Advice on which Desktop Synth to get

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ramangill

Re: Advice on which Desktop Synth to get

Post by ramangill » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:08 pm

Khazul wrote:
hps909 wrote:
ramangill wrote:Real analog synths still have an edge and are worth considering, but - one synth and its character + anything you can do within its limits, vs the likes of omnisphere, trillian etc that has less abusable sample based instruments of many good analog synths, and so an arguably much broader sound palette?
The spectronics stuff, Omnishpere and Trilian are 2 that I have also been eying and many people live by!

Price is pretty much the same as well.
MacPro(1,1)
MOTU 828 mk3, Axiom Pro49, Akai MPD32, LiquidMix 16
Live 8, NOMAD Factory Plugins Suite, FabFilter Plugin Suite, PSP Vintage Collection
NERVE, Sylenth1, NEXUS2, Arturia Analog Factory 2.5, Trillian

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:00 pm

ramangill wrote: The spectronics stuff, Omnishpere and Trilian are 2 that I have also been eying and many people live by!

You will probably get so much more out of the pair of them then out of a single synth unless it has very good control interface too, and there are enough abused analog sounds between the pair of them to keep even electro folks happy.

With omnisphere there is tons of other stuff too - and much of it quite nicely done and definately not you run of the mill sample library. On that respect it even complements kontakt/komplete quite nicely too.

Another option if you are purely after very processed 'commercial dance music' sounds is refx Nexus. Its an utter cheese machine with not much tweaking potential, but if you happen to be doing that kind of thing, it actually pretty decent as a rapid starting point and has alot of very useable and very nice sounds in it.

Camel audio alchemy is worth looking at as well - great sounds libraries available for it and you can do amazing things with your own samples in it via its granular synthesis - excellent for mangling vocals and other sounds, but its also a nice VA synth too.

In the end - depends what kind of sounds and editing or hands on control you are looking for.
Nothing to see here - move along!

ramangill

Post by ramangill » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:48 pm

Khazul wrote:
ramangill wrote: The spectronics stuff, Omnishpere and Trilian are 2 that I have also been eying and many people live by!

You will probably get so much more out of the pair of them then out of a single synth unless it has very good control interface too, and there are enough abused analog sounds between the pair of them to keep even electro folks happy.

With omnisphere there is tons of other stuff too - and much of it quite nicely done and definately not you run of the mill sample library. On that respect it even complements kontakt/komplete quite nicely too.

Another option if you are purely after very processed 'commercial dance music' sounds is refx Nexus. Its an utter cheese machine with not much tweaking potential, but if you happen to be doing that kind of thing, it actually pretty decent as a rapid starting point and has alot of very useable and very nice sounds in it.

Camel audio alchemy is worth looking at as well - great sounds libraries available for it and you can do amazing things with your own samples in it via its granular synthesis - excellent for mangling vocals and other sounds, but its also a nice VA synth too.

In the end - depends what kind of sounds and editing or hands on control you are looking for.
Maybe this will help.

1. Genre is Dance and House (Mostly all flavs)
2. I try and void using the mouse as much as possible! Hence why I have the Axiom Pro Hypercontrol :o
MacPro(1,1)
MOTU 828 mk3, Axiom Pro49, Akai MPD32, LiquidMix 16
Live 8, NOMAD Factory Plugins Suite, FabFilter Plugin Suite, PSP Vintage Collection
NERVE, Sylenth1, NEXUS2, Arturia Analog Factory 2.5, Trillian

hps909

Post by hps909 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:18 pm

twisted-space wrote: As far as quality of sound is concerned, you can get very similar results to either of these using vst's.
The blofeld is very similar to largo, and a lot of people seem to think sylenth 1 covers a lot of the same ground as a virus.

The blofeld, while nicely designed, is pretty limited in terms of hands on control and if the virus a is anything like the b that I played with, there's lots of menu diving involved. A decent midi controller with largo/sylenth will be as, or possibly be more hands on than the hardware equivalents, and if you shop second hand (e.g. KVR market place) you might get all three for your $450!

If you're going to go to the trouble and expense needed for a hardware synth, get something that hasn't got a software "analog". I use a DSI evolver desktop, which TBH has a pretty crappy interface but produces sounds the like of which I've yet to hear from a vst. Maybe have a look at the doepfer dark energy.

Lastly consider that you're going to need a reasonably decent audio interface if you don't already have one, otherwise you're expensive hardware synth is going to sound a bit crap.
largo is similar in layout to blofeld sure but definately not in sound ..... largo lacks the same number of wavetables it lacks the ppg filter it lacks the same drive curves cant use samples as oscillators.. but it picks up sub oscillators ... it's closer to spec and sound of Q.. blofeld definately has a sound unlike anything else ... just whether you like that sound is the question
macbook pro 2.5 i5 os 10.12 , TC Electronik Konnekt 48, Live 9, Cubase 9, event 20/20, Waldorf Blofeld, roland tb-03, roland Jx-03, korg mikrokontrol, novation nocturn, akai lpd8

foxymethoxy

Post by foxymethoxy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:36 pm

Just get em all. All of the synths.

FWIW I have a blofeld and it's pretty damn good sounding. Way more modulation options than the Virus, and enough FM to keep you satisfied.

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:03 pm

How about a used Virus TI Snow? It'd be a bit closer in price to the Blofeld than going full on TI. I use the TI keyboard myself, but I've heard lots of good things about the Snow.
Image Image