Administrators, can we...

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
DeadlokAudio

Administrators, can we...

Post by DeadlokAudio » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:13 am

... please have a new forum, or sticky thread??
Can we have a forum dedicated to answering 'beginners' questions (refuse to use the 'N' word... bugs the hell out of me!)?? This way folk who get annoyed with our constant need for nuturing can ignore us, and those who wish to placate our needy cries with sage advise can do so?

Some one mentioned that a different DAW forum does this & it works very well... :?: :lol: :?:

Rabalder

Re: Administrators, can we...

Post by Rabalder » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:12 am

If your questions are in the realm of music and audio production within ableton, I would say youre in the exact right forum..

For the really basic stuff, read the manual!

seattletruth

Post by seattletruth » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:26 am

Rabalder wrote:
For the really basic stuff, read the manual!
That's the problem though. Nobody does these days. And there seems to be an awful lot of questions that could be answered by a big FAQ. I've been making youtube videos to try to help, but it doesn't matter cuz nobody knows where to find them and a new person is asking the same question the next day. I am sympathetic to what they're going through cuz i was there only like a month ago. But a FAQ never hurt anybody! Actually i wish i had one to read through.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:37 am

Read the manual.

Use the search function in the pdf.

You'll get more accurate info doing that anyway. Get it quicker too! :wink:

DeadlokAudio

Post by DeadlokAudio » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:49 am

FYI - have read, and often refer to, the manual.
I also regularly watch you tube tutorials... some of which are better constructed than others.

Sometimes the best (and most time efficient - I have spent hours scouring the interent for help that I have sometimes felt unconfident asking on forums out of fear that I'm going to get hounded for asking trivial/simple/obvious questions) way is to ask someone who has expertise in the field you are wanting to learn.
I appreciate that we're not all teachers, and hence a forum/sub-forum where people like me are not afraid to ask these questions would be great for us new-users.

I fully appreciate how irritating it must get when people blatantly dont read the manual, but please try & remember your early days of DAW use.. am sure you would have been grateful for any helping hands on offer!

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:52 am

DeadlokAudio wrote:... please have a new forum, or sticky thread??
Can we have a forum dedicated to answering 'beginners' questions (refuse to use the 'N' word... bugs the hell out of me!)?? This way folk who get annoyed with our constant need for nuturing can ignore us, and those who wish to placate our needy cries with sage advise can do so?

Some one mentioned that a different DAW forum does this & it works very well... :?: :lol: :?:
I think you are right, it would be easyer for new users to get started......... :D
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:33 am

DeadlokAudio wrote:am sure you would have been grateful for any helping hands on offer!
I still am :wink: And I've asked a million questions over the years too. I also adhere to the notion that there are no stupid questions. But for the rudimentary questions there really is no better source than the manual!

I am not saying that the manual is perfectly written, or written in a way that everyone will understand, but the learning needs to start there & branch out.

People do learn in different ways, but reading an FAQ & reading the manual are still reading. One tip: read it out loud -some people learn better from hearing.

Fear should not really enter into the equation: sure there can be rude or curt answers, but you need to be bigger than that & value the learning over the snubs.

While I do see your point & agree with a FAQ, I'd still rather have the resources at Ableton allocated to something more vital than a duplication of information that is already available.

DeadlokAudio

Post by DeadlokAudio » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:42 am

oblique strategies wrote:While I do see your point & agree with a FAQ, I'd still rather have the resources at Ableton allocated to something more vital than a duplication of information that is already available.
Fair comment!

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:59 am

I think a FAQ might be more useful than a separate forum because where do you draw the line between a beginner question & a non-beginner question? People might end up missing a lot of potentially useful info based on assumptions about that term.

I'll tell you what I'd really like to see: more info available in the Info View window. Some effects have detailed info for every parameter, while other have none! And it's been like this for YEARS...

Then again, I have to stand by my previous comment about allocating Ableton resources to duplicating readily available info :lol:

Mister36

Post by Mister36 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:15 pm

If it's not in the manual and you can't find it with a forum/Google search, you should feel comfortable posting it in this forum.

If it can be found in the aforementioned places, there's not really any need to post here about it. :P
Unless it's a pretty good tidbit but there's a dedicated Tips & Tricks forum for that.

DeadlokAudio

Post by DeadlokAudio » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:42 pm

I think part of the problem is many of us new-comers are still learning (as we all are) not only how get what's in our heads out of our speakers, but more to the point what features in Ableton have the power to create a certain sound or effect.

I know this is an inherent part of the learning curve, and theres no substitute for practice practice practice & reading the manual, but a beginner-friendly zone would I'm sure ease the process along & minimise the frustration of combing through to page 9456345 of the forum to get the help I'm looking for

If your knowledge of synthesis is as basic as mine, its hard to know if I am being a complete moron or if im valid in my ignorance!!

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:59 pm

DeadlokAudio wrote:...a beginner-friendly zone would I'm sure ease the process along & minimise the frustration of combing through to page 9456345 of the forum to get the help I'm looking for
+1

i like that they have been working on "noob" sections over at gearslutz. seems to be working. . and this forum seems to be growing quick!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:46 pm

a useful sticky would be so large no 'new user' would bother to read it.

there's already a section for this, the Users Help Exchange
http://forum.ableton.com/viewforum.php?f=2
"use this area to get basic help and workarounds from other users."

can we get a forum for new forum requests?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:05 pm

^ that....

if a new "noob" section is created... it will essentially become this place of scorn or disdain from certain "PRO" users and trolls who aren't willing to help anyway. people will read their comments and eventually i predict that most of the people who end up posting in this "noob" forum subsection will all be... newbies to the forum rather than necessarily being newbies to Live.

i get why you're asking, cuz some people are fucking dickheads when all you want is a little help, but the odds of getting that guy who isn't are probably higher when you wade through the shit responses to get the good one rather than sectioning the forum off and hoping somebody strays into your comfy zone.

i think the thing to keep in mind here is that you should at least try to find the answer yourself. then, at bare minimum, you can at least say "i've tried x, y, z and can't find the answer to this question... any suggestions?" YRMV
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:11 pm

Tone Deft wrote: can we get a forum for new forum requests?
I think there's a petition running.