Analog for drum sounds

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
baltazar

Analog for drum sounds

Post by baltazar » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:34 am

I have a problem with Analog. I started to play with it for drum sounds. When i make a simple 1 loop with 4 kick hits, every hit sounds other. I mean i have a loop with 4 different kicks. I do not change any parameter and i don´t have LFO on. What should i do ?

THX

twisted-space

Re: Analog for drum sounds

Post by twisted-space » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:22 am

Use operator?

MPGK

Post by MPGK » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:38 am

Do you have Drum Rack?
Then there's a quick solution which also saves CPU:
Create a new audio track and record your kick drum to it in Arrangement view. (Audio from: the track with Analog on it -> arm the track -> record!)
If you haven't done it yet, create a MIDI track and drop Drum Racks on it. Drop your recorded kick hits on a note (typically C1 for kick), and crop and tweak to taste in Simpler or Sampler.

...actually, now that I think about it, you don't even need Drum Rack if you want your kick on a single track. ;)

kev herb

Post by kev herb » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:49 am

Probably the oscillator phase is not restarting I don't have suite so don't know how to change it but that sounds like what's happening here. Basically the wave form is starting at a different place each time it plays. A no no with drum sounds.
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words

baltazar

Post by baltazar » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:06 pm

twisted-space wrote:Use operator?
I use operator too but Analog has bit other sound and wanna use for some tracks.

baltazar

Post by baltazar » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:07 pm

MPGK wrote:Do you have Drum Rack?
Then there's a quick solution which also saves CPU:
Create a new audio track and record your kick drum to it in Arrangement view. (Audio from: the track with Analog on it -> arm the track -> record!)
If you haven't done it yet, create a MIDI track and drop Drum Racks on it. Drop your recorded kick hits on a note (typically C1 for kick), and crop and tweak to taste in Simpler or Sampler.

...actually, now that I think about it, you don't even need Drum Rack if you want your kick on a single track. ;)
I know this way but if you have 4 different kick in 1 bar loop, which one choose then for my track :D And i do not really like to work with samples.

baltazar

Post by baltazar » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:08 pm

kev herb wrote:Probably the oscillator phase is not restarting I don't have suite so don't know how to change it but that sounds like what's happening here. Basically the wave form is starting at a different place each time it plays. A no no with drum sounds.
Sounds like it may be the problem. Anybody can help with this ?

THX

The Leveller

Post by The Leveller » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:19 pm

There will be a little 'R' in a box somewhere for re-trigger, the osc will retrigger with each note if it is engaged.

But I agree the best bet is to render to audio what you like and then use it in impulse or drum racks or just as an audio slice unless you are planning on manipulating it live with the synth.

baltazar

Post by baltazar » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:33 pm

Looks really like a problem with osc phase. I have rendered audio and see that the sound always start at different position.
And there´s no R for restart. Looks like standard behavior for analog and i have to use operator or sample the sounds :?

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:44 pm

You need a "cold" (precise) synth, not a "warm" synth (unstable).
Typically analog emulators have drifting oscilators to mimic the original "warmness". For surgical sound design, you need something precise. Operator will do.

I prefer a surgical synth to shape sounds, and rather create the warmness with effects. I hate "warm" synths! :lol: (joke, but a little true)

simpli.cissimus

Post by simpli.cissimus » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:47 pm

baltazar wrote:I have a problem with Analog. I started to play with it for drum sounds. When i make a simple 1 loop with 4 kick hits, every hit sounds other. I mean i have a loop with 4 different kicks. I do not change any parameter and i don´t have LFO on. What should i do ?

THX
Record a few bars and take the ones you like into a sampler...
No! I'll never use the Push-App Live 9 !!!

baltazar

Post by baltazar » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:02 pm

THX all for your replies. I will stay with my lovely operator for drum sound :D