Compressing Songs

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
monkeysee

Compressing Songs

Post by monkeysee » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:03 pm

Hey guys, i want to know how to properly compress a song to get it ready for a dj mix, ive heard that RMS is the best mode to keep a piece of audio at a consistent level, is this true? does anyone know any good tutorials i could check out?
I'd really appreciate any input cos im kinda stumped with this :?
thanks, shane

andyb19844

Re: Compressing Songs

Post by andyb19844 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:20 pm

I wouldnt put the ratio up to hight other wise it has a squished sound to it. Maybe a ratio of 1:2 or tad higher. ITs all about personal prefernce

simonlb

Post by simonlb » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:47 pm

Using the limiter with enough gain to get max peak level and a few dBs reduction maximum works for me for a quick-and-dirty mastering job (mastering is essentially what you're trying to accomplish...)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:52 pm

monkeysee

Post by monkeysee » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:31 pm

Tarekith wrote:This might help:

http://tarekith.com/assets/mastering.html
Cheers dude, i read through that and your one about levelling and they were really interesting, gonna go through them again to fully grasp whats going on :wink:
you mentioned that the live compressor doesnt have good RMS capabilities, is this still true? i discovered the mix gel preset yesterday which seems to even out the tracks a bit, but would i be better off with the plug-ins you mentioned? ive already frozen a few tracks rms'd and eq'd etc...
its really confusing to know whether i should compress the tracks or limit them on the master track as simon mentioned. I mean maybe im crazy but i could see why you'd do both, compressor to even out the individual tracks, and limiter to make everything even... im sorry if that was a retarded thing to say :lol: