FCB1010 summary

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The Leveller

Re: FCB1010 summary

Post by The Leveller » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:58 am

You only need midi out from the fcb, it has no lights like the apc so you dont need two way comms.

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:23 pm

Alright, so I pulled my FCB out of the closet for another attempt at taming this beast. I think ive got it this time, for the most part!

I have a question though, and im hoping someone knows whats up because I cant seem to find a solution anywhere:

I have a uno chip, so I have the 5 stompbox channels. Those channels have no problem triggering CCs both on/off and momentary, and properly display that on the LED. The problem is with all the other presets, no matter what I set the CC values to only one will lite up at a time. It sends the values I need and everything, but the LED doesnt show its status properly. It just stays lit on the most recently pressed switch.

Anyone know a way to fix this? Ive searched, ive tried, hot damn I want to break this thing over my knee lol (at least a once a year occurrence)

toscanini

Post by toscanini » Mon May 09, 2011 11:04 am

Hello,
just a post to summarize my experience with the FCB1010:

I did buy the iFCB in the end and I am glad I did. Along with the Snoize MIDI monitor it helps you disambiguate all misunderstandings.

My first doubt was the "Simultaneous transmission of 5 MIDI program change commands and 2 MIDI controllers per preset". My worries were that out of the 10 buttons 5 would be exclusively for PC messages and only 2 buttons for each preset could be used for CC. But it really means that one single button press can send out 5 different PC messages on 5 different MIDI channels, which is useful for a guitarist with a bunch of hardware effects.
So you can have CC all over your buttons. But the way the item handles CC messages is a bit trickier. If you want to reproduce a usual CC toggle mode you may want to assign your two available CC controls with the same control number, and with values 127 and 0, as usual. But here is the first problem: if you are pressing different buttons on the controller, as you come back to a button you have pressed before, the controller will first output the first CC value, regardless if you have left that value On or Off. This is a big limitation IMO, and probably has to do with the fact that the FCB is for guitarists in a first place, and not for general purpose MIDI control.
Another limitation is that you cannot press two buttons simultaneously (well you can, if you are sitting, but the FCB will discard one of the button actions). On the other hand, for the two expression pedals you can assign the CC numbers and limit values differently according to each of the 10 buttons, which is nice.
And finally one important thing: if you want a gate mode (a button outputting a value on button press and another on button release), you will need to assign your button to "note" and not CC. This is the mode that most Live related utilization will need.
There is a leak though: even if you discard all PC and CC messages for a button to make sure it only sends out MIDI note messages, it will still send out a CC message for every second button press. Make sure your discarded CC value is a value you won't use anywhere else in your setup.

muchachotron

Post by muchachotron » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:30 pm

hello, i am unable to get the fcb1020 scripts functioning on my system.

10.6.8 mac pro
fcb1010 + uno -> midisport 4x4
live 8.2.2

i've:
- initialized the uno-ized fcb, NOT using stomp box mode (for now)
- uploaded the Preset.syx file included in fcb1020 download (successful, via parallels -- ed dixon editor for pc seemingly working fine :) )
- added the fcb1020 folder to live remote scripts directory within live .app
- launched live, added "FCB1020" from the available control surface list, selected appropriate input via midisport, no output
- checked the default midi_map.py file, is set to channel 0 for buttons and sliders, 0 (note) message type, fcb hardware is set to channel 1 (hence, should match, no?)

at this point, i get no significant reaction or red box visible in live. i do see the midi-in light reacting in live, however, as i press fcb buttons. am i missing any steps? checking the incoming messages via midimonitor, system seems to be receiving the expected midi note values from the fcb (although, each press and release displays 2 identical note-off messages -- should there be a note on?.)

i have a launchpad that works fine (red box, etc.) but i have disconnected that for this test.

also i've been trying combinations of midi port prefs in live (track input on/off, remote input on/off, etc). i noticed i get no midi input light showing if track input is off for fcb1020.

so i know live is seeing SOME of the python scripts because the fcb is listed now as a surface, however it seems to not be executing all of the script, because other than that device listing there is no other reaction from the fcb in live now...

jjunk

Post by jjunk » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:02 am

I am having the same issue as muchachotron.
muchachotron, have you had any luck getting it to work? many thanks!

jjunk

Post by jjunk » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:23 pm

Also FYI I am Running 10.6.8 as well.
My version of live is 8.2.7
the FCB1010 send/recives midi info through a M-audio UNO.
The emprom chip in the FCB1010 is stock (not Uno).
and I'm running it along side a APC40.
The FCB 1010 folder is within live .app
the FCB1020is selected in midi control Surface and midi routing is correct.
and have done the dump..
But,I have no red box and nothing is mapped, but I do see that midi info is getting to live...
any help would be greatly appreciated.

oh also,
Thanks for all your hard work Hanz! and thanks for making so much info available!

nicetrip

Post by nicetrip » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:31 pm

Hi, guys!
I have the same problem that muchachotron and jjunk had already described.
My configuration:
Live 9.1.6
Mac OS 10.7.5
FCB1010 with stock chip

I've uploaded syx by Hanz on FCB hardware.
The FCB 1010 folder is within live .app
the FCB1020 is selected in midi control Surface and midi routing is correct.
But, I have no red box and nothing is mapped, but I do see that midi info is getting to live, there are note values as in Hanz's manual.

In the same time Launchkey Mini works well with remote scripts.

PLEASE somebody HELP! Hope, that somebody had already broken this issue.

nicetrip

Post by nicetrip » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:08 am

The easiest way to make current version of FCB1020 scripts working with Live 9.1.6-7 is to comment out line 103 in FCB1020.py:

# self._session.set_stop_track_clip_value(2)

Script fails because there is no set_stop_track_clip_value() function in SessionComponent.py

malutkodon

Post by malutkodon » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:26 pm

the FCB1020 script sounds good :)

I just do not seem to be able to download it from Hanz Petrovs blog...?
The link to the file is just an anchor that loops back to itself.... :(

Can someone help, please? :)

nicetrip

Post by nicetrip » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:38 am

malutkodon

Post by malutkodon » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:27 pm

Thanks a bunch! :D
Got it 8)