Is NI kickin' it or what!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mister36

Re: Is NI kickin' it or what!

Post by Mister36 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:56 pm

swishniak wrote:NI: still no DAW
I'm not sure what your point is... How many DAW developers/manufacturers are prominent plugin/instrument/effect developers (not including their built-in ones)? And how many instrument/effect plugin developers also have a DAW in their product catalogue? Although NI are obviously allowed to make a DAW, I think Maschine is as close as they're going to go to that market.

starving student wrote:watch, Ableton is going to kick ass so hard in Live 9 that there will be a crusty old size 12 1/2 boot included in every new box.
So something old and crusty, used, no longer useful, no longer fresh or new, and something that is significantly ill-fitting? :P

The Leveller wrote:I also wonder whats next for guitar rig...some of those amp sims could do with an serious update...
As for Guitar Rig, I'm not saying that it will never need updating again but if you thought the amp sims were good when they were released, why do they need updating? I don't understand how so many people so frequently want things updating that still work fine. If it ain't broke...

kabelton

Post by kabelton » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:20 pm

swishniak wrote:NI: still no DAW
ableton: still no DAW.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:30 pm

Mister36 wrote:As for Guitar Rig, I'm not saying that it will never need updating again but if you thought the amp sims were good when they were released, why do they need updating? I don't understand how so many people so frequently want things updating that still work fine. If it ain't broke...

GR4 is broke in terms of some patch change issues/MIDI. There are complaints but no fix. :|
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:34 pm

One thing that has always been missing from Guitar Rig is a quality Fuzz emulation the likes of Zvex.

Mister36

Post by Mister36 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:07 am

Well, yes, I didn't mean (although I realise what I said) that there is nothing wrong with GR4.
As you said the patch change thing and last I heard they hadn't returned Snapshots to it either. As a whole, it's not broken at all. Just still got a few hiccoughs.
And I was mainly referring to the comment about the amp sims anyway. It's things like that the people like/love when they come out and then even though they don't change, they come to be thought of as needing updating. I don't think there's anything wrong with quite a bit in GR4 but that's not to say they shouldn't continue work on it or that they shouldn't add features and more interesting components.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:56 am

kabelton wrote: ableton: still no DAW.
Then how the hell am I multitracking, arranging, and mixing the album I'm currently recording? ;)

synthcom

Post by synthcom » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:02 am

i was joining live with version 8, and at one point ableton said:
stop - no more development, first a stable programm.

even when you are right to say, they have done some mistakes and
went in too much directions at once wich affected stability, this was a good decision
and it was honest from them, thats worth something.

ok, they are slow developing at the moment.
ok, there are features long asked that seem unheard/unfulfilled.
but NI doesnt seem to be better in that way, cause apart from maschine there
were nothing revolutionary for longer time - just product care and maintance
update ( yes, 64bit too).

i dont see the point of discussion here, and i am a critical customer ( came
from Cubase, so i know what pain is with Steinberg :-)

The Leveller

Post by The Leveller » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:54 am

Mister36 wrote:Well, yes, I didn't mean (although I realise what I said) that there is nothing wrong with GR4.
As you said the patch change thing and last I heard they hadn't returned Snapshots to it either. As a whole, it's not broken at all. Just still got a few hiccoughs.
And I was mainly referring to the comment about the amp sims anyway. It's things like that the people like/love when they come out and then even though they don't change, they come to be thought of as needing updating. I don't think there's anything wrong with quite a bit in GR4 but that's not to say they shouldn't continue work on it or that they shouldn't add features and more interesting components.
I didn't say I liked the amp sims. I said they need updating, most of them are unuseable rubbish. There are only three that function in anyway as a sim to my ear and that is Jump and Hot and Coolplex. The others are useless. They need updating.

Hence my question, as a GR user, I wonder what they will do next.

They seem to have gone down the add-on route for extra dosh like Rammfire (utter rubbish) and Reflektor (very good indeed).

I don't mind that route but at some stage people will say...Gr4? That's five years old an no update? My interest is in what they will do. There is only so far you can go with classic pedal and amp emulation. But no doubt they can always improve things.

Your later post kind of backs up what I was saying and contradicts your earlier one, so I probably didn't need to post at all. But there we go. Internet opinion and all that.

Mister36

Post by Mister36 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:15 pm

I wasn't trying to argue and if you never liked the amp sims then my point was not even directed at you (merely used your comment as a starting point).
I take it there are other things you do like about GR though? It's just the amp sims that you don't like? I actually do like quite a few of them. Each to their own and all. And I'm not comparing them to what they're supposed to be emulating either. Just using them for what they do sound like, not for what they're supposed to sound like.

And what contradiction? That I said "If it ain't broke..." and then admitted to it being (partially) broken? I was referring first to just the amp sims, which I do not think are broken, and then to the product as a whole, which I still don't think is broken but does have a few issues.

The Leveller

Post by The Leveller » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:35 pm

Clear as mud. :D

No big deal, broken, not broken, whatever. Just wondered what they're going to do next. I shall be interested to see but will try my best not to lose sleep in the interim. 8)

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:10 pm

synthcom wrote:came
Same - because at the time it was a buggy heap of excrement and stangely Live 6 seem rock solid - How the tables have turned...

Just a shame the workflow in C6 still sux for what I do the most.
Nothing to see here - move along!

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:09 pm

synthcom wrote:i was joining live with version 8, and at one point ableton said:
stop - no more development, first a stable programm.

even when you are right to say, they have done some mistakes and
went in too much directions at once wich affected stability, this was a good decision
and it was honest from them, thats worth something.

ok, they are slow developing at the moment.
ok, there are features long asked that seem unheard/unfulfilled.
but NI doesnt seem to be better in that way, cause apart from maschine there
were nothing revolutionary for longer time - just product care and maintance
update ( yes, 64bit too).

i dont see the point of discussion here, and i am a critical customer ( came
I think the original intent was to say that it is good to see a company working hard to update and make products stable in a 64 bit world.

To be honest I'd rather have ableton take a page from NI and just do updates that are product care and updates for stability. I don't think that live needs many more features at the moment (well they do need some more editing features). We just need them to continue to update and give us 8.5 way before live 9. Until they have live 9 (with 64 bit) that works better than live 8 ever did when they release it for public beta testing.
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

sebrov

Post by sebrov » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:11 am

i reckon a 8.5 is on the cards with 64bit. thats just my thoughts but i believe it'll be that or on massive update and new features for live 9. which i think will be too much of a gamble on stability if all done at once. either that or they'll be bug testing for around a year before launch. as abes can't really afford another buggy version.

synthcom

Post by synthcom » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:32 am

HeadrickProductions wrote: I think the original intent was to say that it is good to see a company working hard to update and make products stable in a 64 bit world.

To be honest I'd rather have ableton take a page from NI and just do updates that are product care and updates for stability. I don't think that live needs many more features at the moment (well they do need some more editing features). We just need them to continue to update and give us 8.5 way before live 9. Until they have live 9 (with 64 bit) that works better than live 8 ever did when they release it for public beta testing.
100% correct

synthcom

Post by synthcom » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:34 am

Khazul wrote:
synthcom wrote:came
Same - because at the time it was a buggy heap of excrement and stangely Live 6 seem rock solid - How the tables have turned...

Just a shame the workflow in C6 still sux for what I do the most.
Of course, when you join now to cubase again, maybe in 2 jears you are watching at ableton
because it is so stable...i think it happens to all Programs at one point.

As a Reaper along with ableton user i have to say: Cockos have got great stability and fast fixes.