Is NI Komplete 7 all I need??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
webban

Is NI Komplete 7 all I need??

Post by webban » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:12 pm

So, I've been producing music for probably like the past 6 months, and I"m starting to really get into it. I have Ableton Live 8, which i love, and I also use NI Komplete 7. I was thinking about purchasing another VST synth. I was looking into Spectronics Omisphere. Since I already have NI Komplete 7, do you feel that I would be wasting my money buying omnisphere?

I do not like to use presets. I make all my own sounds. I use Massive to get some really nice bass sounds. I was a vst that I can make some really nice soft synth sounds for liquid drum and bass. Massive seems like its a little bit too heavy for that, and I really don't understand Absynth or FM8 at all. So my question is... Do you think that NI Komplete 7 is powerful enough to make any sound I want? Or does it lack in certain areas? I've been looking for tutorials for Absynth and FM8, but I can't find too many that really help. So, I'm pretty confused on what I should do. Should I invest in another VST, or do I have everything I need in Komplete 7?
SPLIT THAT BITCH LIKE A CHROMOSOME.

http://www.soundcloud.com/tragicmagic

Machinesworking

Re: Is NI Komplete 7 all I need??

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:05 pm

Learn how to program with Absynth at least before getting another soft synth. Absynth is still one of my all time favorite soft synths. FM8 is also pretty sweet, though I've never thought FM synthesis was a good place to start learning how to program synths.

My main synths soft wise for years now have been Absynth, Zebra, Reaktor, and Massive. Wide pallete there even without Zebra. 8O

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:05 pm

yup
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:21 pm

need i would say yes.. heck i bet if you use just ableton's instruments you can get any sound you want.. But of course there is nothing wrong with picking up omnisphere if you really want to. It's your money.

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:40 pm

You have reaktor, what else could you need?

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:01 am

Kind of odd asking of its all you need without saying what kind of music a productions styles you make :)
Yes its more than enough, or no - its nowhere near eough - both might apply :)

You can do pretty much anything thats in omnishere from what you have in Komplete given time and skills, however depends on what kinds of sounds you are specifically looking for then it might give you more useful sounds (or not).

The biggest holes I found with Komplete where in good electric and analog synth bases (as most of what I do now tends to be funky house and some electro, progressive, trance etc) - so for me trillian was a more obvious companion for the electric and synth bases. I have omnisphere as well now and it has some really excellent and interesting sounds in it, however I often find myself wanting to turn things off in them, or thin them down. Actually its kind of annoying when I get a loads of stems to work on and there are a loads of fat arse effect laden sounds from omnispehere on several of the stems - what should be a simple mix job turns into a right pain in the arse with EQ, gating, complex sound element separations etc to make the things sit ok in a mix (like trying to process the reverbs and delays different to the dry sound in an allready mixed sound without destroying it - ugh!).
Nothing to see here - move along!

webban

Post by webban » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:15 am

well, I think I'm going to stick with Komplete for now. I make alot of drum and bass, preferably liquid dnb. That's my main focus. And so far I have made alot of good sounds using massive, but I don't really understand what I'm doing. I kinda just play around until I come up with some good sounds. I try to use absynth, reaktor, and fm8, i just don't understand it. How do I teach myself??? I've been looking for tutorials, but the only helpful ones I've found were for massive, and they didn't really explain how to make sounds, it just kinda showed you what to do, without going into explanation. I also ordered some books, but they really weren't too helpful either. How do you guys teach yourself?? I'm getting very frustrated because I know that I could put so much more into my music if only I knew more... Any suggestions?

Also, if you guys want to check out a track of mine... here's the link
www.soundcloud.com/tragicmagic

let me know what you think!
SPLIT THAT BITCH LIKE A CHROMOSOME.

silveriofunk

Post by silveriofunk » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:13 am

hey mister... i think you should have enough with what you have, specially if you make your own sounds...

i own absynth, reaktor, ableton suite and reason (which i rarely use anymore) and sometimes i feel like i have waaay too much choice. i know it is tempting to buy new stuff but trust me, i have been messing around with these for almost 4 years and i always discover something new... so if you have Komplete i just wouldn't worry about another synth man (unless you have money burning your pocket, of course, but that's a completely different matter ;-)

silveriofunk

Post by silveriofunk » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:18 am

webban wrote:well, I think I'm going to stick with Komplete for now. I make alot of drum and bass, preferably liquid dnb. That's my main focus. And so far I have made alot of good sounds using massive, but I don't really understand what I'm doing. I kinda just play around until I come up with some good sounds. I try to use absynth, reaktor, and fm8, i just don't understand it. How do I teach myself??? I've been looking for tutorials, but the only helpful ones I've found were for massive, and they didn't really explain how to make sounds, it just kinda showed you what to do, without going into explanation. I also ordered some books, but they really weren't too helpful either. How do you guys teach yourself?? I'm getting very frustrated because I know that I could put so much more into my music if only I knew more... Any suggestions?

Also, if you guys want to check out a track of mine... here's the link

let me know what you think!
hey mister, someone posted this link a few days ago but i can't find the whole post.

i saved the link because it is really helpful for basic synth education ;-)

hope it helps

http://synth.tk/

peace!