Is NI kickin' it or what!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ewistrand

Re: Is NI kickin' it or what!

Post by ewistrand » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:20 pm

swishniak wrote:NI: still no DAW
And you won't see one from them either. :P

Your NI forum moderator,
ew

Goran@Irrupt

Post by Goran@Irrupt » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:45 pm

smaucher wrote:seems like Ableton is about to quit business...
i thought about this for about one second and didn't like how i felt. #scaryshit
http://www.irrupt.com ? Irrupt Studios / A&R

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:06 pm

I cant see NI making a DAW.

I could however see NI making a very good (perhpas computer tethered) hardware keyboard/workstation to host and control all their instruments and effects (Think Komplete 7 + Kore with really good performance keyboards in 88 and 61 key versions with build in much improved Kore controllers etc). Would just blow away anything that even the likes of korg have available. Performance keyboard versions continuing on from what Maschine has started for beats, S4, X1 and traktor etc have started for DJing etc.

If they did such a thing - I think I would be on the preorder list immediately!

Even bettter if it had bits of maschine controller and X1 built in :)
Last edited by Khazul on Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nothing to see here - move along!

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:07 pm

synthcom wrote:ok, they are slow developing at the moment.
ok, there are features long asked that seem unheard/unfulfilled.
but NI doesnt seem to be better in that way, cause apart from maschine there
were nothing revolutionary for longer time - just product care and maintance
update ( yes, 64bit too).
The Kontakt and Kore libraries along with add-ons like The Finger and The Mouth are light-years ahead of what Ableton has been putting out every so often.

NI's free updates often include major new features. Ableton only really does that on paid upgrades.

NI has been putting out some great new hardware for Traktor as well as updating their soundcard line which almost always get stellar reviews.

n8tron

Post by n8tron » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:21 pm

anyone remember kontakt 2? Non-stop bugs, barely useable, took forever to update. People have been begging for an update to reactor for awhile too (not sure why though, it works great for me). My point is, every company has ups and downs. I'm a big fan of NI and an owner of Komplete 6. I am glad they have there shit together right now. Good for them. Keep it up!

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:28 pm

n8tron wrote:anyone remember kontakt 2? Non-stop bugs, barely useable, took forever to update. People have been begging for an update to reactor for awhile too (not sure why though, it works great for me). My point is, every company has ups and downs. I'm a big fan of NI and an owner of Komplete 6. I am glad they have there shit together right now. Good for them. Keep it up!
Allways a good sign when a company has a ropey start and then gets their shit together.

Its a really really bad sign when a company *had* thier shit together and it all goes to hell...

A though keep going through my head - nearly everything I really rely upon right now, or have hada total nightmare with at some point in time seems to come out of germany...

Access (Virus TI nightmare, and still far from perfect even 5 or 6 years later)
Behringer (Who shouldnt even be allowed to attempt write software as quite plainly they cant and certainly in my experience are the authors of the most trully fucking aweful buggy heaps of shit drivers ever).
Steinberg (Cubase hell... - bunch of androids who dont know what workflow is and seems to beleive they are the 4th Reich)
Ableton (6, 7 great, 8 = nightmare, but mostly great workflow with some really lame omissions - when it works)
Native Intruments - mostly very good these days, but like your said - ropey start, infact only the last couple of years have they really started to shine. I can remeber traktor pro when it came out was utter hell - couldnt even mess with it never mind consider playing live off it (But traktor 3 at the time was good, and traktor pro was soon fixed).

synthcom

Post by synthcom » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:46 pm

beats me wrote:
synthcom wrote:ok, they are slow developing at the moment.
ok, there are features long asked that seem unheard/unfulfilled.
but NI doesnt seem to be better in that way, cause apart from maschine there
were nothing revolutionary for longer time - just product care and maintance
update ( yes, 64bit too).
The Kontakt and Kore libraries along with add-ons like The Finger and The Mouth are light-years ahead of what Ableton has been putting out every so often.

NI's free updates often include major new features. Ableton only really does that on paid upgrades.

NI has been putting out some great new hardware for Traktor as well as updating their soundcard line which almost always get stellar reviews.
OK, that are arguments i have to realise.

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:13 pm

swishniak wrote:NI: still no DAW
what i meant by that is that this is probably one of the reasons they ARE kicking ass. im no programmer but i imagine making a DAW that works and sounds good is one of the most challenging projects one could take on.

i still dont consider ableton a full-on DAW, and dont use it as such, but i wonder if the fact that it is passing for (or working as, whatever works for you.. not interested in this argument :wink: ) a DAW has held it back a bit, whereas the abes could have been working on the features that really make ableton live shine.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:39 pm

swishniak wrote: what i meant by that is that this is probably one of the reasons they ARE kicking ass. im no programmer but i imagine making a DAW that works and sounds good is one of the most challenging projects one could take on.
Sounds good from a summing perpective - I actually find it hard to understand how someone can get this wrong - 1+1 = 2 after all in any normal 2 complement non-imaginary arithmetic that I know of.

Getting EQs right is a bit harders, but if the worst comes to the worst, you can allways abandon the idea of a built in mixer eq and make it a plugin... oh yeh,... remind you of anything? ;)
swishniak wrote: i still dont consider ableton a full-on DAW, and dont use it as such, but i wonder if the fact that it is passing for (or working as, whatever works for you.. not interested in this argument :wink: ) a DAW has held it back a bit, whereas the abes could have been working on the features that really make ableton live shine.
Sometimes Im not quite sure what live is either - performance tool? studio tool? - glorified MPC? end to end tool? Something to hack around with ideas in? If anyother DAW had a creative workflow that was a quick and simple and flexible - how many of us woudl be stilll using it? Its one of a kind - still 8O

Mister36

Post by Mister36 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:11 pm

Khazul wrote:
swishniak wrote: i still dont consider ableton a full-on DAW, and dont use it as such, but i wonder if the fact that it is passing for (or working as, whatever works for you.. not interested in this argument :wink: ) a DAW has held it back a bit, whereas the abes could have been working on the features that really make ableton live shine.
Sometimes Im not quite sure what live is either - performance tool? studio tool? - glorified MPC? end to end tool? Something to hack around with ideas in? If anyother DAW had a creative workflow that was a quick and simple and flexible - how many of us woudl be stilll using it? Its one of a kind - still 8O
I've thought about this quite a few times before too. I've also thought something that will probably get me shot down in flames but I think Ableton Live might have been better to completely avoid the traditional DAW route and not even implement Arrangement view as it is now but just keep it for one function that it does have which is to record in a Session view performance. Without the half-developed (in my opinion) tracking features, Live would be less open to criticism on that front and could have spent its time being developed further for what so many people love it and use it for. Basically, I think the addition (whenever it was) of those typical DAW features have been more detrimental than good.

Let the onslaught commence. :P

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:28 pm

Khazul wrote:Access (Virus TI nightmare, and still far from perfect even 5 or 6 years later)

What nightmare? I haven't heard about this

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:24 pm

pulsoc wrote:
Khazul wrote:Access (Virus TI nightmare, and still far from perfect even 5 or 6 years later)

Was flakey as hell in the early days - crashed lots and midi sync even worse then Live ;)

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:18 am

Mister36 wrote:...I think Ableton Live might have been better to completely avoid the traditional DAW route and not even implement Arrangement view as it is now but just keep it for one function that it does have which is to record in a Session view performance. ...
im right with you. and come to think of it; the arrangement view does exactly what i need it to do; sequence some clips / performances and spit them out as stems to dump into logic for further mixing. there - i like Live even more all the sudden.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:34 am

Khazul wrote:
pulsoc wrote:

Was flakey as hell in the early days - crashed lots and midi sync even worse then Live ;)
Was it fixed with OS updates? I may be eyeballing a TI v.1 at some point

kanuck

Post by kanuck » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:47 am

swishniak wrote:
Mister36 wrote:...I think Ableton Live might have been better to completely avoid the traditional DAW route and not even implement Arrangement view as it is now but just keep it for one function that it does have which is to record in a Session view performance. ...
im right with you. and come to think of it; the arrangement view does exactly what i need it to do; sequence some clips / performances and spit them out as stems to dump into logic for further mixing. there - i like Live even more all the sudden.
I understand what you're coming from.. but $800 is a lot for just a sequencing tool. A lot of us poorer musicians want the one size fits all type thing. gigging, writing, recording, etc.