help me choose an audio interface!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ronaldk

help me choose an audio interface!!!

Post by ronaldk » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:16 pm

hi guys. sorry if this has been posted, searched around and couldn't find any specific answers to my question.

short version: i want an audio interface that is good sound quality, allows headphone monitoring of selected cue PFL channels in Live, can record decently, and goes for around $300US. FireWire or USB, fine by me.

long version: just bought myself a laptop for music making, my first laptop in general. quite happy with that. i can finally do live shows, which is something i had been struggling with the past year (getting a laptop loaned to you so you can play is a bitch).

i'm a DJ and producer, so the lines tend to blur when i play live. i'm in the market for an audio interface, and i would like it if i could buy something to use live and also works as a solution for studio work. i want to be able to use it for recording vocals and instruments perhaps at one point, but the main function will be to NOT use my onboard sound, and to be able to monitor PFL in Ableton Live.

i'm currently looking at:

Focusrite Saffire Pro 24
http://www.zzounds.com/item--FOCSAFPRO24

PreSonus FireStudio Mobile
http://www.zzounds.com/item--PRSFSMOBILE

however, the problem is, according to a friend of mine, these interfaces will probably not allow PFL monitoring. he says the headphone out is only for monitoring the inputs on the interface, not as an assignable output from my DAW (Ableton Live). he says i would have to use an output just for monitoring, and one for the main mix.

he recommended a Native Instruments Audio Kontrol, which he uses for playing live.

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/ ... ontent=518

i'd like to stay at $300US, and not go over. i can get the NI interface is only $200US, but i'd wager it to have inferior sound quality as opposed to the previously mentioned products. it does, however, monitor the way i want it to.

so, recommendations? suggestions?

i did read somewhere that the PreSonus brings some sort of software that would let you manipulate how the headphone out works. but i couldn't get much specific information.

please help a guy out. i'm trying to make a decision soon to take advantage of a friend who is travelling and can pick this up for me.

Donnie

Re: help me choose an audio interface!!!

Post by Donnie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:17 pm

The PreSonus does headphone cueing just fine. To be honest, most interfaces you encounter these days will be fine with that.

Post by 102455 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:21 pm

Any reason why you want an audio interface and not a USB DJ mixer?

You say you're a DJ, so a simple two channel DJ mixer would solve the cue problem straight away, as you want "DJ style" cueing.

ronaldk

Post by ronaldk » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:28 pm

i don't want a DJ mixer. i use ableton. and i have MIDI gear that i use to control it. all i need is a proper interface to output the sound. being as i know my tracks well, i've actually played out quite a few times and not used any form of monitoring, given i set up my loops and warp my tracks pretty well. i also want an interface because i want something i can plug synths and mics into to record for productions.

Donnie. so you say you know for a fact the PreSonus will allow me to monitor the cue selected channels from ableton out of the headphone jack? is there a particular process for this, or will it do it right off the bat?

thanks guys.

Post by 102455 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:43 pm

See http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... p?t=118726 where they mention the Universal Control mixer (software) which comes with the PreSonus, and how to set it.

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:11 pm

Honestly, its easy as hell to set up. You go into the mixer and click like two things and its done.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:42 pm

If your likely to be pluging it into DJ gear, then worth looking at Native instruments Audio DJ range.
Another option - RME babyface - it comes with a cable loom suitable for balance studio connections (studio monitors for eg), but you can get a cable loom for it with RCA connector for DJ gear as well.

Audio quality of RME hardware of course is very good, the only slight let down with the babyface is the level it can drive headphones if that matters - some have complained it isnt very high.

Ive had both NI audio audio kontrol 1 and Audio 8 DJ for a while - very happy with both for what they get used for. Have an RME interface as my main studio interface and the sound quality on what is really good.
Nothing to see here - move along!

maze23a

Post by maze23a » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:03 pm

I use TC Electronics Impact Twin and you
should definetly have a look at it.
Great sound,nice sounding preamps and really tough built.
Check it out!!

qbas

Post by qbas » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:32 pm

I use now Roland OCTA-CAPTURE which is super stable in compare to other cheap interfaces. They all work, but stable mean less possibility that antivirus, wifi or extensive MIDI data stream will lead to drop audio. 7.4 ms overall latency is enough for playing , also 4 direct mixes with dynamics and reverb can help alot. I know it is more expensive than you mention, but better to not buy twice.

Orion Satori

Post by Orion Satori » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:45 pm

Well, I had a Presonus Firebox, and it was true to it's name - it crashed and burned (not literally). It almost always had "red light" issues and I finally got rid of it. I now use the Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 and I love it. No problems in about a year.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:41 am

I've got an AK1 thats great, I really recommend it. I'd rather have an RME babyface, but the AK does me fine fir now...
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...