, not some dots in a pianoroll) and different cut versions....and a deadline for a final mix where hundreds of tracks must sum up in 5.1 or whatever.....

You get pretty lost in ableton...no fuckin' chance....
And if you don't agree here.....you have no clue what you're talking about.....


i repeat, i haven't done extensive film scoring and so i'm not ruling out your experience. i'm saying i disagree with you as far as my scoring purposes are concerned.

Mister36 wrote:
reeloy wrote:
next logical step in productconcept should be a next add on module like max but for video


I completely disagree. If this sort of thing is even on the list, it shouldn't be anywhere near the top and I don't think that the next logical step for any DAW is better video implementation really. Unless the DAW really has nailed everything concerning audio (and MIDI).


mihai wrote:
inside of live it runs at 32 since live is a 32bit app. you can run kontakt as stand-alone in 64bit then route the audio inside of live via the external instrument device.


Would Soundflower allow it to show up in the External Instrument device?


soundflower would allow you to route the audio into live but i don't think it would allow you to hook it up to external instrument and thus allow you to automate anything. check the manual for more information.

_________________
mihaistroe.com | facebook | twitter | soundcloud


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: seems like not a lot of movie composer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:36 am 

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 8:01 am
Posts: 72
Location: denmark
@reeloy well is on a pc so cant use logic :lol:
but yeah if i one day land a job that pays i would proberly go for cubase or pro tools
but they are kind of expensive :)

_________________
http://www.soundclick.com/obiwandkscores
http://composerfocus.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: seems like not a lot of movie composer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:27 pm 

Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:31 pm
Posts: 418
hi !

maybe live is not already totally ready for scoring but take a look at that (ok its sound design...)but i think it is interesting :

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/post-pro ... egacy.html


salut !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: seems like not a lot of movie composer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:39 pm 

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 8:01 am
Posts: 72
Location: denmark
wow that was great :) maybe whit some improvements and additions to live it could be a ok option

_________________
http://www.soundclick.com/obiwandkscores
http://composerfocus.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: seems like not a lot of movie composer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:32 pm 

Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:25 am
Posts: 1036
Location: Berlin
i agree with reeloy (but not with his smugness :roll: :)

live is great for super fast sketches / creating sounds / ambiances etc, but logic or protools is still neccesary for heavy post production. .

but i have done some animation sound design and smaller projects completely in live that turned out well. .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: seems like not a lot of movie composer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:42 pm 

Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:31 pm
Posts: 418
I pray god every day and beg to ableton for a "bounce in place"'s logic like in live !!!

plus i think to have the possibility to see all the midi parts in only one arrangement window will make counterpoints 's creation more easy and ergonomic to do .

i think that only these two features will make my year. héhé

tschuss !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: seems like not a lot of movie composer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:19 pm 

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:25 pm
Posts: 193
Location: berlin
....yeah, i'm a smugggg...... 8)

And damned right....that's sounddesign....good job....for a friday night...
Will die on thx :wink: ....but for telly that definitly works allready....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: seems like not a lot of movie composer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:58 pm 

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:09 pm
Posts: 72
Location: Austin, TX / San Francisco, CA
Don't let them get you down about composing soundtracks in Ableton. I do classical composition in Ableton.

Also, the Avatar soundtrack was done in Ableton (with the addition of the Orchestral Instrument Collection, which is fucking great if you can afford it)

_________________
The best way to help me is to give me feedback here


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: seems like not a lot of movie composer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:05 pm 

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 8:01 am
Posts: 72
Location: denmark
tiny i thought that avatar was scored in protools and maybe some logic in over but any proof :)

_________________
http://www.soundclick.com/obiwandkscores
http://composerfocus.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: seems like not a lot of movie composer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:16 pm 

Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:09 pm
Posts: 72
Location: Austin, TX / San Francisco, CA
It was done in Ableton and Kontakt. I forget where, but the composer was on this forum for a while.

_________________
The best way to help me is to give me feedback here


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: seems like not a lot of movie composer
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:06 pm 

Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:58 am
Posts: 1113
I work as a full-time film composer and use Live as my one-and-only DAW. But that doesn't mean we are many, though...

_________________
Juhana Lehtiniemi - Film composer with Ableton Live


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: seems like not a lot of movie composer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:18 am 

Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:48 am
Posts: 94
Location: Melbourne, Australia
I seriously doubt James Horner did Avatar in Ableton.

We use Ableton for some aspects of film scoring - but generally always synced as a rewire slave to cubase. I find the Video playback to be quite sluggish in comparison. Its great for making percussion beds and and sound design elements. Also the lack of timestamping features doesnt help. On the plus side, it does have direct quicktime export for making QT previews of cues for directors, something Cubase is sorely lacking. I'd find it a pain in the ass to score a film entirely in Ableton alone but it does have a place for sure. Ive never used Logic nor do i really care to. Cubase has superior MIDI features for me, and we then mix Cubase's outpit directly into a Pro Tools HD rig.

Jim

_________________
diggity...
www.myspace.com/fixederror
http://www.reverbnation.com/fixederror


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC

 
 

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group