4.1 update??? sucks!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
michi-k

4.1 update??? sucks!

Post by michi-k » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:37 am

Hello my friends,

bought live around 4 weeks ago and thought that's it for a while. Now they want me to pay another 120 Euro for the upgrade. Yes, they say its no upgrade, its a new synth - thats right but its a true live-synth that fits perfectly in the programm and has to be - in my eyes - part of the update 4.1. All other biggies in this field like cubase or reaktor have more instruments included. So if u all buy operator and do what ableton wants u to do I promise u they will sell us every shit (new instruments, fx...) seperately. And that's not o.k. Thx for the (really) minor bugfixes but its not fair to install a new demosynth with it, make us all hot and want a lot of cash (20 Euro for registered would be more than enough!) for it.
Sorry, that's microsuck policy!

michi-k

rictheobscene

Post by rictheobscene » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:57 am

You are right, Cubase bundles more instruments, but the quality of these instruments are pretty much crap. Operator, on the other hand, is pretty darn nice. A lot of work went into it, and I think the asking price is pretty fair for someone like myself who has had Live 4 for a while now.

However, I understand your point, and perhaps for people who have purchased Live within the last 60 days should get a discount. My suggestion is to contact Ableton and present your case. I have found them to be pretty reasonable. When doing so, you may want to consider being a bit more pleasant than you were here, as it may get you farther.
With Regards:

Ric (the) Obscene
http://www.ghettoanalogue.com

michi-k

Post by michi-k » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:11 am

Maybe ur right, I don't wanna hurt some1 but what we see here is, in my eyes, a test - what are they willing to pay...-and when these test succeded they will always do it like that. Ur also right with the programm, yes, I love it, too, thats why I bought it but I can't afford to buy a new synth every few month. And its no good style to make an update only to push a new demosynth on every registered users desktop.

Or let me say it in other words: If no1 buys it seperately, it will be included in the 4.5 or 5.0 version.

supster

Post by supster » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:24 am

Guy:

What is going on in your head that makes you feel you are entitled to a brand new huge product in a 4.1 update??? lol man .....

Answer this:

What company releases a major new component to software between major revisions ... for free.

By "major component" I mean: significant whole NEW feature set and functionality

By "major revision" I mean: brand new, WHOLE number release

Name one company that has done that.

?
[/b]
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

michi-k

Post by michi-k » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:32 am

newtek for example :D

but that's not the point. Let's them call it 4.5 or maybe 5.0 instead of 4.1 the number doesn't matter, the content is it, what counts.

supster

Post by supster » Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:48 pm

michi-k wrote:newtek for example
I knew you'd come up with something ...

I bet if I googled for a little while, I could find an example of somebody who died reaching for a Big Mac they accidentally dropped off of a bridge.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

Goran@Irrupt

Post by Goran@Irrupt » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:04 pm

supster wrote: I knew you'd come up with something ...

I bet if I googled for a little while, I could find an example of somebody who died reaching for a Big Mac they accidentally dropped off of a bridge.
:D :D :D
now, this is funny!

hey michi dude, chill mate. you don't have to pay for an update. you got some bugs fixed, i'm sure you'll get more of them fixed in da future.
for free!
if you don't need new product, don't buy it. simple as that.

...big mac... he, he...

w :!:
http://www.irrupt.com ? Irrupt Studios / A&R

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:06 pm

supster wrote:Guy:

Answer this:

What company releases a major new component to software between major revisions ... for free.

By "major component" I mean: significant whole NEW feature set and functionality

?
[/b]

Propellerheads with Reason 2.5 - Scream / REV7000 / B512 Vocoder and Maelstrom.

There that was an easy one
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

supster

Post by supster » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:06 pm

btw:

Its no big secret that you can record audio clips with operator, then use them in another set.

I just came up with a major new element for a track i've been working on for a while, and it totally works like a charm

So, guess what? They *did* give away something for free.

(Dont think Ableton doesnt know it, either. Its not an accident)
--

michi-k

Post by michi-k » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:18 pm

Hey supster,
so u want an answer or not :wink:

btw. Lightwave I was talking 'bout is an 1500 $ 3d Animationsoftware and other big animationprogramcompanies do it, too. And why they have to do that? Cause the users demand and expect that, so other companies in that field do it, too.

What I mean is we have it in our hand. If there is no rumours here 'bout that, the ableton management feels confirmed in their update policy by the users and goes on in these direction.

I'm no member of the ableton management :P, don't know what they plan in the future and hope I'm wrong :wink:

zebastian21

Post by zebastian21 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:58 pm

when logic 6 pro came out the upgrade was 199 , but man....all the emagic plug ins were included!!! no one can dare to say that emagic plug ins are crap. the bundle cost a lot of money and we got it for just 199!! .
i think cubase just released a new reverb for sx3 for FREE.
Reason 2.5 was FREE for 2.0 owners .
im not expecting to get every new release for free, but i think after a few months of paying 129 bucks for version 4 to pay 150 for a new synth is a lot of money. Operator is a great synth, but is nothing comparared to other synths you can get for the same money or cheaper...take a look at LINPLUG web, URS with zebra and filterscape, Reaktor Session( i got it for 150 in nyc )....Vanguard, and the list goes on and on.....i personally think (i know what the market of plugs in is) that Operator adition its worth no more than 29 bucks top. and even for that price i wouldnt buy it either, i have so many great plugs in already.
what i would pay for is.....support for G5 double processor
Freeze function
multiple screens support.
mackie control support.
improved dj tools(pitch bend,etc)
Rex compability.
apple loops compability.
sounds fair to me :roll:
stop talking.....start working...:)
Macbook pro. Logic pro/Live. Access Virus Ti. Genelec 8040. my bread and butter :)

AdamJay

Re: 4.1 update??? sucks!

Post by AdamJay » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:20 pm

michi-k wrote:(20 Euro for registered would be more than enough!) for it.
okay, well then how much would you expect un-registered users to pay for it then eh? considering only registered users would be ABLE to use it.

michi-k

Post by michi-k » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:41 pm

okay, well then how much would you expect un-registered users to pay for it then eh? considering only registered users would be ABLE to use it.
hehe, what I mean is that we all have paid for the program (me 4 weeks ago).

Imagine ableton said " o.k. here is ur 4.1..costs nothing...and we have something new that costs 150 $ and u can try out for free if u want there wouldn't be so much rumour. But they made 1dl and force u to install the demo no matter if u want or not. I personally don't like to be manipulated but in my eyes thats what they do...

Jomdom

Post by Jomdom » Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:54 pm

supster wrote:What company releases a major new component to software between major revisions ... for free.

Image-Line (FL Studio) is known for this.
"No one cares, no one sympathizes; you just stay home and play synthesizers."
- Flight of the Conchords

tommy2000

Post by tommy2000 » Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:18 pm

supster wrote:Guy:

What is going on in your head that makes you feel you are entitled to a brand new huge product in a 4.1 update??? lol man .....

Answer this:

?
[/b]
That would be Spectrasonics, with their 1.2 free upgrade to Stylus RMX announced at NAMM and available now.

3 new effects processors, a boatload of presets for the new and existing effects units, a new trigger mode, and several other tasty freebies. Stylus RMX is a tremendous add-on to Live. (although you do need to pay for it :wink: )

That's just to answer your question about whose provided a new component between major releases.

If I just bought Live, my expectation would NOT be to have Operator released for free. I'm baffled by the number of posts here where folks think that should be the case. Not to belabor the obvious, but Live and Operator are two separate products.

If I really wanted high quatlity bundled-in synths and such, I'd buy Logic. It's set of bundled-in software is superb, but then again I'm not a fan of Logic from a UI perspective. That's why I buy Live instead, full well knowing that I'll need to buy my soft synths and stuff elsewhere.

Enjoy Operator, it's a very well designed and programmed FM synth...and it costs some $$$'s. C'est la vie. I'm wishing Ableton success in their new venture, and hoping for more instruments to come. It's well worth it to me when someone spends the time to make using soft synths easier...that's pays for the product right there.

Peace in 2005,

Tom