APC20 for two Macs

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
egadelman

APC20 for two Macs

Post by egadelman » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:24 pm

Is it possible to control two Mac Mini's simultaneously with one APC20?
I have the Mini's networked thru the ethernet (xover cable) and have tried the internal mac networking
and ipMidi. It seems I can get them to sync but not control. The goal is to have the same sessions loaded on
both Mini's and have them run in parallel as a primary and backup system. I have thought about splitting the
Midi and running to both Mini's but I am new to Midi and need some assistance.

MonsieurBon

Re: APC20 for two Macs

Post by MonsieurBon » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:24 pm

Hi,

I have done this with a Launchpad, so instructions for the APC20 should be similar. I am at work now and don't have my setup in front of me, so this will be mostly from memory and may require some tweaking.

It sounds like you've already figured out how to use Audio/Midi Setup in OSX to create a network MIDI session, yes?

So in your primary machine that the APC20 is connected to, have it set up and working via USB. Then in Live's preferences, go to the MIDI settings and for "Network Session 1" or whatever you named your network session, turn on Remote, Sync, and Track for both In and Out.

Still on your primary machine, create a new MIDI track, and have its input be the APC20, all channels, and its output be "Network Session 1." Change the monitor setting to In.

Then on your secondary machine, turn on the same Remote, Sync, Track settings for In and Out on "Network Session 1." Then at the Control Surface mapping part at the top, select APC20 in the leftmost column, then Network Session 1 for the input and output control surface. Then close preferences, and click the EXT in the upper left.

So what you're doing on the first computer is passing MIDI tracking, control surface, and BPM sync to the other computer, and setting the APC20 data that it's receiving as being a control surface for your second session.

I can't remember whether you also need to set a "live routing" in the Network MIDI setup to connect the APC20 directly to the network session as well.

But I guess the other question is why you want to do this. What are you trying to accomplish?

Cheers,

egadelman

Post by egadelman » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:17 pm

I have this working thru ipMidi. The problem I am having is when I move the auto midi mapping box on the master machine the slave does not follow the new midi mapping.

egadelman

Post by egadelman » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:24 pm

I have it working thru ipMidi. The problem is the APC20 uses a auto midi mapping box. I have midi mapped the slave machine to match the box on the master. When I move the box down on the master, the auto mapping goes with the box. This causes a miss alignment of the cues on the slave. I either need to have the midi mapping on the slave move with the box on the master or have the auto mapping in the box on the master change when I move the box.

Are either of these possible?

egadelman

Post by egadelman » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:15 am

Since you asked, this is a system being used in television production to playback music cues. It is used in mostly live situations and that is the reason to have the two systems running in parallel. One is the main system and the other is the redundant backup.